am i overstocking 22 guns?

i have a marlin 60, s&w22a, and s&w422. i still need a bolt action rifle (henry) and sell the POS marlin to fund a ruger 10-22

so answer to op's question??? 4 would be enough for me, but if i ran across a s&w revolver............

What don't you like about the Marlin Model 60? How old is it? I have had mine for over 20 years, and it will be cremated with me! It is accurate and never F's up.

should i be experimenting with other stuff?
I am not experienced enough to be bored with them honestly.
I have the ruger american (bolt), I am buying from a member an SR22 (handgun), and I buying from a forum supporter/vendor an M&P 15-22 Sport (AR lol).
I obviously love the prices 22 ammo, I am fairly stocked up (I believe I am around 8000 rounds now). I love that I can go to the range for 4 hours and my shoulder (and pocket) is fine. My girl loves shooting them as well.

I know the general mentality is you cannot have too many guns, but I dont know, figured its a good topic for discussion.

I don't think so. I have a few and want to get my paws on a new 10/22. You cant go wrong with the humble .22.....

A word of advice to all- I don't advocate sharing ammo details about inventory here.....

Nothing wrong with a healthy stable of .22s. Last week's Appleseed experience told me that it might be time to stop pretending I have the eyesight of my 20s and either swap out the Tech Sights skinny post or accept the need for a scope. If the latter, why not get a new rifle on which to mount the scope? 10/22s are (relatively) cheap.

Olympus, Now if you had 8000 .22 rifles and only 3 rounds of .22 ammo, that would be a lot more interesting![grin]
Lmao. Now that's some math.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with a healthy stable of .22s. Last week's Appleseed experience told me that it might be time to stop pretending I have the eyesight of my 20s and either swap out the Tech Sights skinny post or accept the need for a scope. If the latter, why not get a new rifle on which to mount the scope? 10/22s are (relatively) cheap.

no economist major I assume? Lol. That's kinda what I do now too.

Personally nobody can tell you if you have enough or not enough.22's because it's YOUR favorite gun so until you feel your satisfied with what you own then keep buying them, I asked myself the same question about my AK's and still bought more however I personally felt that it would be a good idea to get a few AR's so I did, that being said I would suggest getting at least 1 go to SHFT/Battle rifle and in my opinion at least 1 AK or AR would fit that bill and round out the collection. And ofcourse having an abundance of ammo AND Mags is always paramount

I agree with others. OP, You're not over served on .22 but under served with others.

I recently started to track how much ammo i shoot in a week and thus month etc. I realized i didnt have as much as i needed. I do have just over 5000 rds of .22 and only a bolt action rifle.

should i be experimenting with other stuff?
I am not experienced enough to be bored with them honestly.
I have the ruger american (bolt), I am buying from a member an SR22 (handgun), and I buying from a forum supporter/vendor an M&P 15-22 Sport (AR lol).
I obviously love the prices 22 ammo, I am fairly stocked up (I believe I am around 8000 rounds now). I love that I can go to the range for 4 hours and my shoulder (and pocket) is fine. My girl loves shooting them as well.

I know the general mentality is you cannot have too many guns, but I dont know, figured its a good topic for discussion.

Too many?

You HAVE a bolt action. You're buying a handgun and a semi-auto pseudo "assault rifle".
That's a BEGINNING.

You NEED a 10/22.
Probably should get a double-action revolver.

If you think I'm kidding, or being facetious - absolutely not, I've got more than that in my gun safe. .22's are FUN to shoot, economical, great training tools, the kids can use them, and did I mention they're FUN?

Love me some 22 because they are a ton of fun. The coolest thing about 22 is that new shooters, recent converts, kids, small people, just about everyone can shoot them and will enjoy shooting them.

I have a 15-22 and it is awesome. Make sure you have High Velocity ammo for it. I like CCI mini mags and Federal Auto match the best. But my favorite 22 by far is the Henry Golden Boy. Four Seasons seems to always have them at a decent price. I like it the best because it eats any ammo available. It is not finicky at all like most 22's are. You can shoot quiets, shorts, crappy thunderbolts,whatever.
I can shoot it indoors or outdoors and it is plenty accurate out to 150-200 yards. CCI quiets are very quiet and can be safely shot places others can not, without drawing attention.
The capacity is a plus as well, holding 15 rounds of 22 long and 22 rounds of 22 short

And they are beautiful.

H004-large.jpg
i have the "standard" model henry the h001. I agree with everything you say. They are a great rifle fun accurate....and yes they will take shorts but my henry hates to feed them for some reason. No big deal....i dont use shorts very often anyway but they will extract and set up the next round to go in but when closing the lever every 3-4 rounds likes to flip nose up above the chamber and jam.

what scope are you using to get out to 200 yards with yours? I put an old leopold rimfire on mine and it does fine to 100 yards but 200 would definitely be a stretch.

Last edited:
Too many?

You HAVE a bolt action. You're buying a handgun and a semi-auto pseudo "assault rifle".
That's a BEGINNING.

You NEED a 10/22.
Probably should get a double-action revolver.

If you think I'm kidding, or being facetious - absolutely not, I've got more than that in my gun safe. .22's are FUN to shoot, economical, great training tools, the kids can use them, and did I mention they're FUN?

LOL - I have more .30-.30 than OP has 22's. I don't think he is overstocked.

LOL - I have more .30-.30 than OP has 22's. I don't think he is overstocked.
I dont even do round counts anymore. I look at the shelves in the safe and see how many boxes and just "know" when im getting low. You develope a feel for these things after a few years.

One other tip.

If you find a particular ammo that runs and shoots accurately in your favorite rifle run and buy as much as the same lot# as possible.

I am fairly stocked up (I believe I am around 8000 rounds now).

That's a good start. Between a trip to Walmart and Dick's, I bought 6,000.....last week. I can't even keep it around. My kids shoot it like they don't pay for it. 1k rounds in a single day shooting off the porch at our NH place is a LIGHT day. Having kids who shoot is sometimes a mixed blessing. Keep stocking, keep shooting. Be prepared for a run on ammo if the country has electile dysfunction and killary gets in next month.

Some folks around here would be shooting that in a weekend. Stocked means over 100 000 rds, IMHO.

That would be over the max allowable storage in the commiewealth. I wish I could FIND that much at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I didn't claim to be overstocked in ammo. I said I have a decent stock.
just so we are clear. I added another 975 rounds yesterday.

22's a re a blast to shoot and are cheap to shoot. I have several 22 pistols and rifles. i would have to go in the safe to count them but I am guessing 10 or 12.
The ruger 10/22 is probably the best value in a 22 rifle. They are very accurate out of the box and the inexpensive models are right around $200 bucks. You dont see many used ones because no one sells them. At one point I had 4 of them, I actually let 2 of them go to friends.
I buy ammo when I see it at a reasonable price and buy whatever my pocket can afford at the time. I don't know exactly how much 22 I have but I would guess 30-40K rounds. During the shortage I was still able to shoot the same as I always had. 22 is pretty easy to get right now so you should stock up. You can never have too much and you can always get you money back if you need to turn some of it into cash.

.22 Lever Actions are a LOT of fun.
I have an ERMA EG71 and now fell in love with an ERMA Buffalo which is from an old friend's estate.
Pics Show the model, not the actual rifle I am after.
http://www.waffen-pfandleihhaus.de/beschreibungen/1934.html

BTW, the Henrys are based upon the ERMA construction and very likely made on ERMA's machinery.

The Henry pump is also a descendant of an predecessor Erma model.

Another gun derived from Erma's models was the Iver Johnson TP22.

.22 Lever Actions are a LOT of fun.
I have an ERMA EG71 and now fell in love with an ERMA Buffalo which is from an old friend's estate.[/url]

BTW, the Henrys are based upon the ERMA construction and very likely made on ERMA's machinery.

The Erma brand isn't very well known here in the US, I can't remember the last time I even saw anything made by Erma in a local gun shop.

I own one Erma myself, a model 68A "Baby Luger" in .380
It's a fun little gun but it only holds 5 rounds and the mags are a real bitch to load.

ermakgp68au400.jpg

With the impending election apocalypse with bitchface Clintons getting back into the WH, I will be purchasing a few AR7's for stashing...

Do you know if this was imported to the US and sold under the Mitchell name here ???
I had a Mitchell .22 exactly like this back in the late 80's, I wish I never traded it away.

I believe that is the American Arms.

Last edited:

I thought it was Mitchell, but I may be wrong, it was so long ago.
I may have the original Mass FFL "white slip" in my files from when I bought it, I'll have to look for it.
IIRC, I traded it away towards something else back in the 90's, I wish I kept it, but I remember it only had one mag and I couldn't find another one for it.

I thought it was Mitchell, but I may be wrong, it was so long ago.
I may have the original Mass FFL "white slip" in my files from when I bought it, I'll have to look for it.
IIRC, I traded it away towards something else back in the 90's, I wish I kept it, but I remember it only had one mag and I couldn't find another one for it.

Mitchell contracted to other companies for guns with their roll marks(e.g. the American Eagle Lugers, High Standard supermatic and victor clones were made by Aimco in Texas, ). It wouldn't surprise me if they did that for P38 clones as well. American Arms in Missouri was producing a P38 clone in the US on the Erma Werke design. Erma also had other models manufactured by American Arms and Iver Johnson/ AMAC in the US, who marketed them under their own roll marks. (i.e. you will find Erma made M1 carbine clones under the Erma banner and Iver Johnson made ones under theirs.)

Incidentally, the last major Erma distributor in the US in the 1990s was out of Westfield, Mass. (Precision Sales) [At that point in time, Erma was exporting world class, match grade .22 and .32 semi-auto pistols and revolvers, and I believe a high end sniper-type rifle)

Last edited:
Now you need a 4" S&W 617 to round out your 22 collection. It is the most fun gun that I own and will shoot any 22.
ALL shooters have fun plinking with .22. Enjoy!

You are correct, my bad. I guess the memory isn't what it used to be.
I found the original "white slip" and it was indeed an American Arms P-98, S/N #003292.

Now I want to find another one.

Also, in my files, I found two of the original FA-1 "Blue Cards"

FA1.jpg

These were used for private transfers pre-1998.

Can you imagine what would happen if you tried to use one of these now ??? [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom