• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Forum Members Into Wildcatting

The 22 X 55 I use 22BR or 223 WSSM dies 6.5 X 55 brass it has to be necked down to 6mm first then 22cal.
Dean, great thread. I am impressed that you're going one out beyond 22BR! I shied away from running a 22BR (fast twist) I got used/unfired a few years ago. Had it re-barreled to something more standard.

Some more .17's:

17calibers.jpg

This one looks pretty cool:

Sounds good to me.

I don't know about the 700, but rebarreling a Savage is easier than setting up a backyard forge.

Check it out:

Savage-Barrel-Barrel-Nut-Action.jpg

The barrel nut is on the left, the barrel's in the middle, and the receiver's on the right. You thread the nut all the way up the barrel to get it out of the way, screw the barrel a little way into the receiver, chamber a "GO" headspace gage with the bolt, screw the barrel into the receiver until it hits the gage, back it off a hair, then tighten the barrel nut like a lock nut.

Question: Could you roll with a similar setup for standard calibers when you merely want to be able to swap out target barrels after a thousand rounds or so?

Yes, yes, and yes that is what makes it so user friendly.

Dean

I just got a little giddy at all the possibilities.

While a reloading set up is a ways out, I wondering what else I could do with my 700 SA (.308 bolt) as far as calibers...oh man, you may have created a monster...

What are some rounds with the same foot as a .308? .30-06 won't eject in an SA, correct?

I just got a little giddy at all the possibilities.

While a reloading set up is a ways out, I wondering what else I could do with my 700 SA (.308 bolt) as far as calibers...oh man, you may have created a monster...

What are some rounds with the same foot as a .308? .30-06 won't eject in an SA, correct?

The first thing we need to do is switch you over to Savage with their easy change barrels. ;-)

I like my 22, 243, and 264 X 55 Swede wild cats, they hold 58+ gr of powder and fit in a short action, you can get some serious velocity, and Lapua brass is $70.00 per hundred and last forever,

Dean

Thats roughly 14gr more than a .308, right? I get about 44 grains of 4064 into most brass before it compresses.

How does it manage this without getting into 30-06 length? Is it fatter?

For those of you wondering what this 6.5 X 55 swede case is, it has been around for over 120 years so it isn't going anywhere, it is The Swede's version of the 30-06 case, which was then adopted to civilian use just like the 30-06 did, it is very popular in other parts of the country, just not the northeast for some reason, I suspect the 30-30 has something to do with that. the reason it is so liked is it's long action case capacity in a short action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5×55mm

Dean
The foot of the 6.5 must be almost identical to .308/.30-06. The I use 6.5x55 five round clips in all my American bolt guns.

File:6.5x55mm_Swedish_surplus_ammunition,_produced_in_1976.JPG

They hold on to the .30-06 cases quite well, though a little looser than I'd expect Swede to be.

Back
Top Bottom