• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any SKS pics

Here's mine. a 1967 Chinese short barrel...not import marked.

sks.jpg

1a425277-1.jpg

b9c8eb52.jpg

c3258748.jpg

5f83f99e.jpg

I've even got an SKS sticker on the back window of my truck, you might say I love these rifles.[smile] I plan on getting one from every country that produced them, even maybe an East German one someday. Thats the holy grail of SKS rifles. Only 2 are known to exist in private collections the US.
Do some searching in the Mil Surp forum here. You'll find lots of posts and info on the SKS.

I hear your SKS tele mark. Its saying.... "please, please, finish my stock with some tung oil and bring out my natural wood grain".[laugh]

Yeah -=- I got a little lazy. Here's the after picture. Not the greatest, but acceptable for my first attempt, with cheap ACE Hardware tung oil, and maybe an hour tops with sandpaper and steel wool:

yugo1.jpg

Now that shot looks correct to me. I noticed yours has a leather sling, looks like you got lucky. All my Yugos came with canvas but I've been thinking of picking up a few leather ones.
Took me a while to find a real Russian SKS sling, thankful for E Bay. lol

I just mounted mine with a scope last night. Lined it up today at the range. It was a total pain in the hinder, but now that it's sighted in it's very nice!

No pics yet. Once I locate the digital camera I'll post.

I just mounted mine with a scope last night. Lined it up today at the range. It was a total pain in the hinder, but now that it's sighted in it's very nice!

No pics yet. Once I locate the digital camera I'll post.

What brand mount and scope did you use?

Thanks

Great pics, thanks everyone. And also thanks for all the great Info and cool websites that were posted. Now I have something good to look at when I am at work. Please keep the photos comming.[grin]

Norinco receiver cover mount w/Weaver-ish style rail and a cheapo Barska scope, that's actually decent. 3-9 power 42mm lens, paralax adjustment and a 7 position light up reticle with range hatch marks (not quite a mildot, but similar principle).

A well spent $89 at Cabelas!

I will warn you that the mount I got with the scope from Cabelas fit on the Yugo SKS, but would not allow the bolt carrier to go all the way back for some reason. So, I swapped it out with a Norinco mount I had. I believe ithe Cabelas one is designed for a Chinese SKS.

I love this rifle BTW! So far, I've only put about 300 rounds downrange, and only shot it out to 100 yards. Anyone shoot out to 200 yards and beyond regularly? How does the Yugo model perform?

Last edited:
From what I've read, these are similar to and earlier than the AK, right? And also less expensive, right?

Also, there are a lot of options or different features or whatnot, some of which are preban some postban, some legal in MA, some not.

If one wanted a basic SKS, and didn't care about the bayonet and prefers the simple wood stock, what other features are available here in MA as a basic setup (not adding after the fact), and at a good price? I am assuming that forgoing the fancy stock and the bayonet mount will make the choices easier and the price easier as well. Am I correct in that?

Thanks for any info.

Some ( a very few) SKS's may have seen action in the very last days of WW2. They would have been used by the Ruskies until approx 1948 when the first AK47's came into use.

Most SKS's I've seen have a folding bayonet. I'm not sure that's an issue as most I've seen for sale are in gun shops and come from rebuild arsenals that way....not kludged on by bubba. Many have the grenade launcher and corresponding sights (with bayonet) on them. I don't care for that as it makes them longer, heavier and kludgier looking IMHO.

I think the only real potential problem is when you change the 'fixed' 10 round mag to a removable AK mag and add a pistol grip. I had a pistol grip on mine when I got it but still had the standard mag.

Someone will correct me I'm sure but the combo of pistol grip, removable hi cap mag MIGHT raise flags.

I'm sure most non altered weapons are good to go.

BTW, changing the fixed mag to a removable mag is asking for problems, reliability wise. Not generally recommended.

Last edited:
If you wanted to upgrade an SKS and keep the wood stock you could always go with new sights. There are several available including mounts that replace the rear sight so you can use a red dot. Removal of an SKS bayonet is easy. Theres usualy a screw that holds them in place. Take that out and the bayonet comes off. Lots of folks use the bayonet mount for a bi pod set up that was designed to attach to it using original hardware.
The biggest thing about any SKS is to make sure the firing pin and bolt are clean, and I mean really clean! If the pin rattles back and forth when you shake the bolt its safe. If it sticks and freezes up in the forward position theres a chance you could have a slam fire because the ping rides againt the primer when chambering a round.
Surplusrifle.com has a huge section on customizing the SKS.

Back
Top Bottom