• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

What I don't like about the primer situation is that the producers refuse to do anything about their capacity and simply expect everyone to just ride out the supply crisis. Would have been a great time to make a bold move and grab some serious market share. Instead, they almost act like a cartel (trade cartel, not drug cartel). Enough time has passed that if they were going to respond we would be seeing the results by now. Another reason I'm seriously considering archery, LOL.

They're acting just like OPEC.

They're acting just like OPEC.
I respectfully disagree..Opec slashes production to raise prices, the ammo manufacturers don’t respond to demand and the result is increased prices. One is a response to market conditions, the other is lack of response to market conditions.

I see both sides. If they spend millions upgrading machines hiring employees etc. then the demand drops like a rock in a year (hypothetically) then they’re stuck with all of this equipment/employees etc.
On the other hand the demand has never been higher and they could make even more money with a bigger supply....until the demand drops

If capacity increases, there will be downward pressure on prices post-shortage as manufacturers try to keep their equipment running.
Sure, but one could argue that despite a drop in margin % their overall revenue could be higher and margin dollars higher. Also it's been a while since the .gov started a war for whatever reason so that could keep the volume up. I agree with @jpm 's comment that they are acting like OPEC. Yes, there will be a leveling of demand if not a slump; but there will be another boom, pun not intended. I bet margins for the retail market were already stupid high and that currently the volume related positive variances for the plants have reached the absolute maximum possible. However, none of the major producers are reinvesting in their businesses and instead whine about not oversupplying the market and even poke fun at their customers because there have been a few conspiracy theories floating around. I don't think highly of businesses that don't implement a plan for growth or worse yet have growth goals with a harvest strategy. IIRC, there are only 4 producers in the US? Of course they are making record amounts- demand is crazy and there are fewer competitors.

Personally, I try to keep enough stock of reloading components and powder to stay 3 years ahead of my usual annual match shooting demand. I've done this for the last few years and up until now have always restocked before I get down to approx 2 seasons of supply. I'm good through end of 2022 for large bore and even longer for .223. However, if the situation doesn't improve and I get down to 1 season supply with only stupid pricing available for components, my joking about switching to archery will no longer be a joke. I really enjoy rifle marksmanship competition and am decent at it, but it's supposed to be fun. Stressing out about availability and pricing of supplies is a buzz kill. I'm already wasting too much time scouring the suppliers for available components. Just scored some 30 cal Nosler RDF 175's and am going to try some Barnes 6.5mm 140's since I can't find ELD's nor RDF's in that caliber.

What if it takes 12 months to bring the added capacity online and 36 months of operation to break even? Sure, everybody's pissed about waiting in line, but what are the chances that within 48 months there is no excess demand with existing capacity?

I respectfully disagree..Opec slashes production to raise prices, the ammo manufacturers don’t respond to demand and the result is increased prices. One is a response to market conditions, the other is lack of response to market conditions.
OPEC also collectively agrees to hold production level for an extended period despite increasing demand. That's what's going on with primers. Can't say the 4 primer producers are talking to each other but any public communication that they will not increase production beyond their current 'technical' capacity despite a period of high demand could construe 'signaling' which could result in getting their pee-pees slapped in court.
I see both sides. If they spend millions upgrading machines hiring employees etc. then the demand drops like a rock in a year (hypothetically) then they’re stuck with all of this equipment/employees etc.
On the other hand the demand has never been higher and they could make even more money with a bigger supply....until the demand drops
Those machines don't seem to have that big of a footprint and I doubt millions would be necessary. Even if a new cell or line did cost millions, they are rolling in cash right now.

Let's hope that supply starts catching up, the 'speculators' and price gougers lose their greed boners, and that we can all order whenever we want for reasonable prices.

OPEC also collectively agrees to hold production level for an extended period despite increasing demand. That's what's going on with primers. Can't say the 4 primer producers are talking to each other but any public communication that they will not increase production beyond their current 'technical' capacity despite a period of high demand could construe 'signaling' which could result in getting their pee-pees slapped in court.

This is exactly what I was talking about re: OPEC. They also collaborate on pricing which you can be sure is happening with the primer manufacturers, powder manufacturers, and probably ammo manufacturers too.

This is exactly what I was talking about re: OPEC. They also collaborate on pricing which you can be sure is happening with the primer manufacturers, powder manufacturers, and probably ammo manufacturers too.
There is a difference between "collaborating on pricing" and "market price signaling". As long as you don't have one or more firms trying to increase market share percentage, the reaction to any one company raising prices will be for the others to follow.

Winchester raised wholesale ammo prices 8% retroactive to the beginning of the year (wholesale orders already placed did not lock in pricing). Someone in the middle is getting the bulk of the market availability price adjustment, and it's probably not your local dealer.

There is a difference between "collaborating on pricing" and "market price signaling". As long as you don't have one or more firms trying to increase market share percentage, the reaction to any one company raising prices will be for the others to follow.

yeah they will kind of do it with a wink and a nod, its a small community so there's undoubtedly some 'insight' into what each other is doing/planning.

Holy crap. I just got an email from GlockStore, all kinds of bolding and exclamation points!!!!

They're selling ammunition and PRIMERS. Oh boy!!! With lots of verbiage about "not missing out"!!!

So I look at their site - and they want 250$ for 1,000 primers. Oh FOAD.

Plus this of course:
Please Note the following:
We DO NOT sell ammo or primers online to the following locations:

Alaska, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, APO/FPO Addresses, or USPS PO Boxes.

As my Russian friend says: "f*** you and the dog you walked in on".

I didn’t even bother. I was driving back from a match and didn’t feel like ordering while driving. Plus I’m only getting primers and powder for others at this point

I snagged 6 rounds on the ground at today’s Hopkinton USPSA match which I broke down to get the primers and brass😂
According to weston shooters club this was about $1.5 just in primers I picked off the ground. 🤣
7CC3BD01-71D7-49B8-B27B-1A5A843943DF.jpeg
One of which was a factory federal round. Holy crap did it take some effort to get that 147 gr bullet out. I must have whacked my concrete floor 10-12 times before it came out. That crimp ring/cannelure on the brass works well at holding the bullet I guess.

Back
Top Bottom