Ammo storage?

Just oen quick and maybe even stupid question:

Can you store your Firearms as well as ammo in the same safe?? I was told you could not...Just want to get clarification.

Thanks,

Richie

Yes you can. You can also transport loaded mags in MA (Not true in all states).

NO MGL addresses this as a prohibited practice, thus it is legal.

lens...can u store guns and ammo in the same safe if the gun has no trigger/cable lock on it? from what i understand in order for it to be considered "safe" the guns must be either locked up seperately from the ammo or have trigger locks on them, or the ammo locked in ammo cans...if its true you can store the ammo and weapon together then why does everyone say transport ammo and weapon seperately???

I thought that in MA there is not a legal requirement to store ammo in a separate locked container. It is just a recommended safety practice for additional security.

hminsky has it right.

Lots of folks say all sorts of stuff, doesn't mean that there is any law to that effect.

Guns have to be disabled (removal of parts does NOT count) when stored (trigger lock, action lock, safe, locked cabinet, locked closet . . . pick one).

MGLs does not require that ammo be locked up in any way. HOWEVER, CMRs issued by the State Fire Marshall DOES require all ammo to be locked up at all times. [Do a Search here and you should find exact wording, etc.] Again, no mention of "separation" of ammo from guns.

Legal to store guns and the ammo for them in a safe at home? Sure it is!

Just remember to lock the safe when it is no longer within your control or the control of a properly licensed person.

Darius

How about loaded with one in the pipe, but still locked in that same safe? I ask this not to "push the envelope", but it seems ridiculous to have your home defense gun within your grasp (say under your bed or in your nightstand), but then have to slap a mag in it and rack the slide. Seconds count in a home invasion... I assume as long as the gun is locked up in the aforementioned safe, I'm "compliant"?

There's nothing illegal about it, but I'd caution against it. Extremely few people can wake from a sound sleep, evaluate the situation and take action that quickly. I'd strongly suggest that you either have it in a locked container that forces you to be completely awake to open, at least a couple of steps from your bed so that you've got to stand up and walk to it, or unloaded. Keeping it loaded and within easy reach from your bed can lead to more problems than it could ever solve. More than one person has been awakened from a bad dream by the sound of the gun they capped off in their sleep. I know one case personally (not me). I keep mine within reach, unloaded and with the safety on. I can wipe off the safety, insert a mag and rack the slide in about 2-3 seconds if I'm awake. That's the only way I ever want to be holding a loaded gun.

Ken

Ken,

Good advice well received. I may have not been clear in my original post, but in the scenario I described, the gun IS in a locked safe which requires a multiple digit code to be entered, which could not be opened by a sleeping person. I think we all have a streak in our subconcious (sp?) that can cause nightmares/sleepwalking/sleepactions and I also believe that taking steps to avoid "subconcious" gun-handling is well worthwhile. I'd just feel better knowing that the gun is at least as ready as I am.

Fooped said:
How about loaded with one in the pipe, but still locked in that same safe? I ask this not to "push the envelope", but it seems ridiculous to have your home defense gun within your grasp (say under your bed or in your nightstand), but then have to slap a mag in it and rack the slide. Seconds count in a home invasion... I assume as long as the gun is locked up in the aforementioned safe, I'm "compliant"?

In MA, assuming you have the necessary firearms license, this is completely legal, so long as you remember to lock the safe whenever you keep your gun inside it.

Back
Top Bottom