Anyone in mattapoisett/denied class A question?

hey guys, this is my first post here although iv looked around the forums for a while and i just want to say there is a ton of great information and helpful people on here. im looking for anyone in mattapoisett that has applied for a ltc class A and received it as a first time applicant. i applied for a class A as my first license, i have never had an fid, all my paper work was complete and correct, i have a clean record, i am 23 years old and work full time as a paramedic. after close to 3 months my license came in and was a "LTC class B with no restrictions" i was told i received the class b because it was my first time applying for a ltc. i have talked to many people about this, gun shop owners, long time ltc holders etc. everyone has told me being a first time applicant is not a reason to deny a class a. i have called the PD 3 times (once a week for 3 weeks) and left polite, professional voicemails for the chief and have not received a call back. what should my next step be? board of selectmen? lawyer? i was hoping to find a few poeple who have applied for class A's and were issued them the first time. any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys

i read a post that he put up and i checked out his website, does anyone have any personal experience with him or any lawyer.. i talked to my parents about this the other day i have never needed the services of a lawyer i really dont know how to go about finding the right one.. i also dont want my LTC to cost me thousands of dollars in the end.

i read a post that he put up and i checked out his website, does anyone have any personal experience with him or any lawyer.. i talked to my parents about this the other day i have never needed the services of a lawyer i really dont know how to go about finding the right one.. i also dont want my LTC to cost me thousands of dollars in the end.

If you`re not prepared for a long and costly battle there`s not much you can do. Police Chiefs have ultimate discretionary power in this state on issuing firearms permits. Welcome to the People`s Republic.

i was told that in mattapoisett if you apply for a class a with no records on your background, you get it. even the firearms officer going over my paperwork said "yup everything looks good you should have no problem getting a class A"

i was told that in mattapoisett if you apply for a class a with no records on your background, you get it. even the firearms officer going over my paperwork said "yup everything looks good you should have no problem getting a class A"

Then I would keep calling until you can contact the officer who conducted your interview and ask him WTF happened, in a polite way of course.

If you don't want to seek counsel from Jesse or any other lawyer, i think possibly your next best bet is to go into the police station and ask for the chief.

he is the only one i have been able to get in touch with. i called and he happened to be on the desk that day, he remembered me and i asked WTF happened, politely.. and he said "the chief decided to give you a class b because it was your first time applying."

Become a member of GOAL and ask them for advice. Most likely you need to hire an attorney.

Just don't give up. It's not right.

Someone may have pissed in the LEO cornflakes that morning. The LTC system in mass is fundamentally flawed. There should be specific metrics that are requirements for issuance statewide. Basically he can deny you if he just doesn't like the look of you. Conversely my LTC-A application was actually a fun experience. The LEO's in my town are gun guys and the one that actually does the LTC apps is a big hunter. I got a guided tour of the station and everything.

When I applied I told him I'd be happy with any permit A unrestricted, restricted, or B. He asked "should I be afraid of you carrying a gun?" to which i said "no". He looked at me and explained that he felt if I had intended to do anything that wasn't legal w/ a gun I wouldn't be there getting an LTC. He also said it was my right and he didn't have the authority to take it away without cause.

Lucky I live in a town like that.

I'd ask Cohen if you can do anything about it. You may just have to suck it up for the next few years and retain council before you apply.

While the practice of even having a licensing system to begin with is deplorable ... especially when it's "may issue", I could never understand the logic behind the LTC structuring system.

What's the reasoning for having two different licenses; with one good for purchase and possession of all long arms (including "assault rifles), and handguns, with the only difference between the two is that the other one allows
purchase and possession of "large capacity" handguns? (disregard for the sake of argument that a Class A license is the only one required for CCW).

Seeing that EBR's are the most demonized category of firearms, I'm actually surprised the legislature didn't require a Class A LTC for purchase and posession of them.

I realize it's MA we're talking about here, so logic and reason are nonexistent, but it's just one of many examples of what's wrong with this state.

OP: Sorry to hear about your experience, that really sucks.

Let this be a lesson to you: you're 23, leave Mass for a free state before it's too late...You're young [smile]

3 options.

1. Get an attorney

2. Build your resume for renewal / upgrade (if possible)

3. Move to a new town

Even moving to a new town is not a guarantee. Too many of them make you wait until the 6 years is up. If you didn't buy anything and are willing to wait with an FID, go down to the PD and ask them to cancel the LTC and give you an FID. Then when you move apply for the LTC there. But call FRSB and make sure it was canceled.

3 options.

1. Get an attorney

2. Build your resume for renewal / upgrade (if possible)

3. Move to a new town

Someone on NES just tried moving to a new town just a short time ago. The new CLEO was more than happy to issue an unrestricted LTC A, but needed the old one invalidated first. The original CLEO refused to do so. However, the moment you move out of state, your license is null and void. So you could then apply if you moved to a green town. Now this is just through experience, it may be a good idea to check with Jesse Cohen or Scrivener first.

Chief Lyons is NOT someone you want to PISS OFF. She is also the HEAD of the Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association, a rather large governing body that works closely with the AG and Governors office on things just like this. She knows the law better than almost any other Police Chief in this area. If your a medic around here you must know of her. I would highly suggest that you quietly build your new resume after say 6 months of using the class B and present it. Well armed with an attourneys advice, not telling them that you have retained it. You will get more with honey than you will with vinegar for sure.

Chief Lyons is NOT someone you want to PISS OFF. She is also the HEAD of the Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association, a rather large governing body that works closely with the AG and Governors office on things just like this. She knows the law better than almost any other Police Chief in this area. If your a medic around here you must know of her. I would highly suggest that you quietly build your new resume after say 6 months of using the class B and present it. Well armed with an attourneys advice, not telling them that you have retained it. You will get more with honey than you will with vinegar for sure.

Well that explains A LOT! If this moonbat pulls this kind of crap with LTCs and she is the head of the Police Chiefs Association, we shouldn't be surprised at the towns that follow suit.

hey guys, this is my first post here although iv looked around the forums for a while and i just want to say there is a ton of great information and helpful people on here. im looking for anyone in mattapoisett that has applied for a ltc class A and received it as a first time applicant. i applied for a class A as my first license, i have never had an fid, all my paper work was complete and correct, i have a clean record, i am 23 years old and work full time as a paramedic. after close to 3 months my license came in and was a "LTC class B with no restrictions" i was told i received the class b because it was my first time applying for a ltc. i have talked to many people about this, gun shop owners, long time ltc holders etc. everyone has told me being a first time applicant is not a reason to deny a class a. i have called the PD 3 times (once a week for 3 weeks) and left polite, professional voicemails for the chief and have not received a call back. what should my next step be? board of selectmen? lawyer? i was hoping to find a few poeple who have applied for class A's and were issued them the first time. any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys
Now you know why GOAL is hoping lots of people attend the hearing next Wednesday 1/27 on H2259 to reform our gun laws.

I've been through Mattapoisett. Not much of a place. Chief Lyons is a municipal employee. She made a bad decision concerning the rights of someone who helps pay her salary and serves as a voter in the community she answers to. Chief Lyons should pay attention to crime fighting and managing her department. She shouldn't be riding herd on the residents of her community, especially with such a heavy hand.

I think the thing that bothers me most is that the applicant made three calls to the chief and they have not been answered. That says a lot about the way she feels about her employers.

I'd lawyer up.

Last edited:
I would also argue that it would be no skin off her nose to issue a Class A with a T&H restriction instead of a class B. After all the class B allows large-cap long arms. So you are getting your aggies busted over large-cap handguns. Whatever. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Revolvers are awesome - buy a nice one and have fun.

If the chief doesn't answer her phone or return calls, a certified letter will do the trick. In the absence of a response, I would address the selectmen and ask what type of town they are running when you can't get an answer from a department head. Just remember to be civil.

i thought the class b restricted all large-cap.. would i still be able to buy an AR15 with a class b? i know im not the first one to say this but the laws are so unclear and there are so many gray areas i cant stand it. a guy at a local gun shop wasnt even sure what he could sell me or not sell me with a class b..

i thought the class b restricted all large-cap.. would i still be able to buy an AR15 with a class b?
Short form:

FID - Low capacity rifles/shotguns only
LTC-B - Low capacity handguns, low or high capacity rifles or shotguns
LTC-A - Low or high capacity rifles, handguns and shotguns

(all of the above include ammo and defensive sprays)

If I understand the OP correctly, he got a Class B, ALP. So....he can carry anytime, but it has to be a "low capacity" gun. I've never heard of this before. It makes absolutely no sense. The chief believes he's "suitable" to carry 24/7, but he's not suitable to carry a gun that holds 10+ rounds?

This makes absolutely no freakin' sense. But it is Massachusetts, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom