• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage

greencobra

NES Member
With all the years I've spent shooting, I've never even thought about locking up my ammo. For some reason I think it might be wise to now but I don't want to put it in the safe. Thinking about one of those cheap metal filing cabinets from the office supply place. You know, just make it harder for someone but not Ft. Knox type security. Do you all lock ammo away or just keep it out? Just interested in your opinions is all.

Massachusetts requires it be locked up. So, yes, I do. I use a locking cabinet. You can maybe search to find the thread I made about how to store ammo. There is a link to what I use in there, as well as many good ideas from other folks.

If you cruise on craigslist you can either find a filing cabinet for very little or even free sometimes. Most of them are pretty heavy duty and actually work quite well.

Forum Running

I use the locking file cabinet as well. I sometimes grab boxes that the ammo ships/packs in at the GS as most of those cabinets have slight ridges in the bottom. Most of the boxed ammo I get wont sit flat and the boxes help organize and even it all out.

I think I'm going to grab an ammo can and sprinkle rounds all over my house just to enjoy freedom a little more tonight. I think every time a thread like this is created god kills a kitten for MA law stupidity.

I have an old trunk that I used while in college. Slap a stupid combo lock on it and I'm good to go. Holds a butt ton of ammo.

As Emoto said, MA fire regulations (527 CMR 13) require all ammunition and ammunition components to be "stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

Accordingly, I use a locking file cabinet.

stored in original containers and such containers...

What do they mean by original containers? Seems like they are saying that if you store your EDC in the safe, you have to unload the magazines and pop all the ammo back into the carton box it came in.

What do they mean by original containers? Seems like they are saying that if you store your EDC in the safe, you have to unload the magazines and pop all the ammo back into the carton box it came in.

Don't try to apply logic to the law...it won't work out well.

Either choose to follow the law to the letter or apply some interpretation to it (whether your own or another's) and go from there. IMO, worrying about unloading magazines is pretty ridiculous. According to the law, how am I supposed to store reloaded ammo?

According to the law, how are you supposed to store your brass, bullets, etc?

Given the level of knowledge about gun laws that the average LEO has, if stuff is locked up, then it seems unlikely that they will hose you for the original container clause.

I use the shipping crates that milsurp ammo comes in(IE 2 spam cans of 7.62x 54r). My local gun shop saves them for me after selling the spam cans and they are free.I hinge the tops and pad lock them(have keyed alike set of pad locks). They stack up nicely and I consider them original cantainers,

I think I'm going to grab an ammo can and sprinkle rounds all over my house just to enjoy freedom a little more tonight. I think every time a thread like this is created god kills a kitten for MA law stupidity.

At first I thought you were posting from a free state - but come on, CT really? It's not that much better than MA when it comes to stupid laws. Some laws are even worse like your ban on online body armor orders, or your waiting period when buying a long gun. Man we are in the same boat when it comes to law stupidity.

At first I thought you were posting from a free state - but come on, CT really? It's not that much better than MA when it comes to stupid laws. Some laws are even worse like your ban on online body armor orders, or your waiting period when buying a long gun. Man we are in the same boat when it comes to law stupidity.

Outside of their AK ban and their select fire gayness, CT is considerably better than MA is, especially with regard to basic ownership rights and issuance of handgun licenses. There are really no licensing fiefdoms in CT, and even if you run into one, you can wallhack it through an appeals process that usually falls in favor of issuing you a license. (BTW once you have a license, there is no waiting period for any purchase. )

There is no AG/EOPS shit on dealer sales of handguns in CT.

There is no "online ammo and component vendor blockade" going into CT.

You can own normal mags and suppressors in CT, as well. (their AWB has no mag ban)

CT also DOES NOT have all that safe storage garbage we have in MA. (that numerous gun owners in MA get bagged on every year)

Open carry, while not advised, is far more protected there. (no "suitability" issues).

It's still a commie state but if I lived on the southern border I would probably hop over it in that direction.

-Mike

Last edited:
They do actually, but it's scoped to only apply when kids are in the house.

Yes, there are a few states that do that (although, usually the applicability of the child protection laws are only contingent upon something bad happening) but when you think about it, it's still far less onerous than the standard is in MA.

-Mike

for the milsurp ammo cans I purchased ammo can lock kits from oldsargesdropzone out of NY. I also hinge and hasp the ammo crates. 75% of my ammo is in a heavy duty file cab I found for free next to a dumpster with keys! Its heavy. If you need a lock or would feel better with something a bit more stout on your file cab. Homedepot has a lock kit for file cabs. runs down entire side of cab....I also buy factory secound blanket chest from the pine store.....good for about any type of storage.

For the most part as far as thiefs go......they aint gonna take your ammo. If they are there to target your firearms chances are they can get into most safes and get your guns. your standard B&E will happen in the daytime and will do the smash and grab and go.....long before the cops or alarm system will get attention.
I laughed when the alarm guy asked who we should call next if no answer at the monitored phone......ahhh the cops was my reply.? He really wanted a 2nd number such as in laws......why? dunno.

OC is technically considered ammo in mass, right?

Only relative to Chapter 140, sections 122 to 131P, inclusive.

So it should be locked up as well?

No. Pursuant to, and for the purposes of, 527 CMR 13, "ammunition" is defined as:

Ammunition, small-arms, any cartridge or shell for use in a pistol, rifle or shotgun, and shall include ball, shot or blank cartridges or shells.

I got one of those $99 stack on gun safes and use it for ammo. I had to add more shelves but it did the job.
I think you mean Stack-On Gun Cabinets. I have a few Stack-On Safe's, but I have a boat load of Cabinets. They go on sale @ Dick's every so often. I use some of them for Ammo Storage, I just build shelves in them out of 2x10 spruce. Holds a ton of ammo.

I was told that you can't buy body armor in Conn, if that's true, that seems pretty messed up to me.

Not true. The law dictates direct sale only there, they more or less have banned mail order though, which is gay.

-Mike

As Emoto said, MA fire regulations (527 CMR 13) require all ammunition and ammunition components to be "stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

Accordingly, I use a locking file cabinet.

So would a 50 cal ammo can from Ammolock suffice?

Back
Top Bottom