• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec SU16 (.223/5.56)

How are they to handle .556, my buddy has a 10 plus year old one and he said his only likes .223 and not steel , just brass?

I was interested in an SU-16 at one time (post Maura's decree), but my dealer talked me out of it. In fact, he had ordered in half a dozen of them and was sending them all back. Suffice to say, he was not impressed with the flimsiness and build quality and had decided not to carry the product for fear they would be nothing but trouble for him and his customers.

That said, I think the reviews here are fair. It is not an AR-15 clone. It's made of plastic, not metal. If you are expecting it to be an AR-15, you may end up disappointed. If you accept it as a lightweight foldable plastic substitute for an AR-15, it could work for you.

How are they to handle .556, my buddy has a 10 plus year old one and he said his only likes .223 and not steel , just brass?

Both of mine eat anything, even cheap crap. Plenty accurate, I keep mine without any add on accessories because loading them up defeats the purpose. As backpack or even bug out rifles, I have no problem trusting mine. I think most of the people that say bad things about them haven't really had a chance to use them. Until I live somewhere that I can have new, reliable standard capacity mags for our Mini-14s, at least one SU 16 is in my bug-out plan.

Back
Top Bottom