• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Forum Members Into Wildcatting

I'm thinking you can vaporize a squirrel at those velocities. Please take video. Do the bullets themselves hold together at those rates, or do they tear themselves apart?

edit: Ignore my question. You type faster than I do.

A 22-06 AI? Do I have that correct?
You will certainly be getting some practice in replacing barrels.
What are you screwing them onto?

A 22-06 AI? Do I have that correct?
You will certainly be getting some practice in replacing barrels.
What are you screwing them onto?

Pat,

Read dean's earlier posts. He describes how the barrels really wear just at the chamber end with these super fast sub-calibers. When the throat is shot out, he cuts a bit off the chamber end, re-chambers it, rethreads it and puts it back on the receiver.

One of the benefits of the Savage system is that this can all be DIY.

This thread is really worth a read from the beginning. Also, Dean has what come call a RemAge. Its a Remington that has been changed to use the savage barrel system.

Last edited:
I did the conversion myself it is not that hard or complicated, actually they are frowned upon by gunsmiths and most won't do them. probably due to the fact that they won't be able to charge you $300.00 to install a barrel anymore after that. I tell you what as much as I thought I knew everything I needed to know about reloading. I have still learned a lot more over the years from you and this forum. so I have decided it's Karma time, so this is my offer I will gladly show you how the conversion is done, heck maybe you could do one of your classes just like your reloading ones I am up for it. all I need is a bench vise and even if you don't have one I will bring mine. I will PM you my info and we can come up with something.

Dean

What an awesome offer, and what a great community this is.

It is exactly as easy as Dean says to swap Savage barrels. Opens a lot of options, especially for us lefties.

Savage 12 build

I'm not at the 10 minute swap point, because (so far) I've got one barrel per action and I haven't cut a clearance in my receiver vise for scope mounts. So, maybe 45 minutes?? [smile]

Beats paying a gunsmith to do new barrels, and allows building rifles in configurations that wouldn't otherwise exist. A lathe big enough to do barrel work is now on my wish list, though.

Yes I did and it literally knocked me on my A$$, it was one of my prouder moments.LOL I had to send it back to the gunsmith with three fired cases so he could make some adjustments, that always happened's when you are dealing with something new and have nothing to go on, it probably would have been OK but I am very persnickety when it comes to my wildcats as you can see I take pride in my creations.

Dean

So awesome.
Any ballistics on them?

^I'd wear my 5.11 shirt to the shoot to meet OP

41006AV_019_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom