Antique question

Thinking about buying an M39 built on an 1895 receiver. Does this need to be recorded on an FA-10 upon receipt?

Damn, good question. I will not pretend to know the definite answer but will throw this question out there:

Does adding post-1898 parts to an antique firearm receiver somehow negate the receiver's status as an antique? Hmmm. I don't know. I know that replacing parts on a C&R eligable gun with non-original parts will void it's C&R status, but it's a gray area. If I put a Bulgarian grip on my East German Makarov, it doesn't change the C&R status. If I put a new synthetic Monte Carlo stock on a Yugo SKS, I'm told that does void the C&R status. (And if you put the original Yugo stock back on, it again becomes C&R) I'm interested to know the answer to this question as well. Everything C&R eligable I own is in completely original configuration so I never really had to worry about any of this stuff.

(and I realize the C&R question doesn't really coincide with what you're asking but I'm trying to draw parallels.)

Last edited:
By definition, a firearm with an antique receiver is an "antique" and not a "firearm", so it does not have to be recorded on an FA-10.

As far as changing the barrel or other parts go, as long as the replacement is original equipment (even if made after 1898), the gun would still be C&R OK. The place where people get in trouble is when they try to mount components that were never original to the gun and try to sell them. For example, it is possible to fit a certain machine gun magazine onto an Egyptian Hakim to increase it's capacity from the standard 10 rounds. But, it is not "standard" equipment, and would void C&R qualifications.

The above is based on MY reading and understanding of the rules. For more definitive information, read the regs yourself, or check with your local BATF office.

Just out of curiosity, how did you date the receiver? I have an M39 with a hex receiver with the imperial crest still intact on it, but there's no date on the receiver itself IIRC.

Just out of curiosity, how did you date the receiver? I have an M39 with a hex receiver with the imperial crest still intact on it, but there's no date on the receiver itself IIRC.

Original receiver dates are found on the tang like the one shown here:

FinnM39ReceiverTang.JPG

Back
Top Bottom