Ammo storage

IMO, yes.

The reason I ask (as I'm sure you summize) the phrase-elogy doesn't specifically state: "locked can"

"stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

With respect to traveling (in a car) with a firearm and ammo, I almost sense that (though not required) it wouldnt be the
dumbest idea to have 2 locked containers (in the locked trunk) - one for the firearm and another for the ammo.

Thanks Kevlar ... you provide awesome (detailed oriented) feedback. I'm just getting started and have more than life
experience to know that the everything can go wrong, quickly, even if you consider yourself to paying attention to even the
smallest details.

With all the years I've spent shooting, I've never even thought about locking up my ammo. For some reason I think it might be wise to now but I don't want to put it in the safe. Thinking about one of those cheap metal filing cabinets from the office supply place. You know, just make it harder for someone but not Ft. Knox type security. Do you all lock ammo away or just keep it out? Just interested in your opinions is all.

I just put a locking door knob on my ammo closet. I am starting to accumulate a lot of SD round$$$ and starting to buy ammo by the case. Wanted to at least lock it to keep the casual snooper out. Definitely not as secure as a safe, but better than an unlocked closet. I considered a locking filing cabinet but was already using the closet. The closet has more room and the door knob was lot less hassle dragging a filing cabinet into the house and finding a place for it.

CT also DOES NOT have all that safe storage garbage we have in MA. (that numerous gun owners in MA get bagged on every year)

-Mike

How the hell do you get yourself bagged for not locking a firearm in a safe? I would think, that you would have to have a surprise visit from someone who knows the law and can enforce it. Then they would have to look around for loaded firearms that were not under your direct control.

How the hell do you get yourself bagged for not locking a firearm in a safe? I would think, that you would have to have a surprise visit from someone who knows the law and can enforce it. Then they would have to look around for loaded firearms that were not under your direct control.

You mean besides the cops showing up for something else and then lying?

Think exigent circumstances. There is laundry list of reasons a LEO can be in your house for some reason or another you probably haven't thought of.

In MA, does spent brass qualify as an ammunition component that needs to be locked up as well? If so, that seem incredibly stupid to me.

With all the years I've spent shooting, I've never even thought about locking up my ammo. For some reason I think it might be wise to now but I don't want to put it in the safe. Thinking about one of those cheap metal filing cabinets from the office supply place. You know, just make it harder for someone but not Ft. Knox type security. Do you all lock ammo away or just keep it out? Just interested in your opinions is all.

If you live in MA, you need to lock it up to comply with the law.

Here's what I do with mine. Any commonly used caliber gets put in an air-tight ammo can so it's easier to carry around and lasts longer (I buy in bulk, at least 1k rounds per caliber). I also keep expensive accessories like bipods, scopes etc in there. It's a cheap Office Max tall filing cabinet that locks. I could easily break into it with a pry-bar but it'd take some time and be loud. A sledgehammer would be able to break off the handle. But most burglars will only carry a screwdriver if anything. For me, it's just a barrier of having kids/friends/unwanted people to get in and screw around.

IMG_0638.jpg

In MA, does spent brass qualify as an ammunition component that needs to be locked up as well? If so, that seem incredibly stupid to me.

Put it this way... If I (NH resident, No MA LTC) travel into MA, I am most likely a rolling felon. I am quite sure if you dig around enough there has to be a few spent casings rolling around under the seats.

That being said. I'd say yes.

And yes, it is incredibly stupid.

Then again, it also depends on the LEO you are dealing with on weather or not he/she wants to go after you on it. (My opinion, more suck).

In MA, does spent brass qualify as an ammunition component that needs to be locked up as well?

Yes...

MGL 140-121 said:
“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

...that seems incredibly stupid...

Yes.

Think exigent circumstances. There is laundry list of reasons a LEO can be in your house for some reason or another you probably haven't thought of.

No, there is no reason for a LEO to be in your house, without a warrant, anything they knock on your door for can be dealt.with on the porch......

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

No, there is no reason for a LEO to be in your house, without a warrant, anything they knock on your door for can be dealt.with on the porch......

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I agree with your statement. . . But a close friend of mine had LEO enter his house and search all of his shit. Because his father (95+yr old man) had an issue that required medical attention. well low and behold the LEO searched his whole house and found all sorts of "things" that they were not happy with (level IV chest plate / Helmet) supposedly its an issue to own them....

Back on topic, I keep my ammo in one of the rubber made hinged plastic trunks, small master lock and desicant gel packs. slid nicely under the bed and no one knows its there.

I'm not talking about what you and I believe are the right reasons for a LEO to be in your house, I'm talking about "what can actually happen"... and there is a big difference between the two. My point is that you can end up with cops in your house when you don't necessarily want them there, though no intended fault/desire of your own.

-Mike

I'm not talking about what you and I believe are the right reasons for a LEO to be in your house, I'm talking about "what can actually happen"... and there is a big difference between the two. My point is that you can end up with cops in your house when you don't necessarily want them there, though no intended fault/desire of your own.

-Mike

Exactly!

I keep my ammo in one of the rubber made hinged plastic trunks, small master lock and desicant gel packs. slid nicely under the bed and no one knows its there.

I have a similar setup. I bought several large plastic tool boxes that have little tabs for small locks. Works well and they're pretty sturdy. When I get to the point that I can't fit much more ammo in them, I know it's time to go shooting. [wink] (Can you tell I'm woefully unprepared for any type of SHTF situation, ammo-wise?)

I have a similar setup. I bought several large plastic tool boxes that have little tabs for small locks. Works well and they're pretty sturdy. When I get to the point that I can't fit much more ammo in them, I know it's time to go shooting. [wink] (Can you tell I'm woefully unprepared for any type of SHTF situation, ammo-wise?)

Same here. These hold a surprising amount of ammo, have an O ring seal to keep water out, and a padlock hole on each latch. I looked a quite a few of them, and most only had a padlock ring on the front, making it easy to open one side and reach in for a bullet or two. When locked on both sides, these are impossible to get into without a set of tools and super cheap to boot. Heavy as a mother when fully loaded, though!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-FatMax-23-Toolbox/14146170

-Mike

He didn't read the thread about the person that called in a suspicious person in front of the house and broke a window to create the pre-text for the cops to enter and check the house without a warrant.

A more likely scenario is a fire or break-in when you aren't there, and PD/FD go in to make sure the house is safe/clear. Am I the only person who isn't peeking out the front window 24/7 and actually leaves the house sometimes?

On-topic: does anyone know of a company making good quality, relatively inexpensive metal cabinets with good locking mechanisms? So far, it seems like cheap crap, or very expensive, but not much in between. The sturdiest I've seen so far for under $200 is a Ridgid tool crib, which isn't exactly what I want. But all the Craftsman/Gladiator cabinets are expensive and lacking actual security, with cheap safes lacking space and organization.

I have a closet for "SHTF" situations lol

Same here. These hold a surprising amount of ammo, have an O ring seal to keep water out, and a padlock hole on each latch. I looked a quite a few of them, and most only had a padlock ring on the front, making it easy to open one side and reach in for a bullet or two. When locked on both sides, these are impossible to get into without a set of tools and super cheap to boot. Heavy as a mother when fully loaded, though!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-FatMax-23-Toolbox/14146170

These are the ones I have (3 total) but mine are black, looks like they got fancy on the colors since I got mine

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Set-of-2/11014791

I looked at those, and liked the size, but the location of the padlock hole concerned me. When I pressed the plastic together where the padlock would be, I could still lift up the lid from the side and get my hand inside. And my kids have much smaller hands than me!

I looked at those, and liked the size, but the location of the padlock hole concerned me. When I pressed the plastic together where the padlock would be, I could still lift up the lid from the side and get my hand inside. And my kids have much smaller hands than me!

I don't have kids. . . and if for luck I found someone in my house uninvited, They would most likely become a cellar dwellar

i have mine locked up in army footlockers...they could be cut open in seconds but it passes as far as MA is concerned.

If i put a combination lock on my gun room door would that pass?

If i put a combination lock on my gun room door would that pass?

I'd say this falls into the same category as your house being locked. Once someone is in your house, your house isn't secure. Once someone gets into your storage room, your ammo isn't locked. IANAL, but I'd say if someone wanted to jam you up they could.

Personally, I have two levels of concern. The first is legal compliance for items I want readily available. The second is a truly secure/deterrent storage solution for ammunition. While its easy to comply with the law, the downside of all these plastic containers and many shelving units is that a 10 year old with a paper clip or hammer can get into them in about a minute. The bad guys would just carry it away. (if they could lift it. ;p )

If you look on Craigs list you can find filing cabinets or other metal cabinets at reasonable prices. I found a half height double wide steel cabinet for $50.00. The seller had two, but I only had room for one at the time.

My general advice is get one larger than you think you need. You'll likely end up with more ammunition than you originally planned on.

Yeh, so if you're looking to get remotely close to the MA Ammo (10K) storage limit the 50 Cal
ammo cans clearly dont provide the capacity - I think, based upon my calcs, you can only
house 850 rounds per 50 cal ammo can. So, what's the next best option? Large safe?

I keep mine on shelves in my closet, since the door handle has a crappy button lock on it (I don't have any kids or felons around) and its 5 feet from my bed. As someone else said, not the most secure thing in the world, but if someone tried breaking in.... [mg]

Back
Top Bottom