Annoyed with Wally World

*CJK*

NES Member
I had a nice afternoon at the range, went through a few hundred rounds (well, probably more) with a few of my favorites. I decided on the way home to stop a Wally World to replenish my supplies. I was pleasantly surprised with the stock and prices, so a flagged down a clerk to help me out. I pulled out the ltc and the clerk said "Im going to need to see a drivers license". I said why, and he said "we need to make sure you're a mass resident". Wait, what? I refused and asked to speak to a manager, who basically said the same thing. What's up with this? I held my ground and she eventually gave in as she recognized me from past purchases. Will this ever end? Anyone know when this new policy went into effect?

I have had them ask me for my birth date on the occasion I might purchase ammo from them, but I don't recall being asked to provide my driver's license and in addition to showing my LTC.

Aside from you being asked, why did you take offense to being asked?

I pulled out the ltc and the clerk said "Im going to need to see a drivers license". I said why, and he said "we need to make sure you're a mass resident"

Huh? Isn't your LTC a "Resident" license? Meaning you live here...

I have had them ask me for my birth date on the occasion I might purchase ammo from them, but I don't recall being asked to provide my driver's license and in addition to showing my LTC.

Aside from you being asked, why did you take offense to being asked?
All they need to know is on a LTC. don’t put up with more BS.

Yep. The only thing I buy at Walmart anymore is my drawers...

iu

iu

[thumbsup]
Probably could not be bothered to figure out that you didn’t have a non-resident LTC?
Which would prohibit them from selling you ammo.

:emoji_tiger:

[thumbsup]
All they need to know is on a LTC. don’t put up with more BS.

Sounds like someone at Wally World fell under the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" syndrome.

The walmart I go to (nh) hands me the boxes and I go thru the checkout line. Rarely, if ever do I show id. I'm obviously over 18/21
Clerks probably don't know/care

But I got carded for fuel treatment yesterday!

I will try the self checkout next time. Weren't there last time I bought.

If it was the Walmart in Chicopee they ask for your drivers license. I was told that the Walmart employees have to go through a special training class with the Chicopee police to be authorized to sell ammo at the Chicopee Walmart. Only the employees that have attended this Chicopee police training are authorized by the Chicopee police to be able to sell ammo in Chicopee. Apparently they are being taught to ask for your LTC and drivers license. The last time I purchased ammo there they asked for my drivers license and my LTC. I used my MA Machine Gun License and they never took notice they just took it as a regular LTC. No big deal if they ask for your drivers license it doesn't bother me.

First mistake you made was buying ammo after you use up supplies.
To assure gou always have ammo. Once you think about going to the range go buy ammo. Buy 2x as much as your going to shoot.
To be fair to WM when i do buy ammo at walmart i generally go to the plymouth ma store. The lady thats usually there i pretty darn good and quick.
As when i buy ammo at walmart. Maybe 2 times a year.
Mostly cheap shotgun ammo or a odd cal if its cheap enough.
Ex i picked up 3 boxes of federal 257 roberts for $17.88 a box. The old man i know who has a 257 rifle was as happy as could be . Usually runs over $1 round

I don't understand the big whoop here. I recently bought some ammo at Walmart just because I was in the store for other things and figured why not. The lady at the counter asked for my drivers license and LTC, looked at them both for a few seconds and handed them back to me and then I bought my ammo. I would hardly call those few seconds as even an inconvenience.

I don't understand the big whoop here. I recently bought some ammo at Walmart just because I was in the store for other things and figured why not. The lady at the counter asked for my drivers license and LTC, looked at them both for a few seconds and handed them back to me and then I bought my ammo. I would hardly call those few seconds as even an inconvenience.

I just bought 800 rounds of 9MM at Wally World here in CT. The guy working the auto counter had the key and I showed him my permit (as required by CT state law). He laughed about trying to teach his wife to shoot and wished me better luck at the range. (4) boxes of Federal 115 Grn, 200 rounds per box; good enough for the range.

The only issue here in CT is finding the person with the key to the cabinet.

It makes more sense to me for a store to positively ID a customer for ammunition than it does for them to shake me down when I'm buying lighter fluid, Sudafed, spray paint, glue, etc

I've found that this usually happens because the cashiers need to input the age verification and they figure that the birthdate is most likely on the driver's license so that's what they ask for. The cashiers forget that the system will also ask for the LTC after the birthdate check so that's why they then ask for the LTC. They scan lots of stuff and most don't study the gun laws carefully.

I figure most cashiers forget that the LTC is going to be required. If you buy in the sporting goods section usually that clerk knows they can get the required age verification and LTC on just the LTC card alone so they kill two birds with the LTC alone.

I don't view this as some conspiracy, I think it's just lack of training and cashiers not knowing/forgetting that MA folks need state permission to buy copper and lead. Plus Was-Mart is used to selling in free states so they've probably shoe-horned a fix for places like MA.

lol it's walmart, that's like going to ratdonalds and complaining because you got extra pickles when you asked for none....the "service" bar is not exactly high there to begin with...

Word to the wise - the pickles on McDonald's burgers in upstate NY are not good. I've never experienced that before.

As far as Walmart, I've only bought ammo there about 5 times in 15-20 years. Last time was early in the .22 shortage. That's actually 2 of the 5. We had one refurb'd and another open brandy-new. I was there at 7am open for both to pick up .22. First time, there was a "line" of 3 people ahead of me. Second time I could have popped a squat in the sporting goods area and not a soul would have known. ????? (Neither time did I over-buy. I got what I thought I needed.)

It makes more sense to me for a store to positively ID a customer for ammunition than it does for them to shake me down when I'm buying lighter fluid, Sudafed, spray paint, glue, etc
There is no constitutionaly protected right to carry lighter fluid, Sudafed, spray paint, glue, or etc.

Word to the wise - the pickles on McDonald's burgers in upstate NY are not good. I've never experienced that before.

As far as Walmart, I've only bought ammo there about 5 times in 15-20 years. Last time was early in the .22 shortage. That's actually 2 of the 5. We had one refurb'd and another open brandy-new. I was there at 7am open for both to pick up .22. First time, there was a "line" of 3 people ahead of me. Second time I could have popped a squat in the sporting goods area and not a soul would have known. ????? (Neither time did I over-buy. I got what I thought I needed.)

be careful you might give the shoppers at Worcester walmart ideas.... zoo.

There is no constitutionaly protected right to carry lighter fluid, Sudafed, spray paint, glue, or etc.

Quite true, touché, etc. but if they let anyone walk into the Walmarts near me and buy ammo without any ID there'd never be a round of any kind on the shelves. Lotta sh*tbags in inner cities, just saying

Back
Top Bottom