Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

Plenty of SPP available in the classifieds....
Maybe I could afford them if Karen the Mod didn't nuke my own ad for investment grade primers. My prices and trades may have been ludicrous by some measures, but no more so than much of the crap still listed. Once you hit a certain threshold of rape pricing, we're only talking shades of insanity. I guess the knee-jerk 'cuz capitalism' response to price gouging only applies to some? I should ask for a green member refund. [rofl]

What I don't get is if someone has a connection to a certain overseas producer, why not bring in a pallet of Berdan primers?

Maybe I could afford them if Karen the Mod didn't nuke my own ad for investment grade primers. My prices and trades may have been ludicrous by some measures, but no more so than much of the crap still listed. Once you hit a certain threshold of rape pricing, we're only talking shades of insanity. I guess the knee-jerk 'cuz capitalism' response to price gouging only applies to some? I should ask for a green member refund. [rofl]

What I don't get is if someone has a connection to a certain overseas producer, why not bring in a pallet of Berdan primers?
[laugh] I wasn't referring to your primers in the classifieds. But I think you knew that lol

[laugh] I wasn't referring to your primers in the classifieds. But I think you knew that lol
I knew that- I was just venting that some can ask ridiculous prices and fall under the radar. Must have been the offer to trade for waterfront property in NH but really it should not matter- I would certainly trade my precious primers for that.

If I were the shill account type, I'd set up a new screen name and in the General forum post a "What Are My Primers Worth?" thread as a non-green participant. That would be epic, LOL.

Follow me for more 'savage' ideas... [devil]

Educate me please. I was not aware of that demand. What guns/loads are using Berdans these days?
One for sure would be 7.5 Swiss. GP11 ammo has been scarce the last few years. GP11 brass is excellent, but Berdan primed. I'm sure there are others. While not a huge market that would be sustainable for ongoing production in the US, a pallet or so of primers would go quickly enough. If someone had the connection and the landed cost allowed enough profit to make the effort worthwhile- yeah, I could front money. The problem is doing this with someone I don't know as the go-between.

Educate me please. I was not aware of that demand. What guns/loads are using Berdans these days?
Okay, since my name was dropped, here are a few common calibers that could be reloaded easily were .217" diameter berdan primers available (these are about the only berdan primers that have been available to US consumers):
8mm (Yugo, Turkish, Romanian steel..), 7.62x54R (Albanian brass), most 7.65x54mm, 7.5x55mm (GP11, Lapua, etc.), 7.5x54mm, 6.5x55mm (VPT, surplus), 7.62x51mm (South African, HP, etc.), 7.62x39mm (Murom lists the KV-24N for these, but the KV-7,62N works just fine). there are many others, I'm sure.
Granted, most of these calibers are available in boxer-primed brass, so is it essential to reload your empty berdan-primed cases? Your call.

If you need Dynamit-Nobel 6.35mm, Nr.: 6000 or RWS 6.34mm Nr.: 6000 primers, come see me.

Attachments

• P2240021.JPG
    P2240021.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
  • MEN-85a.jpg
    MEN-85a.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Okay, since my name was dropped, here are a few common calibers that could be reloaded easily were .217" diameter berdan primers available (these are about the only berdan primers that have been available to US consumers):
8mm (Yugo, Turkish, Romanian steel..), 7.62x54R (Albanian brass), most 7.65x54mm, 7.5x55mm (GP11, Lapua, etc.), 7.5x54mm, 6.5x55mm (VPT, surplus), 7.62x51mm (South African, HP, etc.), 7.62x39mm (Murom lists the KV-24N for these, but the KV-7,62N works just fine). there are many others, I'm sure.
Granted, most of these calibers are available in boxer-primed brass, so is it essential to reload your empty berdan-primed cases? Your call.

If you need Dynamit-Nobel 6.35mm, Nr.: 6000 or RWS 6.34mm Nr.: 6000 primers, come see me.
Excellent post.

Not really necessary but with big piles of high quality Ruag 7.5 Swiss brass and difficulty finding boxer primed these days it would be great to have the option to reuse this brass. PITA getting spent primers out compared to Boxer, but I'm not alone in the search for appropriate Berdan primers.

There is one place that lists them, but I'm not sure if they are KV-7,62N or KV-27N equivalents. Based on their part number, I'd guess they are the 6.49mm or KV-27N primers, not suitable for the GP11:
These would make many surplus/foreign 7.62x54R cases reloadable. Of course, you can obtain boxer-primed 54R o-f range brass for 20¢ a piece at Midstate Gun Company in Coventry, RI, so why bother.

Never mind...even at 32¢ each, they are OOS!

I don't have the link in front of me, but I have seen a listing for Sinoxid (RWS) and D-N primers somewhere. IIRC, the 6.34/5mm primers work in certain .303 British cases.

Also, the beauty of the GP11 brass is that it decaps hydraulically with ease. If you don't have a good seal with your broken Lee decap punch, simply take a plastic bread wrapper over the case mouth. That usually does it.

Now, with French MAS and .30-06, SA. 7.62x51 and Yugo 8mm, you may get poor results with water. Heck, I couldn't get the French primers out with a mechanical decapper! Thank goodness for PPU with most foreign calibers!

Last edited:
Larry has Remington Large pistol primers and CCI Magnum small pistol primers too.
That latest price increase is leaving primers in-stock longer. I just watch, not buying at Larry's prices now. I see Weston Shooters Club took down the $250 per 1k primers, too! I'm not exactly loaded with primers, but I'm comfortable for the moment considering I only got into this in December.

That latest price increase is leaving primers in-stock longer. I just watch, not buying at Larry's prices now. I see Weston Shooters Club took down the $250 per 1k primers, too! I'm not exactly loaded with primers, but I'm comfortable for the moment considering I only got into this in December.
Midway is limiting how many can you can purchase per day which is probably impacting availability more than price. The website may say “available” but try adding them to your cart....you can’t because they’re out of stock in minutes.

Saw this posted on another forum today. Apparently it was posted on a well known vendor's facebook page.

-----

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.

Saw this posted on another forum today. Apparently it was posted on a well known vendor's facebook page.

-----

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.

Makes sense to me- good post. I've seen the same thing happen with industrial raw materials and especially rare earth oxides around 8-9 years ago. Speculators jumped in as demand began to strongly out-pace supply, thus turning the situation into a crisis. This was a serious strategic weakness for the US, because China had control of over 97% of the global production of rare earth oxides necessary for many critical defense systems. Something was done about that- the Mountain Pass facility was re-opened, modernized, and expanded (even in Kommifornia!) to break the US dependence on China for strategic minerals:

1619653163867.jpeg

What I don't like about the primer situation is that the producers refuse to do anything about their capacity and simply expect everyone to just ride out the supply crisis. Would have been a great time to make a bold move and grab some serious market share. Instead, they almost act like a cartel (trade cartel, not drug cartel). Enough time has passed that if they were going to respond we would be seeing the results by now. Another reason I'm seriously considering archery, LOL.

What I don't like about the primer situation is that the producers refuse to do anything about their capacity and simply expect everyone to just ride out the supply crisis. Would have been a great time to make a bold move and grab some serious market share. Instead, they almost act like a cartel (trade cartel, not drug cartel). Enough time has passed that if they were going to respond we would be seeing the results by now. Another reason I'm seriously considering archery, LOL.
If capacity increases, there will be downward pressure on prices post-shortage as manufacturers try to keep their equipment running.

Back
Top Bottom