Anyone ever have a .22 blow up

Mine was a savage 300. Old ammo. Very old for rimfire. Probably 40 y plus.

Was spicy but on target. Then one exploded and burnt the crap out I'd my hand through the gaps in the box mag.

Sent a few more down and then had a second blow out.

Only odd part was, both blow outs of case were behind dead bullseye's at 100 yards. I guessed factory double loads from the 70's or 80's at the time.

Other than som hand sting, I was fine and the rifle still thinks it's a precision rifle and hits steel at 200 yards all day with no wind and good ammo.

Just happened on my 10/22 a couple weeks ago, with cheap aguila ammo. Checked for obstructions, loaded a new mag and kept shooting...

OOB and Case Rim Failure are not “rare” with 22lr
They go un told off because more often than not they dont hurt much of anything.

def OOB. gotta clean your chamber more often. if it gets bad enough to OOB fire then you probably need to detail strip and sonic clean. you probably also got schmoo in the firing pin channel, on the extractor, and in the sear/hammer assy.
Not in this case my friend. Ive only had 300 rounds through since i last cleaned it. Anyone who knows me knows that when i clean my stuff... its clean. Takes a normal person 25 mins to clean their rifle. I do it in 2 hours.

Yes, once. Shooting a marlin model 60. Cleared and checked it. Kept shooting.
No burst cases, but I saw a CCI .22 "Stinger" case bulge greatly near its base after it was fired in an ancient single-shot rifle that was purchased at a garage sale.

This thread has legs. It's also a good case study of why I'd never want to defensively deploy .22LR.
Well, I would not go to that extreme either. Israel's Mossad agents used Beretta 70 .22 pistols quite successfully, OSS used suppressed. 22 pistols during
WW2 successfully and many unfortunate folks who crossed the Mafia received .22 rounds in the head from suppressed Ruger and Colt Woodsman .22 pistols. Small? Yeah! Deadly? Without doubt!

Is there not a firing pin block on the 10-22 ?
Yes, there is. It's the roll pin that runs across the bolt. There is also a firing pin return spring under the pin in the channel. The firing pin block prevents the FP tip from protruding past the bolt face so that it can't damage the barrel. But that has nothing to do with an incomplete chambering of the round.

Well, I would not go to that extreme either. Israel's Mossad agents used Beretta 70 .22 pistols quite successfully, OSS used suppressed. 22 pistols during
WW2 successfully and many unfortunate folks who crossed the Mafia received .22 rounds in the head from suppressed Ruger and Colt Woodsman .22 pistols. Small? Yeah! Deadly? Without doubt!
Then quiet was king, no?
How many of those people were actively trained in killing with a second or third method if the first failed? While I love . 22LR and consider it a leathal calibre in the right hands. The "right hands" includes "right arms".

I just will never carry it for defense because I've had 20x as many rimfire not fire or generate a proper target signature in my experience vs any centerfire ammo I have also attempted to send at a target . That data point is wave-of-hand tier. And significantly biased by several different platforms in the .22LR cal. It could be 10x, or could be 50x, but it feels like around 20x.

I'm probably not alone here in being able to claim sending a few hundred thousand rounds of 22 down range in my lifetime.

I
Then quiet was king, no?
How many of those people were actively trained in killing with a second or third method if the first failed? While I love . 22LR and consider it a leathal calibre in the right hands. The "right hands" includes "right arms".

I just will never carry it for defense because I've had 20x as many rimfire not fire or generate a proper target signature in my experience vs any centerfire ammo I have also attempted to send at a target . That data point is wave-of-hand tier. And significantly biased by several different platforms in the .22LR cal. It could be 10x, or could be 50x, but it feels like around 20x.

I'm probably not alone here in being able to claim sending a few hundred thousand rounds of

Lake Meade is drying up on a large scale. A couple of months ago, a skeleton of a man, who, by his clothing, was shot dead and dumped in a barrel to the bottom of 100 foot depths in Lake Mead back in the mid 1970s. Las Vegas Metro Police determined it was a .22 bullet in the back of the head, probably from a silenced pistol. Standard operating procedure for the Las Vegas Mob back in those days. I own a 10/22. It will do plenty of damage. More so than a pistol due to its higher velocity.

22 down range in my lifetime.

That's crazy. Proves my point that 22 is great plinking and practice not real world reliable
The poor bastard that was found in the barrel in Lake Mead with a .22 round in the noggin, along with the many Arab terrorists who received their ticket punch from Israel Mossad .22s would most likely disagree with you. Or, at least, their survivors will!

A couple of months ago, a skeleton of a man, who, by his clothing, was shot dead and dumped in a barrel to the bottom of 100 foot depths in Lake Mead back in the mid 1970s. Las Vegas Metro Police determined it was a .22 bullet in the back of the head, probably from a silenced pistol. Standard operating procedure for the Las Vegas Mob back in those days.
But if the guy was tied up and gagged, it doesn't matter if you have to rack the pistol three times before you get a round to fire.
I forget which hit man said when interviewed, that they liked 22 to the back of the head because it generally made less of a mess than centerfire, as the round would typically not create an exit wound. It would just rattle around inside the skull.
Every shooter knows that even match grade 22 is unreliable, and the cheap stuff is laughably unreliable. To carry it as a defensive round in a handgun is risky at best.

I do agree with you that a 22 rifle is deadly. Especially on a Monday... before school.

But if the guy was tied up and gagged, it doesn't matter if you have to rack the pistol three times before you get a round to fire.
I forget which hit man said when interviewed, that they liked 22 to the back of the head because it generally made less of a mess than centerfire, as the round would typically not create an exit wound. It would just rattle around inside the skull.
Every shooter knows that even match grade 22 is unreliable, and the cheap stuff is laughably unreliable. To carry it as a defensive round in a handgun is risky at best.

I do agree with you that a 22 rifle is deadly. Especially on a Monday... before school.

Hell any premium 22lr is very reliable. For example i’ve probably fired thousands of mini mags, CCI SV etc and never had one fail to go off.

The only 22LR I’ve ever had problems with is bulk pack stuff but that’s a whole different ballgame. this whole thing about rimfire being unreliable is kind of BS. Another example I owned a 17 HMR rifle for a while probably put like 600 rounds through it mostly CCI and Hornady. I had one Hornady round that actually did fail to fire but there’s a good catch involved in it….. that round was in my pocket and it had went through a washing machine cycle. 🤣. Other than that, the gun never failed to fire.

Hell any premium 22lr is very reliable. For example i’ve probably fired thousands of mini mags, CCI SV etc and never had one fail to go off.
Right? I was going to say, maybe adding a reliability factor would be a whole new premium line in itself, but now that you mention it, I think you are right.

The only 22LR I’ve ever had problems with is bulk pack stuff but that’s a whole different ballgame.
Yup.

Does anybody know if they make the "better stuff" (Velocitor, Stinger, Yellow Jacket, Interceptor, ...) in bulk packs? Would be nice to be able to buy 1,000 at a time of those at the same quality as when you buy them 50 at a time.

this whole thing about rimfire being unreliable is kind of BS.
Yup again.

Another example I owned a 17 HMR rifle for a while probably put like 600 rounds through it mostly CCI and Hornady. I had one Hornady round that actually did fail to fire but there’s a good catch involved in it….. that round was in my pocket and it had went through a washing machine cycle. 🤣. Other than that, the gun never failed to fire.
Ha ha.

Does anybody know if they make the "better stuff" (Velocitor, Stinger, Yellow Jacket, Interceptor, ...) in bulk packs? Would be nice to be able to buy 1,000 at a time of those at the same quality as when you buy them 50 at a time.
It's called "buying a case of 5000 rounds when the price is low" but they aint ever going to bulk that, it defeats the whole purpose.

I dont think we'll ever see $7-8/100 CCI minimags ever again though. [sad]

It's called "buying a case of 5000 rounds when the price is low" but they aint ever going to bulk that, it defeats the whole purpose.

I dont think we'll ever see $7-8/100 CCI minimags ever again though. [sad]
What purpose? To get good ammo at reasonable prices? Obviously, for the seller, it is to maximize profit.
Just need one to do this, and I bet all would follow. Once everybody is shooting your brand by the boatload, it puts the pressure on. Free market capitalism and all that at work.

What purpose? To get good ammo at reasonable prices? Obviously, for the seller, it is to maximize profit.
Just need one to do this, and I bet all would follow. Once everybody is shooting your brand by the boatload, it puts the pressure on. Free market capitalism and all that at work.
Packaging premium ammo like cheap garbage doesn't work well for marketing..... in business it's called "cutting your own dick off". If CCI routinely sold that stuff in milk cartons they wouldn't do themselves any favors I'll just put it that way. Actually they do have some other decent ammo that's distributed in weird ways (like the CHOOT EM! Redneck guy thing) but there's no way they're going to, on a regular basis, take a product like Mini Mags and put it in a bulk milk carton screwing themselves and dealers out of profit.

I was hoping more for a gallon jug or a "5 gallon bucket" of Velocitors! [laugh]

Just reach in for a handful. Or have a little garden trowel and a paper bag, like they used to do with nails at Spag's.

If you want, for the right price. I’ll buy a bunch of Velocitor and dump them into a 5 Gallon bucket for you. Even print a label that says Premium Bulk Pack for the side of it.

That's crazy. Proves my point that 22 is great plinking and practice not real world reliable
Meh ... practice needs to be done with several guns.

I have given my USPSA revolver to several MASTERS that shoot .22 and they couldn't get times good enough to classify above a "D".

They were great shots ... with a .22.

The most reliable .22LR that I ever fired, and the most accurate, was Eley. Unfortunately, it was also the most expensive. Never had any type of malfunction.

The only 22LR I’ve ever had problems with is bulk pack stuff but that’s a whole different ballgame. this whole thing about rimfire being unreliable is kind of BS. Another example I owned a 17 HMR rifle for a while probably put like 600 rounds through it mostly CCI and Hornady. I had one Hornady round that actually did fail to fire but there’s a good catch involved in it….. that round was in my pocket and it had went through a washing machine cycle. 🤣. Other than that, the gun never failed to fire.

I shoot quite a bit of .22 lr, and I have seen .22 cases that looked similar to the OP's 3 times. Two of those times were in semi-autos, but one of them was in a bolt action rifle.

The bolt action rifle belonged to a friend of mine who was shooting right next to me. It was a decent quality modern rifle with decent ammo, though I don't remember the make of the rifle or the ammo. The round was unexpectedly loud, and it blew smoke out the ejection port and out the back of the action into the shooter's face. The magazine blew out of the action and landed on the ground in pieces.

The bolt was very stiff to open afterwards, and the extractor had been blown out of the bolt and was never found.

There is no doubt in my mind that the round was overcharged. And I realized afterwards that in a semi-auto, the results from an overcharged round would look very similar to an out of battery discharge. And since the great majority of .22 rounds are fired in semi-autos, I do wonder if factory overcharged rounds may be more common than we realize, and sometimes get misdiagnosed as out of battery discharges.

I also learned two other important lessons from this occurrence. One is that a failure of this type is surprisingly powerful, even from a tiny little .22 round. And that centerfire rounds with 10 or 20 times the case capacity deserve real respect.

And the second lesson is never to be near any firearm without eye protection. The amount of smoke that came out the back of the action in the shooter's face was surprising. And we don't know how much force was behind the extractor when it was ripped out of the bolt and flew out the ejection port, but it went far enough that we couldn't find it.

I shoot a lot of the Federal Auto Match, and it's pretty reliable. But not as reliable as you have described. I will have to try some more CCI and Hornady

Back
Top Bottom