An interesting discussion on 'The High Road'

THR tends to have a lot of these types of discussions and some widely varying (not to mention passionate) responses. This is not an easy scenario, especially for someone who has not practised it or tried to "role-play" such a situation.

Who is the shooter?

How many shooters are there?

Can you get close enough to get a good shot?

Will any responding officers know that you are the good guy?

Do your co-workers know that you (the resident "gun-nut") are in fact protecting them?

Lots more questions to think about I am sure.

I seldom post there

as it usually gets slammed.

One of the things I wanted to say to those who said you should only defend your own life or that of your family is that some of us have sat next to the same people nine or ten hours a day for many years. They too are part of my family and I would never forgive myself if I failed to do what I could to protect them under certain circumstances

I have thought about this and I think that everyone has the right to protect him or herself and if they choose not to then why should I risk my life and my family's future to protect them.

That being said I would defend myself and those in my immediate area while assisting them out of the conflict. Although if I am in the same room or immediate area of the shooter then I will take that as a threat to my life and shoot.

Of course real life could be different.

Everyone has gone to a lot of trouble to disarm me. If they wanted me to come to their defense they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of disarming me in the first place. They knew the risks and made a decision.

I would not make that assumption everywhere, but at some point you have stop taking on other people's problems. Escaping and coming back in addition to the other risks mentioned is too much.

Last edited:
I've worked with some of the same people for 27 years. If I had to go to my car to get my gun, when I got there I'd keep going. If I can get out, my co-workers can too. If there are people that can't get out, by the time I go out and get my gun and come back in, they'd be beyond help anyway.

I work for a huge company and the entire property is a gun free zone - including the parking lot. Some might say that it would be wise to ignore that policy, carry a gun, and take the risk of being fired. The only way they'd find such a hypothetical gun was if one had to use it to saves one's life. At least you'd be alive to get fired.

As MagnumMike said, Everybody makes a choice as to how (and whether) they protect themselves. I'd protect myself and my family only.

This is one of those stomach turning scenarios in which you *might* be able to help, but you are probaby in a whole lot of legal trouble if you do.

I would probably use firearm to protect self, and probably *immediate* vicinity, but wouldn't go hunt the guy down. Then I'd feel shitty for the rest of my life, but thankful that I was alive and my family still had a house.

The way that is laid out, unless my wife or kids were in there, I'd be driving home to them safely and turn on the news.

If the situation was a bit different, say the gunman in my view or proximity and my gun on me, I'd have a hard time simply running out the door if there was something I could do to help. At least I'd like to think I would. But then again, my ccw is no sniper rifle, so I'd likely have to be in some (or put myself in) real harm's way in order to be sure I could realistically neutralize anyone.

that's what I'm talking about

The way that is laid out, unless my wife or kids were in there, I'd be driving home to them safely and turn on the news.

If the situation was a bit different, say the gunman in my view or proximity and my gun on me, I'd have a hard time simply running out the door if there was something I could do to help. At least I'd like to think I would. But then again, my ccw is no sniper rifle, so I'd likely have to be in some (or put myself in) real harm's way in order to be sure I could realistically neutralize anyone.

I have no clue as to how I would react. Hope to never have to find out

Interesting discussion, to which I will add one warning and one story.

Warning: in any "hot" situation to which a PD response is in progress, being visible with a gun in one's hand presents a very high risk of being taken by the PD for the bad guy and disposed of accordingly. If you do draw and fire, be sure to get the gun holstered and under cover as soon as conditions warrant (possibly even sooner than a tactical course would recommend).

Story (short version): there once was a Dobermann that had apparently gotten loose in my neighborhood. When I first saw it, it was coming around my garage and steaming at a full bell in my direction, dragging a leash and with its mouth open and 140,000 sharp shiny teeth showing. Looked hungry. Did not look friendly.

I drew my revolver, cocked it, and prepared to stuff one down the dog's throat.

Next thing I heard was a scream from my (then) 'cross-the-street neighbor. Rob was a typical Cantabrigian liberal, and I concluded (correctly, as it later turned out) that his angst was not triggered by the horror of my impending situation as the dog's desired meal, but rather at having to be face to face with a "real gun." (Later: "You mean you carry a gun, all the time; a real gun?" "Well, duh, what's the point of carrying a fake one?")

Rob's scream attracted the dog's attention. Apparently his hungry canine mind was still capable of divining that Rob, a chubby little thing, would be a far better meal than yours truly, so the dog changed course and headed across the street.

Now Rob is really screaming.

In a move that surprised even me at the time, I holstered the revolver and went in the house.

Although the 140,000 estimate may be a bit exaggerated (though that's what it looked like at the time), true story.

I used to enjoy reading those "what if" scenarios on THR. Not anymore. Seems everyone is a super hero. I especially like the ones who say they are carrying a KelTec and a Black Widow, and they would take on the BG.

When the adrenaline is flowing, and if someone is determined to do a grievous deed, you better have more than a pee shooter to "take him on."

Even then, armed with the biggest and baddest gun, you'll never know what you'll do until you're in that situation.

I've known many a man who instinctively ran toward the sound of gunfire, and I know more who hide in the corner. I've seen people that crave the rush of combat, and those that cry like babies if they even think they are going to be in harms way.

What would those people on THR do? I think most of them are full of BS, and would be shaking in the corner.

BTW, I only saw two or three posts there, from guys like Corriea and Biker (a combat vet) whose opinion means anything to me. The others are newbie wannabees, which is why I don't go to THR much anymore.

That's one reason why I too don't go there too much anymore unless I'm looking for specific things. I've seen the same damn threads over and over and over. They always, without exception, end up the same way. The mods over there must have a metric f***ton of patience to put up with that stuff.

I honestly have no idea what I'd do - but since I work in a victim disarmament zone, if I could get out, I would, and not go back in.

That said... when my neighbor's house was on fire, I was at the front door pounding and trying to see if I could wake them. I didn't even think about NOT running up to the burning house, I simply did it. (I did stop myself from trying to get in there, but that was because I know what opening a damper does to a fire... and I could see enough smoke in there that I was sure that all I would do would be add another body to the hypothetical body count.)

So... if I DID have a gun on me, I still can't say what I'd do. Certainly all the doom and gloom on this board about how the BG's family will own my house, etc, will be weighing on my mind. Guess it depends on how much I like my coworkers. And if the BG is in my way as I head for the door.

Entirely depends on the situation. If I only had my J-frame in the car, I'd probably run. If I had a rifle or large handgun, I would very possibly head back in. But I don't think there's any absolute answer to a hypothetical like that.

I have no idea how I would react given that situation, nor am I sure how I would deal with a Zombie attack. :)

As for the “The High Road” forum, I think it’s has a large number of very knowledgeable posters with experience in a wide area of the gun culture. It is a great source for general shooting information and its moderators control the forum with a strong but fair hand. Although not perfect, I see “The High Road” as an example of what a good gun forum could be.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have no idea how I would react given that situation, nor am I sure how I would deal with a Zombie attack. :)

As for the “The High Road” forum, I think it’s has a large number of very knowledgeable posters with experience in a wide area of the gun culture. It is a great source for general shooting information and its moderators control the forum with a strong but fair hand. Although not perfect, I see “The High Road” as an example of what a good gun forum could be.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I agree. However, I tend to stay out of the "Social Situations" threads and stay with "Tools and Technologies" and the reloading threads. You can only read so many "What caliber for FILL IN THE THREAT" threads before you want to give away your computer.

Last edited:
I agree. However, I tend to stay out of the "Social Situations" threads…---EddieCoyle
They tend to be threads that are really asking “are you a man” or “are you a good person” much like the thread that started this thread.

"What caliber for FILL IN THE THREAT threads…---EddieCoyle
And besides everybody knows that near miss with a 50 cal will suck your brains out of your ear.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Agree on THR, I find it a very good forum with a lot of great information (after all, it is how I found this place). Like others have said, I try to avoid the Socail Situations and the like. I tend to gravitate to the shotguns (LOT of GREAT info there) and revolvers threads.

As to the original question (cliche warning) I don't know exactly what I'd do in that situation.
What I THINK I'd do - is get out and stay out. I'd remain by my car and if the BG came out and then presented me with a threat, I'd deal with it. But no way (especially in this state) would I go back in looking for him, as I'm sure I'd have a jury full of moonbats ready to send me to prison.
Once I'm clear of the building, I'm no longer in danger for my life, so going back in gives me the label of "vigilante", "aggressor", etc. Plus, how are the cops supposed to know I'm not the BG? How is anyone else supposed to know I'm a good guy? I probably left my cape in my desk when I ran out, so no one will know that I'm actually a superhero.
Besides, if I can escape and arm myself, so can everyone else. Maybe now the survivors will start asking me "how do I get a LTC" instead of "why do you need a gun?"

Really bad thought - I'm low man on the totem pole here, this is a promotion opportunity. (forgive me for that one)

Next thing I heard was a scream from my (then) 'cross-the-street neighbor. Rob was a typical Cantabrigian liberal, and I concluded (correctly, as it later turned out) that his angst was not triggered by the horror of my impending situation as the dog's desired meal, but rather at having to be face to face with a "real gun." (Later: "You mean you carry a gun, all the time; a real gun?" "Well, duh, what's the point of carrying a fake one?")

Rob's scream attracted the dog's attention. Apparently his hungry canine mind was still capable of divining that Rob, a chubby little thing, would be a far better meal than yours truly, so the dog changed course and headed across the street.

Now Rob is really screaming.

In a move that surprised even me at the time, I holstered the revolver and went in the house.

[smile] [rofl]. [smile] [rofl]

disarming

Everyone has gone to a lot of trouble to disarm me. If they wanted me to come to their defense they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of disarming me in the first place. They knew the risks and made a decision.

Here Here! Aplaud.!!! How true.

[wink]

guncontrolworks2tv7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes a certain mentality to use a firearm in defense, whether for yourself or for an important being in your life. If your allready thinking about the consequences you've allready paused enough to determine what you would do. Under stress there is no thought. Only practice, repitition and a big shit in your pants.

Other wise if you have the balls, blow him away... Atleast you know if all that shooting paid off.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom