Anyone here going to Camp Perry and the CMP "Games" this years?

I'm being sorely tempted. I've shot there three times over the past 6 years and my buddy in PA (my shooting buddy and spotter) is begging me to go down with him this year.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy shooting there but the dynamics of leaving CT and traveling to Pittsburgh via air with my rifles, then driving from there to Camp Perry to shoot for about an hour total over four days and then come home always seems just so tedious. I really wish there was a better way for me to get there but there isn't or doesn't seem to be.

Anyway, I would be shooting in the Garand Match as well as the Service Rifle Match with my 03A3. It's a real beauty and shoots much better than I can shoot it.

Just curious if any of you all go and what you shoot. Also, how do you travel?

Rome

I have not made it yet - I would love to at some point.
I have plans for the majority of this summer with home projects but eventually I will make it.

It isn't in my budget this year :(....unless someone wants to sponsor me lol...that'd be cool. I'd likely just go out for CMP week...as I'm primarily a service rifle shooter.....although I'd REALLY like to try my luck with my ar15 at 1000yds. Who knows. If I can find someone to hitch a ride with out there...and/or cheap lodging... I'd break my back to scrape up enough cash for entry fees and food. The gears all ready to go...just need the excuse lol.

Anyway, I would be shooting in the Garand Match as well as the Service Rifle Match with my 03A3. It's a real beauty and shoots much better than I can shoot it.

If by "service rifle match" you mean the President's Rifle Match and the National Individual Trophy Rifle Match (aka the big leg match), your 1903 does not qualify as a Service Rifle according to CMP rules.

The only legal Service Rifles, according to the CMP competition rules are the US Rifle, Caliber 30, M1; US Rifle, Caliber 7.62, M14; US Rifle, Caliber 5.56, M16A2 or M16A4, or their civilian commercial equivalents. And those four Service Rifles are the only acceptable firearms for Excellence In Competition CMP matches.

US bolt action military rifles and foreign semi auto and bolt action rifles fall under other classifications and are thus not legal to use in CMP Excellence In Competition matches such as the President's, NTI, NTT, and NTIT matches. They are usable only in CMP Games events.

I will be leaving on the 29th of July with a couple of juniors. Have been going each year sinch 05 and wouldn't niss it. The juniors will have 3 days of school before they start shooting the Presidents on Monday the 2nd, a lot of good information to be had from the SAFS classes. We will all be shooting AR-15's and shooting for 3 days during the week. Jeff, if you are serious about going see me this weekend.

As a father to one of those juniors Duane mentioned, I'll also be going out. Although I've only been shooting for a few months and likely won't fair well in the matches themselves, I think I'll learn a whole bunch of great stuff, both from the SAFS and the competition in general (and hopefully I'll have some money to spend on commercial row!) I am really looking forward to that week! I'll also be shooting AR-15 in the service rifle matches.

As of right now, I plan on being there for the President's, NTI, and the Hearst doubles.

I will be leaving on the 29th of July with a couple of juniors. Have been going each year sinch 05 and wouldn't niss it. The juniors will have 3 days of school before they start shooting the Presidents on Monday the 2nd, a lot of good information to be had from the SAFS classes. We will all be shooting AR-15's and shooting for 3 days during the week. Jeff, if you are serious about going see me this weekend.

will do duane. ill be there thursday for the 100yd smallbore prone match anyways...and likely friday for a bit of sitting rapids practice (tightening up the sling 3 notches and getting lower SEEMS to help the massive pulse-bobble i'm seeing, even dryfiring down the hall....wont know until i try though. (almost short-stocking the rifle, but leaned WAY further over. much, much lower).

I'll be going for the Week of Pistol from Small Arms Firing School with the 9mm pistol to revolver matches, then the NRA pistol matches on WED, Thurs, Fri & Sat. and then the 45 cal service pistol matches on Sunday. Then the 12 hour ride home.
This will be my 5 th year. Get a bunch of guys and just go. You'll have the greatest time of your life.

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Everyone should go at least once, you can feel the history. On my first day for highpower, I started in the pits and the National Anthem came on. You couldn't see the flag but everyone knew where it was even though we had to look at a concrete wall. Awsome.... One year I was shooting Long Range and heard the AMU guys talking about the wind and that it was 15 or 16 minutes! I figured that it had to be better than my guess of 10 minutes they were right. Barely missed the ten ring at 9 o'clock.

Everyone should go at least once, you can feel the history. On my first day for highpower, I started in the pits and the National Anthem came on. You couldn't see the flag but everyone knew where it was even though we had to look at a concrete wall. Awsome.... One year I was shooting Long Range and heard the AMU guys talking about the wind and that it was 15 or 16 minutes! I figured that it had to be better than my guess of 10 minutes they were right. Barely missed the ten ring at 9 o'clock.

heh, my goal, if i manage to make it out there, is to get myself on the line next to someone (like the AMU) who knows how to deal with that kind of wind. we're a bit sheltered here...i think i've had ~ 2.5minutes of wind on my rifle...and that was BLOWIN for up here.

the only saving grace is that everyone says the wind charts in the data books actually WORK out there. i cant even use the wind flags at reading (there have been days where i've seen both flags @ 300yd's pointed at eachother....i put on my no-wind zero and hoped for the best lol).

Last edited:
Well, I found out I have a ride and a place to stay. Just got done registering online, so I'm beginning to get a little excited now.

I'm all signed up. Did it tonight online. Also found a cheap flight home from Pittsburg via Jet Blue.
Now, I gotta get all my sh*t in one sock and get my gear squared away.

i havent registered yet. everyone i know that goes said there was no point, as its just as easy to register when you get out there. im starting to get excited though. maine state championships this weekend, New England regionals next week + my 2nd LEG match, mass state championships + my 3rd LEG the week after, then Perry!

It is much easier to register online and just pick up your packet once you get out there. The registration lines are usually very long, unless you are up very early and head over to the CMP.

Back
Top Bottom