Ammo can modification?

I saw someone at the Pumpkin shoot who had an interesting ammo can modification. It involved (I think) drilling into the can and installing a bolt in there somehow that they could then lock with a master lock. If that person sees it, I would love to hear more details about how they did it.

Thanks,
L

You mean one of these?
http://www.ammolock.com/
50caldropshdw.jpg

Cheaper Than Dirt sells a box lock for $10.00. You can make your own with a 3/8 hex bolt. This isn't my design. I found it somewhere on the web; maybe even here.

Drill a 3/8 hole thru the hole in the lift up handle. Get a 3/8 x 1-1/2 hex bolt, with lock washer, nut, 2 washers and 2 rubber washers. From inside the can feed the bolt thru with a washer then rubber washer. The rubber washer against the inside of the can. Then put a rubber washer, washer, lock nut, and nut on the outside of can. I find it easier to close the can by hacksawing 1/4" off the bolt. Then I drill a 1/8" hole thru the bolt and use TSA locks to secure it.

All the parts can be picked up at Lowe's or HD for around $3.00.

Hopes this helps.

you CAN actually get a padlock with a slightly longer loop, and actually put a lock on a standard ammo can. (ive done it)

The first time I did this (15 years ago) I used a 30 cal can and welded a 1.5 or so long piece of angle Iron with a hole drilled in the part that stuck out to put the lock through.

Then about 10 years ago I found a 5/8 Stainless steel bolt and drilled a hole in a 50 cal can passed the bolt through from the inside to the outside and bingo a locking 50 caliber can.

I noticed that the 3/8 bolt was a little two skinny on the sides once the correct hole was drilled so I used a 5/8 bolt and drilled a 5/16 or so hole 90 deg to the axis of the bolt and it worked fine.

Will post pics of the bolt tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I did the pretty much the same thing as icyclefar, it is just a clevis pin inserted through a hole I drilled. I then used a press on washer to secure it, covered that over with some JB Weld for good measure, hit it with some green spray paint and wha lah, Locking Ammo can. I think I spent about $3 total on hardware.

Back
Top Bottom