Anti-gun amendment in cyber security bill S. 3414

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgp

I joined this forum because I thought it would be a good place to get info on gun-related issues. However, it looks like my first post is going to be political, sorry.

S. 3414 is the Cyber Security Act of 2012. While this bill in its own right should probably have you calling your senators (since it will allow your ISP to give away or sell all info about your online activities to the government and 3rd parties with no liability), it has been made even worse by Senator Schumer. He is including an anti-gun amendment to make it illegal for ANYONE in any state to own a high capacity magazine or "feeding device." The news headlines have been saying the government isn't going to pursue gun control laws. However, they're just trying to sneak it in the back door. For more information see:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/240657-cybersecurity-bill-includes-gun-control-measure

Call your senators please, and pass this along.

Every time one of their efforts fails, you have to look for the next. It's a constant assault.

This is a little off the topic of S.3414, but I just read that the UN Small Arms Trade Treaty negotiations have broken down and there will be NO DRAFT TREATY!!!! One of the major reasons was that so many participating state's delegations (not just the US) were insisting that civilian firearms (and in some instances small arms in general) not be included in the treaty.

Looks like we can rest easy on UN gun grabbing for a while.

I joined this forum because I thought it would be a good place to get info on gun-related issues. However, it looks like my first post is going to be political, sorry.

S. 3414 is the Cyber Security Act of 2012. While this bill in its own right should probably have you calling your senators (since it will allow your ISP to give away or sell all info about your online activities to the government and 3rd parties with no liability), it has been made even worse by Senator Schumer. He is including an anti-gun amendment to make it illegal for ANYONE in any state to own a high capacity magazine or "feeding device." The news headlines have been saying the government isn't going to pursue gun control laws. However, they're just trying to sneak it in the back door. For more information see:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/240657-cybersecurity-bill-includes-gun-control-measure

Call your senators please, and pass this along.

Two can play at that game. I've been saying this for a long time. Just start adding gun rights language to all the other bills. Call it "corrective language" or something. For instance, put the "Katrina Bill" language in when they vote on some budgetary bill after a blizzard or other big storm. Add shall issue language when amending public safety budgetary figures, etc.

GET CREATIVE, PEOPLE!

Coyote33 said:
Two can play at that game. I've been saying this for a long time. Just start adding gun rights language to all the other bills. Call it "corrective language" or something. For instance, put the "Katrina Bill" language in when they vote on some budgetary bill after a blizzard or other big storm. Add shall issue language when amending public safety budgetary figures, etc.

GET CREATIVE, PEOPLE!

Agree completely. One wonders why these pathetic Republicans have never tried it.

Senator Scott Brown reply

I wrote Senators Brown & Kerry and Congressman John F. Tierney to urge them to NOT support an amendment to the cybersecurity bill that would limit the purchase of high capacity gun magazines for some consumers. See Responses Below:

BROWN:
Dear Mr. Macpherson,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedy in Aurora, Colorado. I appreciate hearing from you and value your opinion.

On July 20, 2012, James Holmes opened fire in a crowded movie theater, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. After such a tragic event, we must come together as a nation to mourn those who were lost and keep the victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers. To that end, I supported H.Con. Res. 134, which condemned the heinous atrocity that occurred in Aurora; this resolution passed the Senate on July 26, 2012.

I was committed to public safety as a State Representative and State Senator and remain so as your U.S. Senator. Massachusetts has some of the strongest gun laws in the country, and I supported an assault weapons ban at the state level. However, I believe that the best people to enact public safety measures to prevent another tragedy are the citizens of individual states, specifically the people of Colorado in this instance.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov.
Sincerely,
Scott P. Brown
United States Senator

KERRY:
Thank you for contacting my online office. I always appreciate hearing from you, whether you're getting in touch with us for help on a constituent matter or weighing in on the issues being debated right now in the United States Senate -- whatever the reason for your email, please know that we read these emails diligently and please be assured that our office will work in a timely manner to respond to your comments and concerns. If this matter is time sensitive, I'd encourage you to also call my offices in Massachusetts or Washington and speak with a member of my team so there's no waiting and we can begin to help you today. DC 202-224-2742. MA 617-565-8519.

John F. Tierney:

Dear Mr. Macpherson:

Thank you for your recent email. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

With respect to your specific inquiry, I believe we must support policies that seek to promote safety and reduce gun violence. I certainly do not advocate confiscating all guns, but I do believe that steps can and should be taken toward implementing sensible, fair, and balanced gun laws that will help to reduce the number of people who are wounded or killed by accidental and intentional shootings every year. In particular, we must do more to protect our nation’s children who, tragically, all too often are hurt by such incidents. I believe we should agree on commonsense measures that promote safety efforts designed to keep guns out of the hands of unsupervised children, dangerous criminals, and those who are mentally unstable and distinguish between weapons clearly intended for rapid-fire mass destruction and those used by responsible hunters or sports shooters.

Please know that I have noted your comments regarding S.A. 2575. As you know, S.A. 2575 was introduced in the U.S. Senate. Be assured, I will continue to monitor this issue closely and, should similar legislation be brought to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote, I would keep your views in mind. In the meantime you may be interested in contacting Senators Kerry and Brown, if you have not done so already, to express your views. I have provided their contact information below:

Senator John Kerry
304 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Washington, D.C. Office Phone: (202) 224-2742
Massachusetts Office Phone: (617) 565-8519
Web Form: kerry.senate.gov/bandwidth/contact/email.html

Senator Scott Brown
359 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington D.C. 20510
Washington, D.C. Office Phone: (202) 224-4543
Massachusetts Office Phone: (617) 565-3170
Web Form: http://scottbrown.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailscottbrown

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to do so regarding any matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,
sig.gif

John F. Tierney
Member of Congress

I am not sure how either of them stand and I don't think I ever will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom