Another "First Mosin" thread!

Well, the bug bit. I ordered a Mosin from a reputable online dealer recently, and had it delivered in approximately three weeks. It's a hex receiver 1932 Tula Arsenal 91/30. ...And boy, it's exciting already, and I haven't even been out to shoot it yet! Pics coming as soon as I finish getting her all cleaned up.

First, a few questions..

1) Holy copper fouling, Batman! Brake cleaner and Hoppes either isn't doing the job, or I'm not patient enough. Anyone tried ammonia with good results? this website seems to swear by the stuff. Miraculously, the bore looks pretty damn clean, and I've hardly gotten any black out of it - even after a brushing.

2) Anyone have a more comprehensive guide to the various markings than what's available at 7.62x54r.net? This thing has got more markings and cartouches on it than I could have imagined. Not sure if this is usual or not, but damn - it's got a TON of markings.

3) I remember reading the answer to this (it may have been "call the ATF!") but can't seem to recall WHERE... When recording the serial # in my bound book, should I go with the # stamped on the barrel/bolt/magazine floorplate, or would they rather see the # that CAI so boldly emblazoned on the formerly-sexy hex receiver?

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics or better yet - let's get to LSA! All I can help you with is copper fouling. I used three things with great results. First, I used BreakFree Bore Foam. The stuff is a miracle. I shot this stuff up the barrel until it pops out through the muzzle. Then back out the tube a bit to fill the chamber. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and scrub. If that still does not do the trick, coat with a layer of Hoppes Benchrest, (not 9) and let sit - even overnight if you must, but usually 15 minutes to 1/2 hour works. The last think is LeadAway cut into patches, but keep it off the finish...Good luck!

MassMark said:
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics or better yet - let's get to LSA! All I can help you with is copper fouling. I used three things with great results. First, I used BreakFree Bore Foam. The stuff is a miracle. I shot this stuff up the barrel until it pops out through the muzzle. Then back out the tube a bit to fill the chamber. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and scrub. If that still does not do the trick, coat with a layer of Hoppes Benchrest, (not 9) and let sit - even overnight if you must, but usually 15 minutes to 1/2 hour works. The last think is LeadAway cut into patches, but keep it off the finish...Good luck!

I've got it soaking in Hoppe's Benchrest right now - I'll hit up the BoreFoam if that doesn't do the trick. I'll definitely get hold of you once this thing is all cleaned up so we can have a Berkshire County Mosin Day at LSA. [cheers]

USMA-82 said:
1. Try Butch's Bore Shine

2. Try here:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

3: Use the importer's serial number. Early in the game, they found out that many russian rifles had the same serial number - they needed a unique number for importation.

Enjoy!

Thanks for those - http://www.mosinnagant.net has a ton of info. I'm definitely going to have to spend some time looking through all the stamps and markings they have cataloged. And thanks for clarifying the serial number issue - makes sense. With millions of these things in circulation, and the repeating of serial numbers each year in some production runs, using the importer's # seems to be the best bet.

m44 said:
Congrats on your first mosin.

Thanks! I've got a loooong way to go to catch up with you, man! [smile]

Headed out now to hit the local shops and see if I can get someone to measure my firing pin protrusion. Turns out I got a little stiffed on the accompanying tool - it only has one notch, and looks like it was cast out of pig iron. Bassids. [wink] Will order one up today. ...Maybe a complete tool kit is a good reason to order another whole rifle? Hmmm.... [devil]

I got the exact same tool with just one notch. I was wondering if you can just use calipers to measure the protrusion. I don't know what the measurement is supposed to be, though.

Congrats on the new Mosin, I actually picked one up this weekend as well M44 1944 Tula. I can't wait to go to the range then the chiropractor :)

Congrats on the new Mosin, I actually picked one up this weekend as well M44 1944 Tula. I can't wait to go to the range then the chiropractor :)

I put my neck out last weekend shooting my M44.[smile] With my new supply of Bulgarian surplus, hitting clays at 100yds is too much fun.

Well, after many overnight soaks, I think I've got most of the copper out. I also took a 12ga brass brush attached to a drill and reamed out the chamber real good, so hopefully I have a nice clean foundation to start shooting with!

Worth noting, the hack job black paint that someone used to cover areas of worn bluing comes off easily with Hoppes #9.

Also worth noting, there are more marks and stamps on this thing than I would've thought possible - I'll have to get the corn starch out one of these days and try to catalog all of them.

Back
Top Bottom