• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another gun hearings thread, but take a look

So, I have had plenty of time to sit & reflect on the final hearing yesterday, discuss it with other people who attended, etc. First, I would rather like this not turn into some flame war, of who attended, who didnt, etc. Take the angry hat off, and bear with me.

First, these hearings are actually going our way. The initial intent was, of course, to avoid a fiasco that NY is currently facing. This would be bad publicity for all politicians involved-moreso, if they actually lost seats because of it. Think about it-imagine if they immediately forced these ridiculous recommendations through, and then were recalled. We could, literally, bring down the house. They are aware of that. The DOWNSIDE of waiting this long is, honestly, almost NO ONE CARES anymore. Their time has come, and gone. Who is speaking on the anti side? 6 groups. Moms Demand Action, Gun Violence Coalition, a couple of religious community groups, and Rosenthals puppets, to include the kids group. Thats IT. ALL of their speakers, belong to these groups. They ALL show up, and give the same testimony. Dont think for a second, its helping them. If you watched yesterday, when were the committee members taking breaks? When these groups were speaking. They would lean back, talk amongst each other-never wrote anything down. Why? They are the same people saying the same things. This isnt helping them-watch the body language.

Alternately, when we speak-they lean forward. They actively engage us. We have personal stories-not the SAME ones, but REAL ones. We arent reading from a script. If you were there yesterday, you saw Viera's response to the MDA economist. He is one of two that we KNOW are behind us. Naughton is very friendly with the anti gun groups, sure, but, he is also aware of his political career. As are the others. Think about if a comprehensive bill was put together, and died. There would be a lot of outcry from the antis-but, it would mean political suicide for politicians. So, what would be the solution for them?
One idea, and not my own, is that, they will table this until next year. They will call it research, whatever, but it will give them time to not burn their bridges, within their parties. They certainly will not be rushing anything through this legislative year-at least, not from what I understand.

In speaking with my senator, and one of my reps, the general feeling is that there will be very limited action on this-none of which will actually affect us. There will be additional money asked for school safety, money for research into mental health (my own feeling on this, and I have shared this with my legislators, is that this issue needs to be addressed separately-it REALLY doesnt tie into the gun violence thing at all), a stronger enforcement for current laws, with the addition of trafficking laws (these are rep Petersons bills, endorsed by GOAL), and a look at the licensing issue. Now, the last one may give you pause, but the committee has heard, for a year now, how poorly it is run. Will there be a better licensing procedure? Likely not. BUT, the plan is to put money towards it, to speed the process up, so they are compliant with their own laws.
The more radical proposals have been all but dismissed. There simply isnt enough interest in them, to make it worthwhile. At least 2 of the committee members know that they do nothing to solve the gun violence issue. That being said, lets discuss who, exactly, is pushing the main issues of universal background checks, one gun a month, and magazine limits.

Moms Demand Action-this is a Bloomberg funded political tool. These same people, come to ALL these. They dont even TRY to switch it up. There are, at MOST, a couple hundred members in this state. Active, maybe a dozen.

Rosenthals two groups-the adult one, and the kid one. Again, they say the same thing. The kid panel has read the same script 5 times now. The handgun violence group, breaks up their committees-but are all members of the same group. Maybe a couple hundred members, only a few dozen, at best, that are active.

The religious organizations-they represent their respective houses. They have the same panels of speakers. They take their membership with them to these, but, well, its hard to gauge how many support them-or are even aware of it.

Now, looking at these groups, who benefits from the passage of laws? None. Who suffers if they dont pass? None.

Lets look at us. No panels. We all speak as individuals. We speak as to how these laws would affect us personally. We consistently tell the panel that we, too, want to stop gun violence-ALL violence (as one speaker said last night). But, the laws will not do that. The laws we CURRENTLY have dont do that. To a person, we tell our personal stories, not tugging at heartstrings, but asking, honestly and openly, why its WE who have to bear these laws-and no other group-for the failure of the justice system? We have different people at each hearing. We also have some of the same, but never giving the same testimony. WE are the ones being affected. Now, who are WE?

We are the somewhere between 300 and 400,000 licensed firearms owners in this state. We are the ones who have a true grass roots movement. We are the ONLY ones who continue to call our state house (this has been said by several reps-we are the only ones still hounding them), WE are the voices they are hearing.

When it all boils down, there are 3 groups in this state involved in this battle.
those of us lawful citizens who own firearms-lets say, 300,000 of us.

Those groups being funded to push a political agenda-maybe a few hundred of them, tops.

The other 99% of this state, who have absolutely no idea what the current laws are, who will never give it a second thought, and could honestly care less.

Thats where we stand. Its not a lost fight. In fact, it looks, for once, that we could win this. We maintained momentum. We arent some well funded group. They actively engage us. Ours are the voices they still hear from. So, you can choose to move to another state. You can throw your hands up, call people here sheep, whatever, and wait for your "go time". You (meaning myself as well) can call each other names, chastise each other for showing up, or not showing up, call each other Fudds, or whatever. Or, you can call your reps and senators, speak to them, have a face to face meeting with them. Discuss the issues with them. Tell them how it will affect you. Because, they ARE listening.

On a side note, I am networking with one of the anti groups. I was approached, before they left, as they said that Jim Wallaces words really rung with them.

This is our open door. There are certain groups we will never crack: MDA, Brady, Rosenthals goons-but, a lot of the other organizations, think rationally. I am going to get them to agree to let me speak at a meeting. We actually DO have a lot of common ground-NONE of us wants gun violence in our communities. Its how we go about getting that, is the difference. But, I plan on explaining to them that additional gun laws will not solve problems. Mind you, they only consistently hear one side of the story-the media side. They are ignorant of the facts.

Being aggressive with them doesnt help. Speaking to them, engaging with them, does. Myself, and two other members, yesterday, have started this process. Its something we should have tried sooner. It works. When anti comes up to ME, and tells ME that the two most impressive, and thought provoking testimonials, were from myself in Worcester, and Jim Wallace yesterday-thats a door that you simply do not close. You walk through it. I am planning on doing just that. Imagine if we can actually get some of them to understand-REALLY understand-how these laws simply will not work. If I can reach across the aisles, anyone can. Mind you, THEY came to ME-not the other way around. This showed hope. I will not let that opportunity slip.

Last edited:
I have said it once before but there are over 30,000 user names on this forum. Let's say 20,000 of those are out of state, dups, banned, inactive or belong to Martha and her thugs. Can't we get an online petiton signed by all the MA members with thier name and address and submit it with a statement saying we oppose X-Y bills and advocate for tougher penalties? You have all there "panels" yesterday saying thye "represent" x 100,000 people but you still only see these 3 people. It would be a powerful message to have a statement signed by a thousand or 5 thousand or even 10k gun oweners. How many members does GOAL have? It seems easy to me but maybe I am crazy...

For those who can't read large blocks of text, I added some carriage returns. For the grammar/spelling Nazis out there, I added apostrophes and a few boolets for you. I didn't touch the content, this is a good worthwhile read.

So, I have had plenty of time to sit & reflect on the final hearing yesterday, discuss it with other people who attended, etc. First, I would rather like this not turn into some flame war, of who attended, who didn't, etc. Take the angry hat off, and bear with me.

First, these hearings are actually going our way. The initial intent was, of course, to avoid a fiasco that NY is currently facing. This would be bad publicity for all politicians involved-moreso, if they actually lost seats because of it. Think about it-imagine if they immediately forced these ridiculous recommendations through, and then were recalled. We could, literally, bring down the house. They are aware of that. The DOWNSIDE of waiting this long is, honestly, almost NO ONE CARES anymore. Their time has come, and gone. Who is speaking on the anti side? 6 groups. Moms Demand Action, Gun Violence Coalition, a couple of religious community groups, and Rosenthal's puppets, to include the kids group. Thats IT. ALL of their speakers, belong to these groups. They ALL show up, and give the same testimony. Don't think for a second, its helping them. If you watched yesterday, when were the committee members taking breaks? When these groups were speaking. They would lean back, talk amongst each other-never wrote anything down. Why? They are the same people saying the same things. This isn't helping them-watch the body language.

Alternately, when we speak-they lean forward. They actively engage us. We have personal stories-not the SAME ones, but REAL ones. We aren't reading from a script. If you were there yesterday, you saw Viera's response to the MDA economist. He is one of two that we KNOW are behind us. Naughton is very friendly with the anti gun groups, sure, but, he is also aware of his political career. As are the others. Think about if a comprehensive bill was put together, and died. There would be a lot of outcry from the antis-but, it would mean political suicide for politicians. So, what would be the solution for them?

One idea, and not my own, is that, they will table this until next year. They will call it research, whatever, but it will give them time to not burn their bridges, within their parties. They certainly will not be rushing anything through this legislative year-at least, not from what I understand.

In speaking with my senator, and one of my reps, the general feeling is that there will be very limited action on this-none of which will actually affect us. There will be additional money asked for school safety, money for research into mental health (my own feeling on this, and I have shared this with my legislators, is that this issue needs to be addressed separately-it REALLY doesn't tie into the gun violence thing at all), a stronger enforcement for current laws, with the addition of trafficking laws (these are rep Peterson's bills, endorsed by GOAL), and a look at the licensing issue. Now, the last one may give you pause, but the committee has heard, for a year now, how poorly it is run. Will there be a better licensing procedure? Likely not. BUT, the plan is to put money towards it, to speed the process up, so they are compliant with their own laws.

The more radical proposals have been all but dismissed. There simply isn't enough interest in them, to make it worthwhile. At least 2 of the committee members know that they do nothing to solve the gun violence issue. That being said, lets discuss who, exactly, is pushing the main issues of universal background checks, one gun a month, and magazine limits.

• Moms Demand Action-this is a Bloomberg funded political tool. These same people, come to ALL these. They don't even TRY to switch it up. There are, at MOST, a couple hundred members in this state. Active, maybe a dozen.
  • Rosenthal's two groups-the adult one, and the kid one. Again, they say the same thing. The kid panel has read the same script 5 times now. The handgun violence group, breaks up their committees-but are all members of the same group. Maybe a couple hundred members, only a few dozen, at best, that are active.
  • The religious organizations-they represent their respective houses. They have the same panels of speakers. They take their membership with them to these, but, well, its hard to gauge how many support them-or are even aware of it.

Now, looking at these groups, who benefits from the passage of laws? None. Who suffers if they don't pass? None.

Lets look at us. No panels. We all speak as individuals. We speak as to how these laws would affect us personally. We consistently tell the panel that we, too, want to stop gun violence-ALL violence (as one speaker said last night). But, the laws will not do that. The laws we CURRENTLY have don't do that. To a person, we tell our personal stories, not tugging at heartstrings, but asking, honestly and openly, why its WE who have to bear these laws-and no other group-for the failure of the justice system? We have different people at each hearing. We also have some of the same, but never giving the same testimony. WE are the ones being affected. Now, who are WE?

We are the somewhere between 300 and 400,000 licensed firearms owners in this state. We are the ones who have a true grass roots movement. We are the ONLY ones who continue to call our state house (this has been said by several reps-we are the only ones still hounding them), WE are the voices they are hearing. When it all boils down, there are 3 groups in this state involved in this battle:

• Those of us lawful citizens who own firearms-lets say, 300,000 of us.
  • Those groups being funded to push a political agenda-maybe a few hundred of them, tops.
  • The other 99% of this state, who have absolutely no idea what the current laws are, who will never give it a second thought, and could honestly care less.

Thats where we stand. Its not a lost fight. In fact, it looks, for once, that we could win this. We maintained momentum. We aren't some well funded group. They actively engage us. Ours are the voices they still hear from. So, you can choose to move to another state. You can throw your hands up, call people here sheep, whatever, and wait for your "go time". You (meaning myself as well) can call each other names, chastise each other for showing up, or not showing up, call each other Fudds, or whatever. Or, you can call your reps and senators, speak to them, have a face to face meeting with them. Discuss the issues with them. Tell them how it will affect you. Because, they ARE listening.

On a side note, I am networking with one of the anti groups. I was approached, before they left, as they said that Jim Wallace's words really rung with them. This is our open door. There are certain groups we will never crack: MDA, Brady, Rosenthal's goons-but, a lot of the other organizations, think rationally. I am going to get them to agree to let me speak at a meeting. We actually DO have a lot of common ground-NONE of us wants gun violence in our communities. Its how we go about getting that, is the difference. But, I plan on explaining to them that additional gun laws will not solve problems. Mind you, they only consistently hear one side of the story-the media side. They are ignorant of the facts. Being aggressive with them doesn't help. Speaking to them, engaging with them, does. Myself, and two other members, yesterday, have started this process. Its something we should have tried sooner. It works. When anti comes up to ME, and tells ME that the two most impressive, and thought provoking testimonials, were from myself in Worcester, and Jim Wallace yesterday-thats a door that you simply do not close. You walk through it. I am planning on doing just that. Imagine if we can actually get some of them to understand-REALLY understand-how these laws simply will not work. If I can reach across the aisles, anyone can. Mind you, THEY came to ME-not the other way around. This showed hope. I will not let that opportunity slip.

Real good post. Thank you for taking the time to write that. It certainly made a lot of sense and gave me a bit of hope that maybe things won't be as bad as everyone is thinking it may be. I don't want to see people harmed by gun violence. I just want to go to the range, kill paper, clean my guns and/or putter with them. Over my lifetime I have collected a lot of guns And a lot of them are military/civilian versions. I donate when I can, I'm a member of goal and the NRA and contact my legislators when I feel it is necessary. In my situation that is the best I can do. Xcom you have a good idea. I don't know how to go about it, so who has some thoughts? Also there are many gun forums in this country. This could get big.....

To anyone having trouble reading-sorry, will try to edit the first post. When I tried to post, something went wrong, I got kicked out. Will try to edit. To everyone else, the premise is simply this. They are listening. Time and momentum are ours. Most have quit the fight. With the exception of us, and the money people. But, we easily outnumber them 10 to 1. Its important that you continue to contact your legislators though.

sent via carrier pigeon from a secret squirrel camp

It may not be a losing battle, but I don't see it as a winning battle either, unless the goal is changed. Not only are gun laws a bad idea and don't prevent crime, but the idea that they even could be a solution in the first place is the real problem. You have people honestly believing (and this isn't just with gun laws either) that by simply changing, adding, or removing certain laws, it will help prevent crime, and there is no need to even look at the reason and nature of crime in the first place.

We actually DO have a lot of common ground-NONE of us wants gun violence in our communities. Its how we go about getting that, is the difference. But, I plan on explaining to them that additional gun laws will not solve problems. Mind you, they only consistently hear one side of the story-the media side. They are ignorant of the facts. Being aggressive with them doesn't help. Speaking to them, engaging with them, does. Myself, and two other members, yesterday, have started this process. Its something we should have tried sooner. It works. When anti comes up to ME, and tells ME that the two most impressive, and thought provoking testimonials, were from myself in Worcester, and Jim Wallace yesterday-thats a door that you simply do not close. You walk through it. I am planning on doing just that. Imagine if we can actually get some of them to understand-REALLY understand-how these laws simply will not work.

Bingo. This is the right idea. It does only work when people (on both sides) are open minded enough to listen. Sadly I'm not sure there are enough of these people like you speak of here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree with you about the laws. Here is the hard, cold facts though: we will, quite simply, in this state, never be entirely rid of gun laws. Like it or not, thats the truth. We can change them, make them more friendly to us, but, they will always exist.

As to groups being open minded-agreed. However, I think, and this is based on personal experience, that the vast majority of these people are but pawns, and dont really understand the entirety of it. A fellow forum member spent almost 2 hours outside the hearing speaking with some of the religious folk-and got them to see our way. Not the leaders-they are, sad to say, paid mouthpieces. But, their followers are only getting a single story. Moms Demand Action are the same way. As are the handgun violence people. The leaders control through carefully crafted lies. But, when we reach across that aisle, show them who we REALLY are-not these gun crazy zealots that we are painted as-we make a connection. The fact that WE want to reduce violence, same as they do, literally takes the wind out of their sails. WE will never change the rabid ones. Same as there will always be some of us who absolutely refuse to speak with the other side. But, thats life. I plan to actually discuss this at the Stow gun violence hearing this Wednesday. Think about it. The committee knows who I am. I come up, and say that several of us have had great conversations with members of X group, and we all agree we all want to stop inner city gun violence. They understand that current laws arent being enforced. WE understand that. Thats BOTH SIDES AGREEING that we dont enforce CURRENT laws. Why would we expect you to enforce additional laws? No, we want criminals off the streets. Both sides agree to this. The solution isnt more laws. The solution is to actually punish criminals, instead of releasing them. Think how that would resonate to the committee.

I was reflecting on this too and glad that oldsoldier29 posted this.

I watched Naughton and Timilty throughout, but especially during Linsky. Their body language exuded overt disinterest and disdain.

Also those sniveling religious goons. They were all "Director" of this and that. They are making a living crying about the shit caused by children having children and six generations of welfare. These legislators aren't stupid. They know who is there as a job and who is there despite their job.

I was careful about making eye contact during my testimony. Timilty watched me the entire time. Naughton too to a lesser extent. Not saying my testimony was great, but they seemed glad to hear something different, delivered in three minutes, by someone not making any money by being there.

I also heard that the Holliston meeting with Naughton on Monday nite went pretty well from some guys at the range today.

so I feel a little better tonight

I Agree with you on this .
Every Pol I have talked to that's been honest with me , has told me the calls/ letters/ emails they have been getting are 100 to 1 for the 2A side.
Had they rammed these bills through 5-6 months ago they would have stood a better chance. But they didn't.
One of the questions I usually ask an anti or non is "Are you against all violence or is it just gun violence?"
The answer is "Of course all violence."
My next question is "Well why aren't you going after the lawmakers who are not doing anything about the violent repeat offenders who are stabbing young girls and beating preachers to death with hammers?"
There usually is no quick reply to that one and alot of blank stares.
I like to make people think.
I asked one guy if his wife and kids were on the side of the road broke down or with a flat tire, who would he have stop to check them out.
The gun toting NRA nut(As our lib friends like to call us) on the way home from church with his family ,or the guy out on early release for his 3rd violent sexual assault ?
The gun owner you say? Well then I guess we agree on who the real problem is , Don't we?

Just an update: the woman I networked with yesterday, got back to me. I am planning to meet with their board of 10 people, the weekend of October 5-6. They are out on the cape. I have had a few people ask if they could tag along. I do appreciate the offers, I honestly do. But, right now, I feel this is untested ground, and I dont want to step on toes. Donna, the one I am corresponding with, did say they invited an NRA member to speak, and he preached to them, and was downright hostile at times. Essentially, there was nothing accomplished. I do NOT want to go down that road. I dont want to be confrontational, nor do I want it. I am likely going to go this alone, or perhaps with penny pincher if she can afford the time (although I havent asked her yet, and this will likely be the first time she sees this). Having a woman with me, someone they can more readily associate with, would work well. I asked my fiance to come along too, and she said she would, but doesnt want to participate in the convo (I really dont blame her!!!). So, again, I DO appreciate all the people reaching out offering assistance, but, I feel its best, at this time, to either go it alone, or take along a woman as a bridge (after all, this is an all womens group).
Please, make these same efforts in your community. We all want the same thing. We just have different roads we want to take to get there. MOST people are actually rather sympathetic with us-its the politics that are polarizing us. Get beyond that. Dont preach politics. Speak to keeping violent offenders off the street. Correction: violent REPEAT offenders. They are NOT happy with that. At ALL. This is something we ALL agree on.

Good work and good luck!

Just an update: the woman I networked with yesterday, got back to me. I am planning to meet with their board of 10 people, the weekend of October 5-6. They are out on the cape. I have had a few people ask if they could tag along. I do appreciate the offers, I honestly do. But, right now, I feel this is untested ground, and I dont want to step on toes. Donna, the one I am corresponding with, did say they invited an NRA member to speak, and he preached to them, and was downright hostile at times. Essentially, there was nothing accomplished. I do NOT want to go down that road. I dont want to be confrontational, nor do I want it. I am likely going to go this alone, or perhaps with penny pincher if she can afford the time (although I havent asked her yet, and this will likely be the first time she sees this). Having a woman with me, someone they can more readily associate with, would work well. I asked my fiance to come along too, and she said she would, but doesnt want to participate in the convo (I really dont blame her!!!). So, again, I DO appreciate all the people reaching out offering assistance, but, I feel its best, at this time, to either go it alone, or take along a woman as a bridge (after all, this is an all womens group).
Please, make these same efforts in your community. We all want the same thing. We just have different roads we want to take to get there. MOST people are actually rather sympathetic with us-its the politics that are polarizing us. Get beyond that. Dont preach politics. Speak to keeping violent offenders off the street. Correction: violent REPEAT offenders. They are NOT happy with that. At ALL. This is something we ALL agree on.

Great post and a great effort. I spend a lot of time trying to talk to anti's as I think we need to dispel the media and political b.s. they hear all the time. Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts.

Great post, thanks! I think if we really want to change things, we need to 1. get even more spouses/friends into the sport and 2. have them contact their reps/senators, even once.

This has to be the best damn idea I've read on NES regarding the entire gun control hearings debate.

My first reaction was: "Yes! Infiltrate their ranks! Excellentttttt." [Montgomery Burns]

But no, we cannot look at it that way. That sounds plotting and spiteful. We really do want to educate the other side of what the facts are and what really happens when these types of laws are pushed through. It's in the best interest of both sides to lift the veil of lies that are used to push an agenda based on emotions.

Please keep us updated with how this pans out.

Thanks all for the positive comments. That was my intent. We have been emailing back & forth. They have a board meeting on the 28th, I am tentatively scheduled to speak with their board on the 5th of October. This could change, of course. But, it sounds like the board is actually excited to sit down and discuss this with someone. Its truly sad when we are all so polarized (and, I certainly include myself in this) that we lose sight of what is important. And, that is, that we are all on this world, together.

Back
Top Bottom