Any Hope For a Licence Upgrade

When I first got my Class A when I moved to Medford, MA from Maine they told me that Medford will not issue ALP licences. More interested in getting into the shooting world than to spend an extreamly long time battling with overzelous PD I applied for a Class A Restricted to Target and Hunting (and got it maybe 20 days later).

Now I live in Belmont, one of my first activities in town was to set up a meeting with the officer in charge of issuing gun permits in Belmont. I couldn't have asked for a more up-front, frank, and nice guy to meet with.

I told him I was interested in re-applying for my licence, and I'd like it to be an ALP. Of course being a frank guy he told me it would never get past the Cheif's desk without picking up a restriction. He also told me it would be CONSIDERED as a re-issue.

So besides waiting untill 2010 and trying my luck then (and I wouldn't wadger on thems odds), moving to one of our many Shall-issue States. (I've only been in the PRM for 3 years and moved twice!) or hiring a lawyer with money I'd rather spend on other things. Do I have a hope?

What would you recomend?

-Weer'd Beard

You could always rent an apartment for a couple of months in a friendly town, and try it there?

Either way Andy, it's going to be tough. Melrose is an allegedly "shall issue" town. I was there, talked to some of the other LEOs, they all agreed that ALP was the only license to issue. I spoke with the guy in charge, he seemed disinterested at best. I put in my application anyway, with all sorts of bells and whistles like really good references (read: lawyers) and my certificates from the NRA and Mass State Police. After the legally allowed 40 days was up I called and he told me that he was still waiting to hear back from the Criminal History board. So... I called the CH people and they said, "who are you? Never heard of you. No we don't have anything here with that name." [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

So at that point we had decided we were moving back to Somerville anyway and we wouldn't have enough time to fight it so I just withdrew my application. Since it was never processed it doesn't count as being denied. But the guy was a straight up liar. So, since my S&T was issued in Somerville, I'm probably going to have to wait it out, too. But I have been considering going down and talking to the guy, anyway. Just to see.

My advice is, go straight to the Chief. Talk to him. This guy you spoke to said it wouldn't make it past the Chiefs desk. I figure he said that because he would be the one who would have to bring it there, and he wouldn't actually do that. Just an idea. But good luck. It's not going to be easy.

culture shock

FYI, The link is dead.

Police, resident grapple over unrestricted firearms permit

By Jennifer Jope / [email protected]
Wednesday, February 4, 2004

Jim Talbert had a culture shock when he moved from Colorado to Medford.

Hailing from a community that never required a firearms license, trying to obtain a Massachusetts license was a new concept to Talbert and now he says it hasn't been easy, thanks to the Medford Police Department.

At a recent City Council meeting Talbert and his wife, Beverly, went before the body to explain the difficulty in getting a firearms license in Medford. Talbert said if one is denied a license, an explanation is required. Not so for a restricted license, which is what Talbert received.

"Obviously this is the method of choice used by the Medford police station," said Talbert.

Talbert applied for his license on Aug. 12 and when he received it Nov. 26, it was restricted to target shooting and hunting. Talbert argued he was not fingerprinted until the day he received the license so therefore, Medford Police Department restricted his license before they reviewed his record.

"I'm a citizen in good civic standing," said Talbert. "This is not equal opportunity licensing."

Talbert added he needed an unrestricted license when he was trying to get a job with Loomis Fargo. He said police informed him he would need a new license and must pay the fee again. Talbert said he was also told that if he left that job, he would need to apply for the license and pay the fee again. Talbert told the City Council that this was "legal extortion."

But Chief of Police Leo A. Sacco Jr. said he has nothing against Talbert and is only following the state firearms laws.

"He hasn't received any worse or better treatment," said Sacco.

Sacco added that in his 13 years as chief, he has never given a firearms license for all lawful purposes, which is the license Talbert is seeking.

Talbert said it makes sense that Sacco has a say in the issuing of licenses for at-risk users.

"I understand in some cases, the chief's discretion is very valuable," said Talbert.

But for someone like Talbert, who said he wants an unrestricted license for self-defense, he doesn't think the restricted license is necessary.

And Talbert's wife, Beverly, a lifelong Medford resident, said she is baffled by the treatment Jim has received.

"I've been embarrassed by what the police chief has said (and) done," said Beverly. "All my husband wants is his firearms permit."

Upon hearing this, City Councilor Robert Maiocco said this seemed to be a personal matter, but he would inquire about the restriction.

"This is the first time I've heard such a complaint," added Maiocco.

Councilor Michael Marks asked about a policy, but Talbert knew of none.

"If it was in writing, it would convey a public standard," said Talbert.

Marks wanted to know the criteria for issuing a permit.

Sacco said the basic license that the Medford Police Department generally hands out is for target shooting and hunting. The unrestricted licenses are given for the "protection of life" and are usually given to law enforcement, government officials and business owners who live in the city.

"We try to be as consistent as possible," said Sacco.

http://www.townonline.com/medford/news/local_regional/med_newmtfirearmsnctmp02042004.htm

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without profit or payment to those who
have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more
information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

While reading the above article saying that Medford only issues Target/hunting I was going to reply that it wasn't true. My friend has a "Protection of Life" but then they mentioned that in the last line.

Protection of Life is just as bad, if not worse. Sure, you can carry concealed, but under that sort of vaguely specific (you like that, right?) reason for issuance you could technically be found to be breaking the law if you ever use your gun for hunting, plinking, competition or basic practice.

Well the only thing I can say is in the article it says he's been the chief for 13 years, hopefully it's time for him to retire soon and they get somebody with some common sense in there next.

There's a part of me who is VERY glad I didn't take my first steps to be a gun owner utill I moved to Medford.

I think people in other states have NO idea how horrible it can be for Mass gun owners here. I'm sure many people from the more gun-friendly might think such foolishness just doesn't exist in America.

I have a feeling that when I meet with the Belmont Cheif I'll get the same explanation. If I do, I'm going to ask for that explanation in writing anyway (even though it's not required).

Man I'm feeling down-in-the-dumps after reading that. [sad]

-Weer'd

M1911 said:
Move to arlington.

Yeah I heard they were Shall-Issue. I actully looked at a place there, but it was too small.

nope not moving again....and frankly that shouldn't be a reasonable solution either!

Sez how much is wrong with this state. BTW anybody looked at the crime rates of bourdering towns that are "will issue" and "Shall issue". I'm willing to bet that Arlington isn't a bucket of blood because the COP allows CCW.

-Weer'd Beard

Move to Marlboro - the COP is pretty reasonable here. I was chatting with a MPD Sgt today (we were both in Callaghan's Firearms!) and he mentioned that Chief Leonard is a hunter.

Back
Top Bottom