• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any place to try an M1A before I buy?

Cartoons

NES Member
I have what I think is an M1A itch that I'd like to scratch this year (if the finances work) - but I'd like to try before I buy. I know that you can do so with Pistols, but does anyone know of any ranges that allow you to borrow/test drive a rifle?

Background:
  • Other than taking an Appleseed, and owning a Thomson Center T/CR-22 (22-LR) I don't have any long-gun experience.
  • I don't want a bolt-action
  • Intended uses - Fun. Plinking. Hunting down in Georgia, Maine
  • Will probably need a scope
  • I have to shoot lefty (Cornea issue in right eye)
I'm drawn to the M1A, particularly the Scout Squad, so I'd like to see whether a Scout Scope orientation (with a Long Eye Relief scope) would work for me.

If there aren't any ranges that you can test-drive, would anyone be willing to let me tag along the next time they go to a range if I buy a couple boxes of .308?

Few things:

(1) Most gun stores have a M1A, so you should be able to handle one bare minimum if you call around or check websites and plan to hit two, three, four in a day. Barring that, you could visit a big outlet like Kittery Trading Post or Shooter's Outpost. Both have M1As but both would require asking for a salesperson to handle.

(2) I owned a SOCOM 16 and I found the recoil a lot less pleasant than a 7.62x54r Vepr I owned and the FALs that I've shot. I own a FAL now and I've shot two others and both have amazingly gentle recoil. If recoil is a concern, I'd suggest a FAL instead of a M1A. The FAL also has the advantage of an adjustable gas system if you want to go outside the 147-174gr pressure curve allowed by the M1A's action. Most M1A shooters recommend against using 180-240gr hunting ammo in the rifles. With a FAL, there's no such issue. The downside is if you live in Mass, you'd have to find a FAL in Mass because they're specifically banned in Mass in the Mass AWB. There's no real work-around for this besides buying a FAL or FAL receiver in Mass.

(3) Call these guys if you're willing to visit RI, they'll probably have a M1A to rent, but probably not a Scout Squad - hopefully I'm wrong:

Shooting Range | Elite Indoor Gun Range

Another option if you're willing to go in the opposite direction is Belmont Firearms in Belmont, NH:

Belmont Firearms & Range, LLC. - Rental Guns

Bula makes a lefty m14 you should look at.

See, I would imagine the M1A/M14 is very lefty-friendly, like an AK, because the safety is ambidextrous and the operating rod is on the right, so they could weak-hand charge the rifle.

I have what I think is an M1A itch that I'd like to scratch this year (if the finances work) - but I'd like to try before I buy. I know that you can do so with Pistols, but does anyone know of any ranges that allow you to borrow/test drive a rifle?

Background:
  • Other than taking an Appleseed, and owning a Thomson Center T/CR-22 (22-LR) I don't have any long-gun experience.
I'm drawn to the M1A, particularly the Scout Squad, so I'd like to see whether a Scout Scope orientation (with a Long Eye Relief scope) would work for me.

If there aren't any ranges that you can test-drive, would anyone be willing to let me tag along the next time they go to a range if I buy a couple boxes of .308?
Where are you located?
Im planning to do a cmp/nra shoot at hanson rod and gun. If we can workit our I will let you run my M1a loaded.
You just need to show up , same basic appleseed course of fire and as long as you are safe theres no problem.
Hanson is a intro to high power shoot. Scored are only important to the shooter.
If can wait a bit OCSA CMP games will be starting in about 6 weeks. Same offer stands

See, I would imagine the M1A/M14 is very lefty-friendly, like an AK, because the safety is ambidextrous and the operating rod is on the right, so they could weak-hand charge the rifle.

You're probably correct seeing how that's what leftys did before bula.
Bula is either solving a problem that doesn't exist or faced sufficient demand to invest in the tooling.
Not being wrong handed I've never really dug deep into the matter.
In any case, I'd buy a Bula before a SAI as prices are similar.

You're probably correct seeing how that's what leftys did before bula.
Bula is either solving a problem that doesn't exist or faced sufficient demand to invest in the tooling.
Not being wrong handed I've never really dug deep into the matter.
In any case, I'd buy a Bula before a SAI as prices are similar.
Theres plenty of deep pockets in the M1a relm and the lefty M1a does little to improve anything.
Im not sure if bula offered a scout LH or not? If you do by a lefty M1a make sure to buy any LH dedicated pArts that could fail now.

Oh, forgot: one more advantage the FAL has over the M1A. Cheaper and easier scope mounting. Optics on FALs go on screw-down dust covers over the ejection port. A modern, high-end DSA dust cover rail mount is like $90-100 and a NATO-style SARCO mount is like $40.

DS Arms - Scope Mount and Accessories

FAL Stanag Mount Original, New

In comparison, a good M1A scope mount is like $275 and operates more like an AK side rail:

Amazon product ASIN B003MA5ZA0View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MA5ZA0/?tag=thegunzone-20

Not a sarcastic answer but why buy an M1a if you have no place to shoot one? Get into a club then buy guns you can actually shoot would make sense I'd think.

?

He didn't say he has no place to shoot one, he said he wants to try before he buys. There's a good probability he's a member of a club that doesn't have any rifle competitions that necessitate a M1A, which is basically CMP. He also mentioned hunting with one in GA and ME.

But I agree, if he's not a member of a club, put the money towards that first.

I have a scoped, heavy barrel M1A I'm a righty but I shoot anything with a stock lefty and shooting this M1A lefty hasn't caused any problems. You can shoot it at Harvard if you bring some factory ammo of 145 to 150 grain. Guests are only allowed to shoot out to 100 yards.

There is no real need for a left hand M1a

Agree,
I've been shooting right handed rifles all my life and the only issue ever encountered was with the Marlin Camp 9 that loves to spit powder. My M1A has never been a problem.

Thanks everyone! I'll reach out via PM.

I'm on the Waltham line just outside 128, and yes nstassel is right and I should join a club first.

Thanks everyone! I'll reach out via PM.

I'm on the Waltham line just outside 128, and yes nstassel is right and I should join a club first.

Because you mentioned hunting, there's a few other things to keep in mind when you're trying the gun out:

*The Scout Squad weighs 8.8lbs without a sling, optic, mount, and loaded mag. The scope's going to add on between 3/4lbs and 1lbs. The mount, probably half a pound or more. A 5-round mag won't add much but you're looking at a minimum 10-12lbs rifle. For hunting involving movement, that's an obese rifle. For hunting from a sitting/standing position, not so much of a deal. If you're doing a lot of sitting, you might want to look at a longer barrel like a 22" Springfield Standard M1A.

*Because of the weight, a sling-swivel mounted bipod isn't a bad idea if you're hunting from a sitting position

*You'll probably want to improve on the OEM muzzle device with a muzzle brake or compensator; in that case, make sure you're wearing electronic ear pro while hunting

*The stock geometry on a M1A/M14 mandates a cheek riser once you add an optic, like the Bradleys:

Bradley adjustable tactical cheek rest m1a cheek rest

The M1A is heavy, expensive and not a precision rifle. It's probably not a good choice as a hunting rifle. If you want to put several bullets in a tiny hole, buy something else. If you want to put a bunch of fairly large bullets down range quickly without getting beat to shit, get one.

Background:

I missed the hunting part
A Remington 740 serried carbine would fit your needs better. Still plenty of them around From 243-30-06

I missed the hunting part
A Remington 740 serried carbine would fit your needs better. Still plenty of them around From 243-30-06

Yeah, I can understand wanting a M1A if he's doing hog hunting in GA or wants something he can set up on a bipod, but a M1A isn't optimal for most hunting situations. He'd have to make a M1A work for hunting. He'd have to spend $2000+++ to do that.

In comparison, a Remington 760/7600 with a scope already on it costs around $400-600. So a quarter of the price.

I can get wanting something "better" than a 740/7400 or 760/7600, but a new M1A + scope + scope rings or mount + receiver mount (optional) + hiring a gunsmith to mount the scope + sling (optional) + bipod (optional) is a minimum $2000 job if he buys a new Scout Squad and a mid-range, $250-400 scope. Oh, and not including a trigger job, the cheek riser, and anything else. Or ammo. Hunting ammo ain't cheap and he's going to want a fair amount of that to zero the rifle.

The question is what kind of hunting he's doing. If he's insistent upon no bolt actions, I'm assuming he's hunting hogs in GA. An AR would be fine for that, like in .300BLK, .277 Wolverine, 7.62x39, .450 Bushmaster, etc. Probably half the price of doing a M1A hunting build and no need to remediate for the design's lack of optics compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understood, but you can' have an AR in Mass. Now if the new job comes through and I move to NH, that's different.

Hogs in GA are definitely on the list. I'll definitely check out the 760/7600, and 740's.

Understood, but you can' have an AR in Mass. Now if the new job comes through and I move to NH, that's different.

Hogs in GA are definitely on the list. I'll definitely check out the 760/7600, and 740's.

Yes, you can [thumbsup]

There's literally a ton of threads on Mass guys wanting ARs. You'd want to get a pre-ban (pre-1994) lower to start off with and work with that. An AR set up for hunting could be a 7lbs rifle with optic if you prioritize lightness. So at least half the cost and weight of a M1A hunting rifle.

You'd probably want to do a build in .300BLK or 7.62x39.

@one-eyed Jack lol

I have been a member here for too long.

Am I the only one that clicked on the thread hoping to find a link to an M1 Abrams on sale?

--------------------

If you are near Cabelas, I saw one there like 2 weeks ago.

But they wont let you pull the trigger for "safety" reasons unless you ask them to take you to a back room and they allow you to pull the trigger there. Also, never buy there, all their gun prices are $100-200 more than anywhere else.

if you need to try...you don't really want to buy...

My apologies, but I don't understand this - I'd like to see whether a Scout Scope orientation (with a Long Eye Relief scope) would work for me. Members have offered to let me try their rifles in a couple of different configurations - and at different clubs/ranges. If I can try a scout rifle set-up too, and the Remingtons that were recommended that would be great.

I bought my M&P right after Newtown - when nothing else was available. It's a nice pistol, but I sure wish I had the opportunity to test drive a few options to make sure that it was the right one for me.

My apologies, but I don't understand this - I'd like to see whether a Scout Scope orientation (with a Long Eye Relief scope) would work for me. Members have offered to let me try their rifles in a couple of different configurations - and at different clubs/ranges. If I can try a scout rifle set-up too, and the Remingtons that were recommended that would be great.

I bought my M&P right after Newtown - when nothing else was available. It's a nice pistol, but I sure wish I had the opportunity to test drive a few options to make sure that it was the right one for me.
I will try to get the rem 740 in my hands. Its not a a scout style set up but a nice compact 4x scope would be fine for quick snap shots at pigs
If I do I will let you know , its going up for sale

OP the scout configuration is oversold. if you can shoot iron sights that's where the M14 shines. there is simply no solid optics configuration they all have major disadvantages including cost and loss of iron sights. the scout setup is nice with the 18 inch barrel but the scout optics rail is dumb unless one is wedded to a forward mounted RDS. i've owned a few scout scopes and the only one i've found acceptable is the leupold 2.5x but even this scope sort of blows. also the forward weight of the optic gets annoying. if you're looking for a scoped rifle with precision below 2 MOA I would not bother with an M14 at all. this has been discussed at nauseaum on other forums particulalry M14forum.

Bula makes a lefty m14 you should look at.

this if you decide you like the M14 and are shooting lefty i would look into a bula defense rifle. they will also hold resale value much better than a springfield M1A although I'm not sure with the lefty configuration not so sure there

OP the scout configuration is oversold. if you can shoot iron sights that's where the M14 shines. there is simply no solid optics configuration they all have major disadvantages including cost and loss of iron sights. the scout setup is nice with the 18 inch barrel but the scout optics rail is dumb unless one is wedded to a forward mounted RDS. i've owned a few scout scopes and the only one i've found acceptable is the leupold 2.5x but even this scope sort of blows. also the forward weight of the optic gets annoying. if you're looking for a scoped rifle with precision below 2 MOA I would not bother with an M14 at all. this has been discussed at nauseaum on other forums particulalry M14forum.

this if you decide you like the M14 and are shooting lefty i would look into a bula defense rifle. they will also hold resale value much better than a springfield M1A although I'm not sure with the lefty configuration not so sure there

When I owned my SOCOM 16, I added that same Leupold 2.5x fixed scout scope and I totally agree that its a shit solution that still requires a cheek riser. The M1A is simply not good for using optics with. The M1A can be made to work with optics, but its not as good as an AR or a gun designed for hunting optics.

Back
Top Bottom