Annual NES CAST BULLET SEMINAR 2017!

What date works for you?

• Total voters

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Official sign up and info thread

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...7-Cast-Bullet-Seminar-Official-Sign-Up-Thread

Alright guys and gals. I guess it's getting to that time of year and the planning needs to start!

Here is a link to what we did last year.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/316308-Official-NES-Cast-Bullets-Seminar

I think we're going to stick with the same format, but it will be at a new location. Most likely Fairhaven.
I will draw up a new outline to add to this opening post pertaining to costs and materials asap.

Please select which date works best for you.

Can anyone from the last seminars or anyone who currently is casting bullets chime in and let everyone else know how it has changed your life? Don't mention the addiction to lead and the late night creeping around parking lots looking for a wheel weight or two. Just the good stuff.

Anyone new to casting or skeptical about if it's for you or if it works or if you can shoot cast from your glock or your fancy comped gun, please ask away.
Cast bullets and their counterparts (hi-tek, powder coated, gas checked and paper patched) are capable of almost anything jacketed bullets are at a much lower cost.

Lead is a hazard to your health if you ingest it or breathe in lead oxides. That doesn't happen in a proper casting set up. Observe proper hygiene and you won't have an issue. No smoking, eating, drinking etc while handing lead and you won't have health concerns. Melting lead does not create lead fumes. You have to be in excess of 1000 degrees to produces fumes. We cast bullets around 650-750 degrees.
I have my lead tested every year and have never had an elevated level.

Now for the hook. I can reload 1000 rounds of common pistol ammo for $<50
My lead is alway free or such a low price I can't bother to calculate it.
If I had to pay for lead I would order online and get it for $1 per pound shipped to my door in clean ingots.
Roughly $18 worth of lead would make 1000 each 124 grain 9mm bullets
$32 for primers
1.6 cents for powder
6.6 cents per round for 9mm. $66 per 1000

That doesn't change much when you move up to 45 ACP or 10MM or 44 mag. Might be another penny or two in powder but the primer is the same and the lead is negligible.

So what does that mean? You can shoot more for your money. Who can afford to get good at shooting when it cost $100 a range trip? Casters can.

What about time? This must take forever to make bullets? That has to be the trade off?
I usually run 2 bullets moulds at a time. If I run a lee 6 cavity bullet mould and get a decent cadence I can drop bullets at least 4 times a minute. Thats 24 rounds per minute conservatively.
Match a bullet that drops to size with a decent tumble lube or a coating and you're shooting in no time.

Glock guys? No Problem. Once you learn that all you need to do is size the bullet right for the rifling you can shoot all the lead you want. Commercial ammo and bullets are usually too hard and too small. They cause leading which will blow up any gun if you don't pay attention. Polygonal rifling and other similar rifling had been around for a lot longer than a glock. That rifling started long before jacketed ammo and commercial bullets. No issues with the millions of rounds fired in the Metford rifling of Martini actions to date.

Rifle guys?
Harder alloy, gas check, coatings or the mother of all.... the paper patch.
qseTCVht.jpg

Jacketed was originally called Metal Patched.
I shot 50 something of these out of my Sharps last night. Bore is clean, no smoky mess. Accuracy was better than normal cast. Velocity isn't an issue.

Not to mention that you can size bullets, lead or paper patch to make your old milsurp with that oversized bore shoot like a dream again.

Where do I get supplies? What will it cost to get started?
We will cover all of that in the seminar and at the end of the day we get to take a trip to one of our local vendors Shooting Supply in Westport MA.
I'm going to ask Mark to put together a list of a basic budget casting set up so I can post a budget beginners price list here and show how fast it pays for itself.

We always have door prizes too. Some people walked away last year with a full casting set up but everyone walked away with the knowledge to make their own bullets.

So lets hear some questions and some feedback from past participants.
As always thank you to DUKEINFLORIDA, BOBJ, EDDIE COYLE and all of the other presenters at the original seminars. Without them I wouldn't be passing on this knowledge.

Last edited:
Location: Fairhaven, MA Exact address/directions to be provided via PM one week before the seminar

Door Prizes
We will be gathering some door prizes just like last year. I'll post some items as we get closer.

Required equipment for participation
Safety glasses or face shield
Work gloves
Close-toed Shoes/boots

Do not count on there being extra safety gear for you to borrow. There are several places within a 10 minute drive if you need to stop en route.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty. This is molten lead, after all.

Recommended to bring
Folding Chair
note taking materials/ clip board
Barrels, cylinders, and/or guns that you want to shoot cast boolits in** so we can slug the bore/cylinder throats
Long pants & sleeves

**please provide a heads up on this so we can have the appropriate sizes ready

Schedule
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
9:00 - 9:30 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time.
10:00 - Workshop begins
10:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 2:30 - Second Round of mini workshops
2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
4:00 - Wrap Up and departure (to Shooting Supply if you want to)

Shooting Supply is less than 10 minutes away and primarily stocks reloading and casting supplies while also being a full service FFL. Get the tools while all the info is fresh in your head!

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Fluxing
Smelting
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Common Problems and Solutions
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources
And more

Every attendee will get to participate in each of the above class topics but not necessarily in order. The groups will be assigned after registration. You will get a chance to cover each subject with the group leader in a more one on one and hands on way. Example: you might do session B first (in round 1) and then session A second (in round 2), and then session C last (in round three).

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Instructors:
Michael J. Spangler

Attendance Cap: 24

Participants are no longer required to bring your own lead.

$30 participation to be prepaid to Michael J. Spangler via paypal/cash/check/MO

THAT $30 GETS YOU...
Take-home reference material to use in future casting endeavors
whatever you cast during the seminar
Roughly 20#of smelted, ready to cast lead @ current market value (approx. $1/lb)
Food: coffee, donuts, smoked pulled pork sandwich, chips, drink, etc

Attendees: Let us know what caliber you are most interested in casting so we have enough molds ready. The intent here is to send everyone home with bullets they can shoot. We recommend to pick a caliber that is cast-bullet friendly. Some suggestions: 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 45-70... The theme here is older calibers. 9mm and .40 S&W are doable but not recommended as a first choice. If you have something in mind and aren't sure about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Other instructors are welcome. PM if interestered...
REMINDER Safety equipment

required for casting/smelting: glasses/goggles, face shield, long gloves (welding or fireplace) gloves, long pants, close toed shoes

Disclaimer: The goal of the attendance fee is to secure commitment from attendees, not to make a profit. We have more prep work to do with this format and when all is said and done we'll be lucky to break even.

Last edited:
I need to check with the lady friend before I vote for a date...she schedules things 5 years in advance somehow and it's my fault when I don't remember.

Her, 'i told you about this in January, 2016…'
Me, '...' :/

In for slugging my 1889 Schmidt Rubin so I can use it for black powder this year or next! I'll bring a couple buckets of wheel weights if you want!

I'm In, voted 28th as I'm traveling over those other dates for work.

Update, one of my Sons would like to attend to, so two of us please.

harry[smile]

Last edited:
Interested - 38/357 mostly but have 30 cal mold that I could use for an old sporterized 1903

Don't have anything other than two single cavity molds (429244 and 311467) and a Lyman 45 with dies and top punches to match the molds - Should I try to pick up a 38 mold to bring or wait for the "buy/sell/trade"?

Last edited:
Post if you're interested and I'll set you up on the list on the opening post. Once we get a little closer I'll set up PayPal

im in for my lead donation.... I have some wheel weights and some "mystery" lead its lead its just not a known alloy.

First donations are in.
A generous lurking member here donated 5 or 6 various sized cast iron pans for smelting and or ladle pouring.

Also Shooting Supply is working on list and cost of the basics you need to get into casting
If you go with
Lee bottom pour pot
2 cavity mould
sizer
tumble lube
You're into it for about $110

If you buy a ladle and use a cast iron pot and your mould drops at size that doesn't require a sizer then you can shave off about $60

I'm in for the 21st or 28th (voted for the 21st though). I'll bring some wheel weights...any in particular I should be looking out for? How to tell the difference between the lead and other materials?

I'd offer to pick up Mac's supply at the next Garand match, but just got my drill dates for the rest of the year and EVERY single friggen one coincides with a CMP match date. If my roommate Pat goes to any of the matches, I'll see if he's willing to pick up the wheel weights from Mac so I can bring them down to the seminar.

PLEASE, for the love of God...nobody vote for the 14th of October. I had to miss last years seminar because of drill and I've been anticipating this ever since! I still managed to send down some wheel weights with Ed last year though! :D

looking like the 28th might be the best. The owner of Shooting Supply will be gone on the 21st and I think it's better if we can get there when he's there. He has a ton of knowledge on the lee product line. If the 28th doesn't work we can do the 21st though.

NzuNOOml.jpg

Just cast some of these beauties last night.
Lyman 535 grain postal and a Hoch 550 grain mould. Both of which Goose let me borrow.
These run about .70 cents a pop through Buffalo Arms Co. They cost me a little time and some electricity. I doubt the whole batch cost me 70 cents.

Any lurkers out there with questions on casting?

Love to come, got nothing as far as supplies for casting, but definitely interested in the knowledge. Lady Radtekk has done pewter smelting so she may be interested also. I don't REALLY care about the date but I'm involved in a new software roll-out on 10/1 and may still be at work on the 14th. Yeah, straight through... If we do make it, 45ACP, 38/357, 44spcl/mag are all of interest.

Love to come, got nothing as far as supplies for casting, but definitely interested in the knowledge. Lady Radtekk has done pewter smelting so she may be interested also. I don't REALLY care about the date but I'm involved in a new software roll-out on 10/1 and may still be at work on the 14th. Yeah, straight through... If we do make it, 45ACP, 38/357, 44spcl/mag are all of interest.

Perfect I have moulds for all of those. I'm actually in between the shop and work today. making some 356-120TC and some RCBS 44-250K
The 356-120TC drops at .358 so it's good for 38 special too.

I am interested too, love to learn from a pro. Been casting round balls and it is a hoot so modern cal. would be great

Damn, I just spent $100 on bullets for my new s&w 500. I'm in so next time I can make my own and save some $$. Any day would work but the 28th is the best for me. Almost a 2 hour drive, anyone else from north central mass want to car pool?

I'm thinking the 28th will be best guys!!
I'll get some details fine tuned and I'll send out the payment info via PM

Looking forward to this.

In the meantime, I've been trying to slowly accumulate supplies here and there. As.far.as.the burner goes for melting range scrap, I came across a sale for turkey fryer type things today. It comes with what looks to be an aluminum pot which I'm guessing is no good, seems everyone uses cast iron. But aside from that, what size should I be looking at for the burner? Do they sell just the burner with no pot? Are any of these a decent deal or can I do better?

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/f/flash-sale-food-processing#bazaarRating:&facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:7&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:48&sequence:&facetName:&totalFacetCount:&facetSequence:&attributescount:&singlemulti

That should work fine.
Go stainless or cast on the pot. I will have some cast pots for door prizes at the seminar.

The important thing is high BTU and the adjustable gas regulator. You don't want it running full out all the time. You want lots of heat to get the melt started thenjust enough heat to keep everything liquid while you're making ingots.

This just in.
Donnie from Bayou Bullets has donated again this year.
We will have small sample packs of hi-tek coating for door prizes.
1 oz or so of powder will be enough to coat about 40 pounds of bullets with 3 thin coats. Which is probably overkill.
That's about 1800 158 grain bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

Official sign up and info thread

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/339228-2017-Cast-Bullet-Seminar-Official-Sign-Up-Thread

Traveling that weekend or I'd join for sure. Have fun! I sure did a year or two back.
Thanks man!

So this is the fun of casting.

Coated some 9mm and some 44 I had laying around.
Cast some cool "collar buttons" from a modified .457 RB mould I snagged on castboolits forum.
They weight about 163 grains and will be loaded in 45/70 cases with a pinch of bullseye.
j8pHQVAl.jpg

k7no5i9l.jpg

iIA0elll.jpg

Back
Top Bottom