• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have experience with Florida?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about florida regarding gun issues, or being a resident overall. I am considering moving within the next year. Are there any guns, besides full auto im guessing, that are not allowed? anything like the MA "list" on handguns?

I lived there for several years. It's an amazing state to live in. If you're used to New England weather, if you move, it will feel like a vacation all year round! Golf in the middle of January with a cigar in mouth, oh yeah that's what I'm talking about!
The gun laws are pretty amazing too.

I lived there for several years. It's an amazing state to live in. If you're used to New England weather, if you move, it will feel like a vacation all year round! Golf in the middle of January with a cigar in mouth, oh yeah that's what I'm talking about!
The gun laws are pretty amazing too.

Nice, reminds me of when I lived in Hawaii. I was swimming in the Pacific on New Years Day in 2005.

Nice, reminds me of when I lived in Hawaii. I was swimming in the Pacific on New Years Day in 2005.

I remember calling my bro up in Sharon Mass. He asked me what I was doing and I said, "Playing golf". I asked him what he was doing he said, "plowing"! Love it!

Hawaii must have been amazing.
Never been but I heard it was expensive to live. A friend of mine was stationed there and he said he was the minority, he's caucasian! His kids got made fun of in school because they were white.

My sister lives there. Some of the best gun laws in the country. Hands down best self/property defense and castle laws in the country.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about florida regarding gun issues, or being a resident overall. I am considering moving within the next year. Are there any guns, besides full auto im guessing, that are not allowed? anything like the MA "list" on handguns?

I posted a bunch of info in the two threads I'm linking to below.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-on-the-12th-of-October?p=1599391#post1599391

Apply for your CWFL right now, the below link has some info.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

Florida doesn't differentiate between resident and non-residents licenses, so if you have it you can carry from day one, no delay. It'll also get you out of any waiting periods to buy guns (they vary by county), and will ease the minds of sellers in private sales. Florida is very liberal as far as what they'll accept for the training requirement too.

Keep in mind, it's a felony to possess certain exotic ammo in Florida.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC31.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0790->Section%2031#0790.31

It's also a felony to maintain a firearms registry, which includes bills of sale, so don't bring those if you have them, personal records only are allowed.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC335.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0790->Section%20335#0790.335

Buy John Gutmacher's book. It's the go-to book for cops, FFL's and the state Supreme Court, and covers every aspect of firearms ownership in Florida.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/p/Florida-Firearms-Law-Use-Ownership-Book.html

The skinny on the FL gun laws is you have a ton of protections regarding firearms ownership and self defense. The 790 statutes cover most of the gun laws, the 776 statutes cover use of force.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2009&Title=->2009->Chapter 790

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2009&Title=->2009->Chapter 776

Ask away if you have questions

and

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...treat-armed-citizens-written-by-a-Cop./page14

in my county in Florida. Some recent notable shootings:

-Drug dealer killed two "home invaders" in his crackhouse, wasn't arrested or charged until the end of the months long investigation concluded that he was criminally wrong.

-Several carjacking self defense shootings by average citizens who weren't detained longer than it took to get statements, then handguns were returned and they were sent on their way.

-Multiple cases where attackers were shot through windows or doors of homes (state law allows this if they're trying to forcibly enter, but these people got the benefit of the doubt in some questionable cases), also countless cases of intruders shot in the home, no drama for the good guys.

-CWP holder carrying illegally at a school was involved in a 100% justified self defense shooting, no arrest, no loss of carry license, no charges filed, not even for carrying in a no-no zone. Similar turnouts for other carrying in off limits places when LE found out because of self defense.

Here’s another example involving a CWP holder, although not in my county. In the Norman Borden case I posted earlier in this thread, he was walking his dogs when three gang members harassed him, then tried to run him over with their vehicle. He shot five rounds into the vehicle as it came towards him, and when they crashed he walked up to the wreck and fired nine more rounds, including some contact shots. This was before “stand your ground” passed, he was arrested, charged and locked up until trial, but in the end he was acquitted.

In straightforward homicides and such it goes differently, but if there’s any doubt, you’ll get the benefit of it here.

In short, Florida has fantastic gun laws. Guns can be bought and sold without any state license, and carried loaded in the vehicle without a permit from age 18 and up (vehicle carry is somewhat complicated without a permit though). CWP's are shall issue, and God help the poor fool who tries to get in the way of your access to the permit. If cleared in a shooting criminally you're immune from civil liability, and if you do have to defend yourself with any force the cops need a lot of evidence to even put you into investigative detention. Unlawful intruders into the home or a vehicle you're in can be shot, we have a "stand your ground" law so you have no duty to retreat in public, and a Florida carry permit is valid in 34 states in the US. The Serbu super shortie shotgun is sold in FFL's down here with a pancake holster to conceal it with. [smile]

Downsides to gun laws in Florida...there's more places off limits to carry a gun in FL than there are in MA. Open carry isn't generally legal (it is in some circumstances, but it's not like NH where you can just running to the grocery store; for the most part you have a duty to keep it concealed. There are waiting periods for buying from an FFL that vary by county in Florida, but people with carry permits are exempt from all of them. Some counties have ordinances that prohibit selling a gun in a public place, so FTF sales must be done at a gun range, FFL, buyer/seller's home, etc. You'd win if they took you to court on it because of the preemption law, but you could still get hassled.

A big problem IMO that's often overlooked is the feds. There are very tight restrictions on what Florida state LE are allowed to do in order to protect gun owners from the horror stories we hear in Mass. because of this ATF is very, very active, and they don't discriminate. Cops, soldiers and family men still have to deal with them. Expect a phone call or home visit if an FFL files a multiple sales form, with a not so friendly chat. For the most part this is to deal with "unlicensed dealers," but lies and bullying from them aren't uncommon to scare folks. The good news is unless you're a federally prohibited person, for the most part you only have to be worried about ATF when buying and selling.

In general...sales tax varies by county, but you can claim all of it at the end of the year on your taxes. There's no state income tax either. It's swampy in many areas, so you have gators, wild hogs, panthers and other exotic animals traipsing around your property or the side of the road in some areas. The heat and humidity are marvellous if that's your thing; in the summer in my area it's 90-100 in the daytime and in the 80's at night. I was wearing shorts and a T shirt up until 3 weeks ago, it's quite tropical. Snow is unheard of, since I moved down here in July of 2009 I've seen frost on my car exactly once, and that was in the very early morning. It's a more populous state, so in many areas it's more crowded, all though there's rural farm country all over the place. There's generally a lower cost of living outside of South Florida. There's seven country music stations in my area, and none as far as I could tell in Miami. [frown]

I love living here and don't regret moving from Mass. at all, if you like the heat and guns, it's home.

GSG lives in Florida, I believe.

10-4.

Summer in FL has to be experienced to understand. But you can deal with it.

I agree with that. I love the heat, but until you adapt, going for a run at noontime is quite interesting. Obviously things are relative though, Tallahassee and the Florida Keys are about 600 miles apart, so there's some variety in there.

Nope. That would be Texas.

Texas allows blanket use of force in circumstances that FL doesn't, but Florida's laws are more friendly to the gun owner than TX's in some circumstances as well.

haha beer is also a concern, hows the beer in florida?

I have no idea. The drive through liquor stores seem popular though.

Last edited:
A few more things...many smaller communities use the county sheriff as LE, so in those places the sheriff has to sign off on Class 3. Some sheriff's won't, so you have to go the trust route.

Florida has a "take your gun to work law," which allows most employees to keep a gun in the car even if company policy says no. The confusion of the courts is evident in the limited caselaw on this, but follow the letter of the law and you'll be golden.

There is a "safe storage" law, but it's nothing like Mass. Basically it applies after the fact if a child gets ahold of a gun and commits certain crimes with it. Your spouse won't get in trouble for defending themselves with your gun though, no license is required to possess guns, and home defense is very commonly accepted.

For the most part the laws are easy to understand. There are some bizarre or confusing areas though, like how it's legal to carry drunk, but you can't carry into a bar, even when sober, or the legality of a CWP holder keeping a gun in the car on school grounds (it's legal IMO). The good news is legislative intent is written directly into many of the laws, and it favors the good guy citizen. All the horror stories I've heard involve people whose actions fell into a gray area of law that would've been crystal clear if they had a carry permit.

With a CWP you can carry a handgun or other weapon, such as brass knuckles, a switchblade, an axe or a prison shiv. [laugh] Small amounts of pepper spray and stun guns don't require a permit, and can also be carried by many people on school grounds. Tasers require a CWP to carry outside the home or business, similar to a handgun.

Guns can be carried without a permit, openly or concealed, in some cicrumstances. Not something I'd recommend, but a viable option for many people.

The safety course requirement for a CWP is a broad one, unlike Mass.

There's more, but that covers things in general.

Last edited:
all i have to say about Florida is CASTLE LAW (angelic voice in the background)...and really nice roads that always go straight.

get the hell out of here and move over there. My bro lives there, and i want to move. And if you have a white collar job and make good money, for $200,000 you get a house that costs $700,000 here.

haha beer is also a concern, hows the beer in florida?
same as here

theres a lot of Mass people there, so theres a lot of stuff you can find here and in Florida. I think my dad got a Sam Adams at a bar when we were there.

Last edited:
theres a lot of Mass people there, so theres a lot of stuff you can find here and in Florida. I think my dad got a Sam Adams at a bar when we were there.

Two things you can't get, memorable Chinese food or a decent cannoli. Although I'm open to suggestions if anyone can prove me wrong on those two.

And I just remembered while driving, we have no vehicle inspections and free market auto insurance.

And I just remembered while driving, we have no vehicle inspections and free market auto insurance.

oh yeah, car insurance in Florida is more expensive. Because they dont require you to have it. So if you want car insurance you have to pay more than here, in case you get hit by someone that doesnt have insurance.

oh yeah, car insurance in Florida is more expensive. Because they dont require you to have it.
Say what?

Dude, at least do some quick fact checking before you say something totally dumb. It took me less than 10 seconds to find this:

Out of State Vehicle Registration
If you are moving to Florida, the state's law requires that you register a vehicle within 10 days after engaging in an occupation in Florida or enter a child in a Florida school. You need to first obtain a Florida drivers license. Next you need to obtain auto insurance from a company licensed in Florida. Many auto insurance companies licensed in Florida provide online services. At the DMV you'll also need your original out-of-state title and VIN verification.

And this
New or Used Cars
Shortcuts: New Car Dealers in Florida Used Cars in Florida
Purchasing a new vehicle in Florida? To register your newly purchased vehicle, you must supply the manufacturer's Florida Certificate of Title with your name on it or an application for a Certificate of Title along with proof of ownership. You must also obtain the required Florida auto insurance policies. Many auto insurance companies licensed in Florida provide online services.

The Florida DMV auto insurance coverage requirements:
$10,000 minimum Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
$10,000 minimum Property Damage Liability (PDL)
If you have been involved in a crash or been convicted of certain offenses, the DMV may require you to purchase Bodily Injury Liability coverage (BIL).

http://www.dmvflorida.org/car-registration.shtml

I would like to live there because of the gun laws.

I have only been there in the winter but I bet the summers must be brutally hot and humid. I wonder if the summer insect population is also a problem.

I would not scrimp on getting a hurricane proof house with a higher elevation. I wonder if you can get an all cement house with a safe room, also.

The moon bat population is much lower than in Massachusetts.

The only hurricane proof house is built out of reinforced concrete/rebar/cinder block construction with a poured concrete cement and built in a place that does not flood.

That's how I managed to not lose my house through several major hurricanes in PR.

Back
Top Bottom