Anyone own/fired a .327 magnum?

I've had my eye on a S&W 642 for sometime. However, I am kinda intrigued by the Federal .327 magnum.

I looked on S&W's site and they are now offering a model 632 in .327

Looked all over Gore's "Internet" and ammo supplier's are scarce at best.

Anybody own or have shot this cartridge in either the Ruger, Taurus, Charter, or S&W formats?

It sounds quite interesting to me and I'm kinda itching for one, although not excited about paying the price for the 632 [thinking]

I think it's either: A great cartridge for concealed carry or A hilarious, unneeded in-between cartridge that serves no purpose. It depends on the day. Ammo will be hard to come by, but performance is pretty good, if you ask me.

.38 Special +P 158Gr @1000fps w/ 351 ft/lbs

.327 Rem Mag 115Gr @1300fps w/ 435 fp/lbs

The ballistics are impressive, but IMO a 115 gr projectile may not have enough mass to provide adequate penetration. I don't think I'll buy one, esp with ammo availability. I would rather have 5 158Gr .38's than 6 115gr .327s.

But I understand (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that .327 pistols accept .32 and .32mag as well. But even .32 is hard to come by. Do you reload?

I'm one of the few .32 H&R Mag fans around. The .32 H&R is a cartridge you don't want to have to buy. Unless you reload, forget it. Once you buy the brass ('cause you ain't gonna find it at the range) and dies it's dirt cheap to reload. It's a great cartridge that is under appreciated by the masses. You can load it light, load it heavy (.38+P equivalent) whatever. Not every gun you have to own has to be an elephant killer. The idea being a lot of shooting is having a good time at the range. I assure you a .32 H&R is a good time at the range. I expect the .327 would be somewhat equivalent. I haven't looked at what the difference is between the .32 H&R and the .327 but based on the .32 H&R history I would be careful about buying a new caliber so close in size to an already failed caliber.

I do not currently reload. I agree that the ballistics are impressive, but like whatluck said, maybe not enough mass for the bullet.

I was surprised to see 85-grain offerings, those would be nice to shoot at the range.
It remains to be seen whether or not it'll catch on. After talking with my brother today, I realized that it'd be wiser to wait a year or so and see if some of the big companies start rolling out more models.

I'll probably end up grabbing a 642CT, but it certainly has me interested and wondering if this is gonna be the first generation of a new, long-standing caliber.

I'm betting it won't. The 642 and it's .38/.357 cal brethren are inexpensive to own & have lots of flexibility in purchase ammo options and ammo reloading options.
More so than ever cost of ownership will rear it's ugly head and dictate mainstream market direction. The .327 will probably remain a niche firearm (like the .32 H&R)
for that reason alone.

I do not currently reload. I agree that the ballistics are impressive, but like whatluck said, maybe not enough mass for the bullet.

I was surprised to see 85-grain offerings, those would be nice to shoot at the range.
It remains to be seen whether or not it'll catch on. After talking with my brother today, I realized that it'd be wiser to wait a year or so and see if some of the big companies start rolling out more models.

I'll probably end up grabbing a 642CT, but it certainly has me interested and wondering if this is gonna be the first generation of a new, long-standing caliber.

If I was to buy a .327 Federal, I would make sure I planned to reload for it. Basically a .32 case stretched to .357 length and pressure/ballistics. I don't believe the 115gr bullet will have any problem with penetration, 9mm uses 115 gr bullets and penetrates decently, and the .327 has less frontal area and more power pushing it. I think it's a great defense cartridge for a compact snubbie, as it does give you an extra round and magnum punch. Though I feel it will have more of a devoted cult following than ever truly be a mainstream round. Too many are devoted to .38sp/.357mag at this point, and unless a lot of the newer generation of shooters pick it up it will surely fall to niche status. But if we all skip over it, it will surely fall from big name ammo lists.

... I realized that it'd be wiser to wait a year or so ...

The .327 has been out there long enough that I wouldn't expect a big change in the next year. But what do I know? All the gun mags say it's really caught on (but you can't trust the gun mags). It is just possible that the development of the cartridge has been delayed by the general ammo shortage, i.e. all the ammo companies have been so pressed to meed demand for established products that they haven't supported the .327. If there is unmet demand, more companies will start producing for it.

They keep inventing (or reviving) odd calibers to sell more guns. How's that .45 GAP working for you? How about all those Winchester Short Magnums?
If you reload, it may work. Good luck if you ever want to sell it.

They keep inventing (or reviving) odd calibers to sell more guns. How's that .45 GAP working for you? How about all those Winchester Short Magnums?

On the other hand, there is a camp of "invented" calibers that have worked out. 357 SIG is here to stay, for example. But I'd be worried that .327 is likely more GAP than SIG.

Back
Top Bottom