• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another question about MA-NH move

So, I understand that when I move to NH I'll give up my right to carry in MA until I apply for a non resident LTC. So what about going to the range? I'm going to keep my membership in Westford, because I like it there, but can I bring my firearms to the range after I move up north without the non res ltc? I'm talking about locked and unloaded in the trunk?

Just print out the match bulletin that your attending and carry it with you, and yes locked and unloaded. [wink]

I wouldn't chance it even WITH a flyer. I've met quite a few LEO's who only had a vague knowledge of Massachusetts Gun Laws.

I transport to matches in MA all the time. Unloaded and locked.
I would love to join Harvard, but I can't take firearms there for practice and I'll be damned if I'll give any more money to MA. Why isn't the income tax on non-residents considered taxation without representation?

If you're just going to plink, vs. a match, that could be an issue.

I would seriously consider joining Pelham, or whatever club is closest to your destination in NH. If you're living in NH, you'll have alot more opportunities to shoot if the club is only 10 minutes away vs. 1/2 hour drive.

Last edited:
Took me a little while to find a new club here and give up my ties to my old clubs in Mass,now I don't want to chance taking anything into Mass for any reason. You'll get that feeling after a while too, it comes from the freedom in the air up here, and the fact that cops up here aren't such a-holes about weapons in the car.

Took me a little while to find a new club here and give up my ties to my old clubs in Mass,now I don't want to chance taking anything into Mass for any reason. You'll get that feeling after a while too, it comes from the freedom in the air up here, and the fact that cops up here aren't such a-holes about weapons in the car.

+1

While it is good to be wary, federal law covers non-residents coming into or transporting through a state, properly boxed and locked with ammo separate.

Do a google search or email GOAL for a cite. Then, print the law and carry a copy with you along with the match bulletin. These precautions should suffice. :)

While it is good to be wary, federal law covers non-residents coming into or transporting through a state, properly boxed and locked with ammo separate.
Careful there. What FOPA says is that if you are legal in your state of origin, and you are legal in your state of destination, and you transport in accordance with FOPA, then you are legal in between.

FOPA does not cover the situation described here -- a resident in NH going to a range in MA. What matters for his legality in MA in this case are MA laws, since that is his destination.

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.[5]

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

Too bad there is no defination of what consists of and extended period of time. Not that it matters, I'd bet if they found a gun in your car either place it would still become very costly for you.

The world is filled with, right, wrong and "that's the way it is". Just because something is right doesn't mean you won't have to deal with "that's the way it is". [crying]

All of these comments are great, but you need to obtain proper advice from a Massachusetts firearms lawyer.

"While it is good to be wary, federal law covers non-residents coming into or transporting through a state, properly boxed and locked with ammo separate."

The key word there is "through." If you are going to MA, you are NOT going "through a state" for these purposes.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom