Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might need to liquidate 10k primers if people are buying at those prices....
I was seriously tempted but you’re only going to get those prices on GB. And I’m not risking fines or jail to ship hazmat without the training/special accounts etc.

Though it’s worth mentioning that Shooters Outpost has the 12k count crates of Fiocchi small rifle primers for $299.

Could technically use those for small pistol loads....

I had to make a run up to Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton last night to drop off a load of targets they are borrowing. I stopped at SO on the way. They had plenty of CCI 500 SP primers but they limited you to 1k. I ended up getting them and 1k of CCI 41.

No H335 Powder, no Red Dot powder. No 223/5.56 bullets, no 38spl bullets.

Ammo was picked clean. They were also limiting the amount of 9mm you could buy. They had bulk Lake City 5.56, 1800 count but it was well over $1000.

This shortage has happened before and the primer shortage is connected to Ammo sales. Manufacturers are sending all their primers to ammunition manufacturers (in many cases themselves). I stopped at one of my favorite South Coast stores last week to pick up some bullet heads and after I got the bullet heads and powder I had the following conversation with the owner :

O - anything else you need?
me - I don't suppose you have primers?
O - I got them but you don't want them unless you NEED them. (then shows me a box of SPP for $113!!!)
me - Seriously?
O - Yes I only carry them for people who NEED them. My distributor is not even accepting orders for SPP right now and told me he has no estimate of when he will be. These boxes are for people who need them.

FYI - He also had no 9MM target ammo. Only self defense.

Also stopped at Bass Pro because they had CFE223 listed as in stock (which they did not have) and watched a clueless customer asked a desk clerk "Are you serious that you have no 9MM?"

I had to make a run up to Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton last night to drop off a load of targets they are borrowing. I stopped at SO on the way. They had plenty of CCI 500 SP primers but they limited you to 1k. I ended up getting them and 1k of CCI 41.

Ammo was picked clean. They were also limiting the amount of 9mm you could buy. They had bulk Lake City 5.56, 1800 count but it was well over $1000.

Wow. Those 1800 count cases were $860 less than 2 weeks ago and I passed on them. That was before 5.56 was selling out online in minutes at $500 a case.

This shortage has happened before and the primer shortage is connected to Ammo sales. Manufacturers are sending all their primers to ammunition manufacturers (in many cases themselves). I stopped at one of my favorite South Coast stores last week to pick up some bullet heads and after I got the bullet heads and powder I had the following conversation with the owner :

O - anything else you need?
me - I don't suppose you have primers?
O - I got them but you don't want them unless you NEED them. (then shows me a box of SPP for $113!!!)
me - Seriously?
O - Yes I only carry them for people who NEED them. My distributor is not even accepting orders for SPP right now and told me he has no estimate of when he will be. These boxes are for people who need them.

FYI - He also had no 9MM target ammo. Only self defense.

Also stopped at Bass Pro because they had CFE223 listed as in stock (which they did not have) and watched a clueless customer asked a desk clerk "Are you serious that you have no 9MM?"
Looks like he was pricing them based on gun broker auctions...

• Haha
Reactions: jpm

If you need powders check out Glenn's Ammo in North Reading. That guy always seems to have hard to get components. I bought a bunch of CFE223, H335, and Sport Pistol from him earlier this year before the SHTF.

Also Al's Gun shop in Derry, NH carries a lot of powder.

Not saying its the cause, but a contributing factor-

So take a company like Fed (or Win or whoever) that has several contracts, and has to fulfill those contracts before releasing ammo for retail sales.
Productions rates are the same across all companies, but retail panic causes a shortage. Throw in powder manufactures that have to keep up with or divert to ammo companies for their contract obligations.

Blah blah blah.

Correct me if I'm wrong but those crates of 855 were $1050 for 1800 rounds

Thats .58/round

Given the current conditions and avail (ie none avail online) I would say that Jim/SO is MORE than fair with their pricing

He could just as easily chuck that up for sale online and sell it for considerably more PLUS shipping

Correct me if I'm wrong but those crates of 855 were $1050 for 1800 rounds

Thats .58/round

Given the current conditions and avail (ie none avail online) I would say that Jim/SO is MORE than fair with their pricing

He could just as easily chuck that up for sale online and sell it for considerably more PLUS shipping

Yes. Honestly I couldn't remember the exact price and for some reason $1400 was stuck in my mind.

I am not the biggest fan of SO however price, availability and limiting quantities has not been anything I've held against them.

I will say there is a local place here in MA that was selling Magtech M193 for $0.40 a round. Don't know how much inventory they had but I was able to grab a bunch last week.

Is there even such a thing as small rifle magnum primers?? I can't think of a cartridge that would qualify for that.

Dunno

All I remember is walking past a stack of crates of primers and seeing "magnum" in the label and moving on.....dont need no stinkin' magnum primers for anything I have

Dunno

All I remember is walking past a stack of crates of primers and seeing "magnum" in the label and moving on.....dont need no stinkin' magnum primers for anything I have
That might explain why there were so many lol. @wegman did say it was stacked like 6 feet high. If they were standard rifle primers, I'm sure they would have been gone by now?

• Haha
Reactions: jpm
Federal small pistol and small rifle primers available online. Retailer that sells Powder and other reloading items. Don't get stuck in this valley and miss out. 5K limit per order.
Craziness. Their website is toast. I think I was able to get in my order(s) though. Have an email into them now.

Craziness. Their website is toast. I think I was able to get in my order(s) though. Have an email into them now.
Federal small pistol and small rifle primers available online. Retailer that sells Powder and other reloading items. Don't get stuck in this valley and miss out. 5K limit per order.
Lol I'm trying...their site is strugg-a-ling though

ETA: Gone. In my cart, but says there aren't any available when I try to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom