• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any recent renewals in Weymouth?

sjohnston0311

NES Member
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the MA Gun Laws thread, so feel free to move it if necessary.

I currently have an unrestricted Class A from Hanover. My wife and I just bought a house in Weymouth, and my LTC is set to expire in March. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with renewals in Weymouth recently. Their website mentions letters of recommendation and a letter to the Chief, but the information on there seems outdated (since it still mentions Class B licenses). Does anyone know if the letters are required for renewals?

I know they're not really issuing restricted licenses anymore thanks to Comm2A, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience they could share. Thanks!

Got to read the requirements LITERALLY. I read this as you are not a "New Applicant".
  • New applicants applying for a license to carry require three (3) letters of recommendation showing good character, emotional stability, no excessive drinking habits, substance abuse or violent behavior. Two of these references can be the same as the ones you listed on the application. Each letter must be on 8 ½” X 11” paper, dated and signed and must show the author’s name, address and phone number. Letters from relatives are not acceptable.
Weymouth License to Carry, Firearms Packet | Weymouth MA

It looks as if you will need a letter to the chief, but no safety course if you read this literally, since you are a renewal. Officer Chase is an okay guy. He's going through the motions, and is not someone accustomed to typing 60 WPM with his fingers on the home keys.

This is IMO and IANAL, I have not renewed in Weymouth since I moved here. But they did get the penga slapped by Comm2A, so it should not be too difficult. Just be prepared to wait, like I said Officer Chase is not a paper pusher type, and has other things he is doing, read this as a LTC is low priority for the department heads.

Just renewed. Didn't need the letter to the chief, although I supplied one. I was told when I turned it in that it wasn't required. At least for the renewal. It took almost four months from submitting to getting for a renewal, which IMO is reflective of the the WPD opinion of the citizens.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the MA Gun Laws thread, so feel free to move it if necessary.

I currently have an unrestricted Class A from Hanover. My wife and I just bought a house in Weymouth, and my LTC is set to expire in March. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with renewals in Weymouth recently. Their website mentions letters of recommendation and a letter to the Chief, but the information on there seems outdated (since it still mentions Class B licenses). Does anyone know if the letters are required for renewals?

I know they're not really issuing restricted licenses anymore thanks to Comm2A, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience they could share. Thanks!

Just renewed. Didn't need the letter to the chief, although I supplied one. I was told when I turned it in that it wasn't required. At least for the renewal. It took almost four months from submitting to getting for a renewal, which IMO is reflective of the the WPD opinion of the citizens.

Better than they used to be, with the old system it took forever and they wouldn't give out unrestricted. I was told that unless I could document a "Good reason to fear harm" over and above that of a normal citizen they wouldn't do it. He even refused to expire my license when I moved and renewed elsewhere.

So they are adding additional requirements to the law and everyone is ok with that. How is this different from what Healey did?

So they are adding additional requirements to the law and everyone is ok with that. How is this different from what Healey did?
I don't recall anyone saying they were okay with it. Just statement of facts. The cop who does the LTC is okay pretty much, but the town is dickish about requirements. At least you can get a unrestricted now.

Personally, there should be NO requirement to obtain a LTC to buy. But the situation is what it is.

I don't recall anyone saying they were okay with it. Just statement of facts. The cop who does the LTC is okay pretty much, but the town is dickish about requirements. At least you can get a unrestricted now.

Personally, there should be NO requirement to obtain a LTC to buy. But the situation is what it is.
I wasn't saying anyone said it was ok, just pointing it out.

Back
Top Bottom