Any recommendations on case prep?

roccoracer

NES Member
I find reloading relaxing most of the time but recently I started to loath prepping cases. What case prep machines are you guys using and what is you opinion as to if the cost was worth it?
I am looking To buying this one.
1b5c4cca17093cb2dfb9dedfa8fbb207.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I find reloading relaxing most of the time but recently I started to loath prepping cases. What case prep machines are you guys using and what is you opinion as to if the cost was worth it?
I am looking To buying this one.
1b5c4cca17093cb2dfb9dedfa8fbb207.jpg

I have this one and I bought it when it first came out at a introductory price of 79$ its ok. I do use it but not as much as I thought I would. I find myself still using hand tools.I do like the threaded storage though. keeps all the parts right there.

I swage on a dedicated Dillon Super Swage and use a Giraud Tri-Way trimmer that does length, inside and outside chamferring/deburring all in one step (http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri Way Trimmer.htm)

I also use the tri way for 30-06 and 223. For 7.5x55 swiss (haven't needed to trim yet) and 30 carbine, I use a Lee cutter and lock stud that I chuck into my drill.

I own that particular unit and find it's usefulness quotient to be a mixed bag.

What sort of reloading are you doing--limited runs of rifle ammo (for instance), or mass runs of (for instance) .223?

For limited runs I'd say it WILL increase your productivity, because you are only handling the brass once.

When prepping large volumes of brass, on the other hand, I ream the crimp from military primer pockets with a variable speed drill held in a vise. The Lyman unit cuts too slowly for that particular application, and imparts too much torque--it makes my fingers tired after awhile.

The given RPM of the Lyman unit does uniform primer pockets nicely, and uniforms flash holes nicely as well.

I don't care for most of these "multi tools". I also tried a Dillon swager and found it lacking. MY favorite "multi tool" is the RCBS power trimmer that trims and chamfers the case mouth. Primer pockets are done with a counter sink which can be used in a hand held drill or a drill press.

The only thing I dream of for bulk processing is the dillon case trimmer. With that you could deprime, resize, trim, chamfer and deburr all in one operation around the toolhead. Too bad it costs almost as much as the machine! One of these days I may pull the trigger...

I do not load in bulk generally. I load more handgun than anything and a normal run is just 200 rounds at a time. Mostly. 45 acp. I want to get involved in IDPA and so my usage and needs will go up. I have been working with my hands my whole life and they cramp when doing case prep by hand.

I do not load in bulk generally. I load more handgun than anything and a normal run is just 200 rounds at a time. Mostly. 45 acp. I want to get involved in IDPA and so my usage and needs will go up. I have been working with my hands my whole life and they cramp when doing case prep by hand.

For .45acp I hardly do any case prep. Quick tumble, then deprime as part of loading. I dont think I've ever cleaned or reamed a .45 primer pocket and I've never trimmed a .45 case, either.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've done at least 5000+ in the last few years this way and I've never had a problem whatsoever. I've been cycling the same 2000 brass the entire time and havent split a case and they havent grown much in length at all. This year i'll eventually dump it all and get a new "set" of brass.

All my case prep woes are for rifle cases.

Back
Top Bottom