Any tricks for compressing a recoil spring in a 1911

I am just about done with my Remsport Match 1911 build. The only things left are the plunger tube (need to stake it) and the installation of the grip studs. One problem I had encountered was the recoil spring. I had purchased three different ones and I was not able to install any of them simply because I had no way of compressing them enough to fit onto the barrel. I ended up shortening one of them by about 3/4 of a coil and that made a huge difference. I just hope that there is still enough tension for the slide to cycle properly. I won't know that until I take my 1911 to the range which I hope will be this weekend.

Anyway, this brings me to the point of my post. Does anyone have a technique or a tool that would help in compressing and installing a recoil spring in a Officer's 1911? I would like to install a proper spring but there is no way I can do that using only my fingers. I am no Superman. [smile]

Thanks

Skip the full-length rod -- it is easier without one. I can't help you with staking, but if you get up near Framingham I can help you put the recoil spring on.

This will probably sound like a stupid question (but, I guess it has to be asked)... are you certain you have an officers model recoil spring and not a full length government model one?

This will probably sound like a stupid question (but, I guess it has to be asked)... are you certain you have an officers model recoil spring and not a full length government model one?

Unless labels on all three packages are wrong I would say that yes, I am sure. [wink]

Last edited:
Some of these units have a small hole on the side of the guide rod. It allows you to pull the slide back then insert a small paper clip type piece of metal and it captures the recoil system. Do you by chance have a small hole drilled on the side of the guide rod?

Semper Fi
1*

Some of these units have a small hole on the side of the guide rod. It allows you to pull the slide back then insert a small paper clip type piece of metal and it captures the recoil system. Do you by chance have a small hole drilled on the side of the guide rod?

Semper Fi
1*

No I don't. Besides, that would not help me considering that the slide is off the gun while I am trying to compress the spring. [wink]

Semper Fi
1*

I would think it should have a hole like that. All my bull barreled STIs have them. Compress the spring with the reverse plug and use a bent piece of paper clip to capture the plug on the guide rod. Insert the whole unit in the slide, reassemble, and when you rack the slide all the way back, the paper clip will fall out.

You should fit the spring to make sure it isn't too long. Put the head of the guide rod down, put the spring over, then the reverse plug. You should be able to push the reverse plug down and bottom out on the guide rod. It has nothing to do with the spring weight. If it doesn't bottom out, you won't get full slide travel and it will eventually break the barrel link, among other possible problems.

I would think it should have a hole like that. All my bull barreled STIs have them. Compress the spring with the reverse plug and use a bent piece of paper clip to capture the plug on the guide rod. Insert the whole unit in the slide, reassemble, and when you rack the slide all the way back, the paper clip will fall out.

I have never seen one with a hole and this one definitely doesn't have it.

You should fit the spring to make sure it isn't too long. Put the head of the guide rod down, put the spring over, then the reverse plug. You should be able to push the reverse plug down and bottom out on the guide rod. It has nothing to do with the spring weight. If it doesn't bottom out, you won't get full slide travel and it will eventually break the barrel link, among other possible problems.

Hmm, I think that the only way I can get the spring to compress and let plug bottom out is if I sit on it. Seriously, the spring is very, very stiff.

My Kimber Compacts have the full-length guide rod with a hole for the paper clip. It is a royal PITA to replace the spring. I end up using adjustable pliers to push down on the bushing hard enough to compress the spring.

I have never seen one with a hole and this one definitely doesn't have it.

Hmm, I think that the only way I can get the spring to compress and let plug bottom out is if I sit on it. Seriously, the spring is very, very stiff.

I just did some reading on Officer's Models and it seems like there are a couple options with the recoil spring. Some have dual springs.

If it were me, I would go with this:
EGW kit It has the hole for the retainer.

The Wilson kits recommends changing springs ever 300 rounds, the EGW says 5000. Everything from EGW is great.

Just watch that it doesn't slip... I could just see that thing flying off with the speed of a cruise missile.

+3. I always wear eye protection when putting the spring back on my Kimber Compact guide rod. The plug could put your eye out. I've already launched it across the basement several times.

I just did some reading on Officer's Models and it seems like there are a couple options with the recoil spring. Some have dual springs.

If it were me, I would go with this:
EGW kit It has the hole for the retainer.

The Wilson kits recommends changing springs ever 300 rounds, the EGW says 5000. Everything from EGW is great.

Thanks. I will definitely check it out.

fFnd a short piece of PVC pipe, split it lengthwise to the length of your guide rod, cut a slice down the middle down the length of the PVC, install the PVC, compress the sping and remove your little pipe before reassembling the slide.

Back
Top Bottom