• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo?

Does anyone know of any cheap/inexpensive places to get mil surplus ammo. I'm looking for non magnetic, non corosive .30-'06 M2 Ball. Preferably in ammo cans or spam cans and not in clips. It's for a Springfield M1903. I don't mind purchasing quantity to get a good price.

If you know of online places that will ship to MA, PM me, otherwise only post local places.

The CMP has good ammo at good prices and they ship to MA.
There is also some Greek ammo in sealed cans at Zero Hour in Easton for sale.

The last time I checked the CMP had all magnetic ammo. I'll have to check out Zero Hour and see what their prices are... thanks.

News to me and I've bought 2 cases of the stuff. Other than AP, I've never heard of "magnetic" (presumably steel jacketed) US '06, certainly not the Lake City M2 Ball the CMP sells.

News to me and I've bought 2 cases of the stuff. Other than AP, I've never heard of "magnetic" (presumably steel jacketed) US '06, certainly not the Lake City M2 Ball the CMP sells.

Copied from the CMP site...

Greek .30-06 Ammo HXP (Pyrkal) manuf/boxer primed-480 rds/cs
Greek .30-06 ammunition. HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Boxer
primed. 480 rounds per case. Packaged in 20 round cartons,
12 cartons per spam can. 2 spam cans per wooden case.
Weight of case 41 lbs. Price is $100.00 per case, $17.00
S&H per case. S&H to Alaska or Hawaii is $45.95 effective
4-20-06.
THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET.

M2 Ball-Surplus 30.06 Lake Cty 960 rds/cs
This ammunition is packaged 20 rounds per box, 12 boxes per
can, 4 cans per case (960 rounds per case). Cases we have
opened have all been LC-62 to 72. Sales are by case
lot only. $192.00 per case + $38.00 S&H per case in the
continental US - S&H to Alaska and Hawaii is $85.00 -
effective 4-20-06
The bullet attracts a magnet. Ammo is delinked M2 ball.
NON-CORROSIVE

What is the problem if this ammo attracts a magnet ? ALL the surplus from the CMP is magnetic.

The only ammo that isn't is the new production stuff:

30-06 Federal 150 GR FMJ 500 Rd/cs
$240.00/case
Shipping & Handling $16.57 per case in the continental US.
Please call for shipping and handling charges to Alaska or
Hawaii.

This ammunition is copper coated and does not attract a
magnet.

Last edited:
Learn something new every day (if you are fortunate). I just checked my LC M2 ammo and it, indeed, attracts a magnet. Moreover, it appears to do so the full exposed length of the bullet, unlike an SS109/M855 bullet.

I'm guessing there is a mild steel jacket under the copper, like the Barnaul bullets. Odd, it looks like a drawn copper jacket, as opposed to the plating on the Barnaul.

There is nothing on the packaging itself indicating any steel content, still less AP capability, so it can't serve much of a tactical purpose.

So will it screw up my Garand BBL in any way over time ?

I find it hard to believe that a military-contract load would damage a military-issue gun. I doubt the rifling will cut through the copper to reach the steel jacket (especially as I find the Barnaul heavy-plating bullets very cost-effective for loading my .223 ammo).

I find it hard to believe that a military-contract load would damage a military-issue gun. I doubt the rifling will cut through the copper to reach the steel jacket (especially as I find the Barnaul heavy-plating bullets very cost-effective for loading my .223 ammo).

With the shallow rifling found in US military rifles... I don't think the barrel will see steel.

Back
Top Bottom