Ammo So much to buy!

Ok So I'm relatively new to the world of firearms. About one year. Ive managed to get my hands on a beautiful colt sporter preban with a 1 in 6 twist barrel. I mention that because the guy I bought it from told me to be careful what grain ammo I put through it. Something about the round tumbling.

So here is my question. I'm looking to get as much 7.62 and .223 ammo as I can pick up (planning on an SKS in the near future[smile]) And I'm EXTREMELY confused with all the different type ammo that is out there. From the grain count to the jacket on the bullet. I just don't wanna buy something that is garbage. What should I look for when buying! HELP HELP! [thinking]

The tighter twist rate of 1 in 6 is ideal for heavier grain rounds like the M856, which is 64grns. You can shoot the lighter 55grn rnds with that bbl, but they can overspin. This can cause tumbling and could actually cause the round to come apart before reaching their target. Obviously effecting accuracy.

Look for heavier weight bullets and you should be good.

what about in reference to different "jackets" such as some polymer coated 7.62 I saw. Is there a benefit/draw back to this? Should I stay away from steel jacketed stuff??

Everything you ever wanted to know about .223/5.56 ammo (and probably a lot you never knew you wanted to know):

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror.htm

Read everything, its well worth it.

1:6 twist? Never heard of an AR with that, you sure it isn't 1:7, look on the barrel, it should be stamped on it somewhere.

Also be aware that ammo prices have spiked recently due to Obama, so don't go wasting your money on 300% price inflated ammo at the moment.

HKdrummer19, you probably know this, but I keep seeing you say "7.62" ammo.

Remember there are MANY 7.62 rounds,, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R... all for different guns.

If your thinking about a russian gun, if it's a semi, it's probably 7.62x39.

Ammo prices suck right now. Buy what you need, but I'd expect a slight cooling of prices once the Obama panic buying lets up.

Read everything, its well worth it.

1:6 twist? Never heard of an AR with that, you sure it isn't 1:7, look on the barrel, it should be stamped on it somewhere.

+1... it's probably 1:7, or at least thats what most colts are, unless they're like an older SP1, which might be 1:12.

-Mike

Well now I have to throw is my ammo price predictions too. Keep in mind, my crystal ball is actually just a fishtank but...

Ammo cost is high right now as we all know. Why?
1. Raw component cost: Commodities have been outrageous for the last few years
2. US Military sucking up most available production
3. Obama scare!!!!

If you buy this as the premise of the cost (and I do) then there MAY be better times coming but they could easily be derailed. Lets look at the components again.

1. Raw component cost: Commodities are currently falling through the floor.
2. US Mil: Obama may dial down the war and subsequent demand.
3. Obama scare!!!!: He may or may not execute another ban.

So there are the three pieces: War Demand, Commodity Price, and Public Demand (vis-a-vis Obama scare). You can probably move the pieces around and figure the scenario's out yourself. Remember that the ammo being sold right now was made with high priced commodities and thus must be worked through before lower commodity prices affect the final price.

So if:
1. War dies down
2. No new ban
3. Commodity price works it way into the equation.
= Prices fall by the end of 2009

OR

1. War dies down
2. New commodity price works it's way in
3. Obama Bans or Taxes

Price stays the same? Goes up? who knows

1. War doesn't die down
2. New commodity price works it's way in
3. Ban Happens/Tax happens

Price go up and we miss the days of $500 cases of XM193.

Mix and match as you will....

You can also easily check it yourself. Just put a patch on a cleaning rod jag, make sure it fits tight, then put a mark on the rod and watch to see how far the rod has to travel before the mark makes one revolution as you push it through the barrel. 7" = 1:7, 8" = 1:8, etc.

Back
Top Bottom