Anyone ever buy from Tackle Unlimited in Stoughton?

Well I got a hold of the gentleman who runs the show. Seems he is only into online sales and does not have a store front. He was very nice over the phone and had no problem chit chattin for a bit. If anyone does buisness with him on gunbroker he seems like a real stand up guy.

I seen he had LCPs on hand and I was wondering if they were registered in Ma making them Ma okay on the secondary market. Turns out they were brand new so no good to me. He wants way to much for em though. They were priced alright for an LCP on the secondary market but way to much to a person who can go out and buy one In a free state. Oh well.

allot of his listings will say if mass compliant in the title.but if the price is very high who does he think is gonna buy it?you should email him and ask if it is for sale in mass.

I've seen his auctions a lot on gunbroker. Right now he has 398 items for sale on there. And only one of those 398 has a bid...

Just curious... does it cost to post items on gunbroker, or do you pay only if it sells?

allot of his listings will say if mass compliant in the title.but if the price is very high who does he think is gonna buy it?you should email him and ask if it is for sale in mass.

I actually searched just for LCP's so I never seen any of his other listings but when I talked to him on the phone he asked if it the auction said mass okay, which it didn't. He explained that if it were he would have written ma okay in the title. He wants almost 400 bucks for an LCP and they aren't for sale in MA so........................ why would someone in a free state who could go down to the local gun shop and buy an LCP wanna buy one off gunbroker for 400 bucks[thinking]

I'll say it again though, the gentleman I spoke to which I believe is the owner was a real nice guy over the phone and if he had something I wanted I probably wouldn't hesitate to do business with him. Assuming the item wasn't marked up 100 bucks or so haha.

I've seen his auctions a lot on gunbroker. Right now he has 398 items for sale on there. And only one of those 398 has a bid...

Just curious... does it cost to post items on gunbroker, or do you pay only if it sells?

You only pay if it sells. They have a basic auction set-up but they will charge a small fee for add-ons, like: Showcase Listings, Featured Listings, Highlight, Boldface Title, Thumbnail Image, etc.. Registration is free as is the ad insertion.

Very pleasant and polite gentleman. Prices are a little high but don't be afraid to negotiate via e-mail. He can sell FTF , not necessarily through GunBroker. Don't hesitate to e-mail him with your offer when the listing is about to expire with no bids

I had been looking a long time for a Colt 1911. He had several so I made the trip down to his office and the deal was done.

Good guy and a smooth transaction. We had an interesting talk about the gun market and all the high end shotguns he has in his inventory.

I would not hesitate to do business with him again.

Al's a real good guy and very knowledgable and it seems like he's willing to negotiate prices. He does do FTF transactions by appointment.

I just purchased a Desert Eagle from Al Porges at Tackle Unlimited. It was the Tiger Stripe in 50 AE. I paid too much, but the ad stated it was a new firearm. After I paid full price (and maybe more) + shipping, my FFL and state tax I picked it up from my FFL. I noticed a spot on the barrel, but since my FFL did not have any information on the gun I took it home. Once home, I noticed the box had hand writing under the serial number that stated; "Blem." I contacted Magnum Research with my serial number and they confirmed it was sold as a "factory second blemished item" that was discounted.

I contacted Al and he said send it back. When I asked about the $200 state sales tax, shipping and FFL fee he responded with; "YOU HAD 3 DAY NON FIRING INSPECTION AT THE DEALERS.. THAT IS WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED ME AND SENT IT BACK. SEE MY FEEDBACK. I TRY TO BE FAIR WITH ALL SALES. YOU WENT BEYOND THE GOING TO THE DEALER AND INSPECTING BEFORE SIGNING OUT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE.
AL PORGES"

No where in his ad did he state that it was a 2nd, factory blemished item or had any flaws. The photo he included appeared to be a stock photo, not sure, but did not identify the blemish. I feel that he screwed me over, selling me a blemished, discounted item for full price and owning up to it. I would not purchase from Al Porges or Tackle Unlimited again.

I saw a kimber on gunsamerica for 1599. Looked nice and was 30 years old. Had a stock #510 on it or something. I called to buy it and I am told it sold. I then browse gunbroker and I see the same gun, same stock number for 1799. I call from a different phone and the same guy tells me it is for sale for 1799. I chose not to buy from there because I thought it was cheesy.

I PURCHASED A 44 MAG PISTOL FROM AL. HE IS VERY COURTEOUS/PROFESSIONAL AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM. IF HE AIN'T RIDING HIS HARLEY, YOU MIGHT CATCH HIM. BEST TO E-MAIL HIM WITH QUESTIONS AND HE WILL RESPOND. GOOD LUCK.

Tackle Unlimited review

Just wondering what there hours are and if they are reputable.

Unlike many gun dealers, he took the time for my questions and didn't give me a pathetic look when I asked a question about the various guns. I'm familiar with several shops South of Boston and can say Tackle hasn't raised prices like he was selling gasoline like others have. No gauging. You make an appointment and he's there and focuses on you alone. Limited overhead means lower prices. Bought three guns when there. One, as it turns out, had a defect. He took it back. No arguement. He also gets guns other dealers can't.

I was really surprised to see a few negative posts in this revived thread.

I bought a gun from Al for the first time last month. It is I think, a hard gun to find around here and I've been looking for it for about a year. Kind of expensive gun anyway but his price was fair-- Didn't gouge me at all. And I love the gun. (Actually it instantly became my wife's favorite... Brought it home; showed it to her; she took it, put a mag in, racked the slide, dry-fired, gave my a big grin, slipped it in her back pocket and walked off.)

If you're in MA, he's by appointment. Has a safe full of really nice guns. Seems like a good guy. Had a nice chat with him while making my purchase.

I'll definitely buy from him again.

I've purchased several firearms from him over the years, Al is a very pleasant man. His prices are what they are, usually he has things you can't find anywhere else, and he charges a premium for that. I see nothing wrong with it, it is supply and demand. If no one buys it at that price, probably he reduces is after a while. He is running a legit business, so there WILL be tax when you purchase, so be aware of that. He definitely stocks firearms that I don't find anywhere else, and I've taken advantage of that, and will probably buy again.

Anyone know what happened to Al and Tackle Unlimited? I used to see his posts on here as well as Gun Broker. Seems he's disappeared including his website.

He posted some items about a week and a half ago. My 1st purchase after joining NES was from Al. Hope he sticks around.

I believe he is retiring. It will definitely be a shame, as he offers a lot to us MA folks.
Thanks for the info. It will indeed be a shame if Al is riding off into the sunset, so to speak. I purchased one item from him a few months ago and was looking forward to doing business with him again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom