Anyone own an AR-10?

Mass-diver

NES Member
After selling my PTR a few months ago, I'm feeling the draw of the .308 again. My B-day is at the end of the summer and I was going to ask the wife for a S&W scandium 1911. However another black rifle might be even nicer. Can you get Armalite AR-10sw in MA? Is the price as crazy as M1As? I'd probably want an A3 handle, but otherwise just the entry level rifle.

Thanks

I'm interested in one myself, but I want to buy the components and build it. Some of the research I have done has indicated thet the .308 round is a little hard on this gun. I am going to wait a while before I spend any of my precious money.

First of all you must have an awesome wife....I wish I could get mine to buy me guns like that [thinking].. Not sure on the legality of the AR-10, but have you thought of an AR-15 in 5.56mm/.223 caliber? As far as I have seen the ammo cost is a good 50% or more lower.

First of all you must have an awesome wife....I wish I could get mine to buy me guns like that [thinking].. Not sure on the legality of the AR-10, but have you thought of an AR-15 in 5.56mm/.223 caliber? As far as I have seen the ammo cost is a good 50% or more lower.

In terms of the wife, she's an angel, but the deal pretty is that I get guns and she gets jewlery.

I have a BM AR-15 .223 that I love, but I really like the .308 round.

ar.jpg

I absolutely love mine. Originally it was an A2 configuration, but ended up getting an A4 upper for it. Now just waiting for Samson Mfg to come out with the 2 piece free float hand guard for it. One of these days I will get around to getting another lower. Take a look at DPMS, I believe they make a .308 also.

here is one of mine:

AR10T.jpg

and another one:

L1010396.jpg

both are nice shooters - the (T) is a little picky about ammo but the A4 will eat anything!

I've got an Armalite AR-10 A4.

Pros: same ergonomics as an AR15. Accurate. Good trigger with an Armalite National Match trigger. Good sights. Easy to mount a scope.

Downs: significantly longer and heavier than an AR-15. Fine off a bench or prone, but just too big, unwieldy, and off-balance for comfortable shooting off-hand. The hold-open device on the magazine is a pain the thumb. The magazine retention is not as secure as an AR-15 or M1A. On my rifle, it is easy to think you have the magazine properly seated, but not actually have it seated all the way.

I prefer my M1A. YMMV.

Any feed back on reliability and longevity with the .308 round?

If you want an all out MBR, I would probably suggest a FAL, second a M1/14, third, a AR10... That said, as far as accuracy goes - reverse that order...

I own all three flavors and I prefer the AR10 as a fun to shoot gun and easiest to carry of the three (ergos and weight).

The 10(T) I have owned for about 10 years, the A4C for 6 - no problems mechanically with either. The A4C has a round count of over 7K of all sorts of surplus from CAVIM to Port.

The toughest part of owning the AR10 for me used to be getting mags that worked reliably - a lot of trial and error there. I think Armalite has fixed that finally. Locking in a full mag on a closed bolt is tough as others have observed.

Scooter gazes in lust on the A4C...

AR10C.jpg

If you want an all out MBR, I would probably suggest a FAL, second a M1/14, third, a AR10
I've got all three. I'd take the M1A or the AR10 long before the FAL.

There is this internet love affair with the FAL that I will never understand.

The trigger sucks and there's not much you can do with it. The sights suck as well. If you have the gas port open too much, then the empty cartridge cases don't eject fully and get stuck between the dust cover and the bolt carrier. If this happens, you can't disassemble the gun to clear the jam. If you are lucky, kicking the handle will clear the jam. If not, you've got a club. This has happened twice to me. In contrast, I've never had a jam or misfeed in my AR10 or M1A.

In addition, the magazine base-plates are a weak point of the FAL. On two occasions I've had the base plate come off and the rounds dump out at my feet.

Finally, the FAL receiver is overly long, placing the front handguard way, way too far forward. The result is a poorly balanced gun that is very difficult to shoot offhand.

My favorite of the three is the M1A. Second place is the AR10. I won't put the FAL in third place -- it doesn't deserve that high a place. YMMV.

I second M1911's take - if you can stand it, get the M1A; you'll be happier. I made this choice a few months ago (needed a 308 with detachable mag) and while at the time I was considering which to get first, I now have completely forgotten about almost getting the AR10. My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom