am i overstocking 22 guns?

So you have 14,000 dollars invested in 22 ammo... Sounds reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.22's will be worth their weight in gold (or maybe more) in a 100% SHTF scenario. personaly, i prefer the 10-15k range. to each his/her own.

I think you need to check your math. He may be like me and bought it by the case when it was <3 cents a round and that wasnt that long ago. I used to buy 5000 round cases at FS for 139 bucks, less when they were on sale.

you could easily have 10-15 .22's and they could all be very different. Pistols, revolvers, SA/DA, bolts, semi rifles, levers, etc.

great way to find out what you like very cheaply

do what you enjoy. doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy the .22 then buy all you can and shoot as often as you want. there are no rules.....

I wish 22 scratched my itch, but I get bored with zero recoil. However, I need to get a 22 pistol to save money. How do you like the Ruger American Rifle?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the American. I can hit 2" @ 100yard pretty consistent. I have 4 10 round mags and I go through them so quickly. Especially last time I went shooting, with the broken shoulder, it was pretty awesome to have something with no recoil. It truly is a great gun. And for the price you just can't beat it.
It is also the gun that made me want to get my LTC for whatever is worth it.

Look up the model, if it was less than $200 bucks, I don't know if I would trust it. Here's something I learned some years ago after a while of never being able to shoot the tiny groups I was after... if you run a cheapo scope and mediocre factory ammo(or military), you will rarely see better than like 3-4 moa, even at 100. Potentially worse. Loading my own ammo was an overnight change on the groups I could shoot, like from shit to pretty damn good. My skill level certainly didn't jump overnight. Decent glass can make a big difference as well. I mean with like a mediocre $3-400 bolt action too, not some super gun. Fundamentals are huge, don't get me wrong, but you can definitely buy performance in this game.

I just saw this thread turning into a "who's got the most 22 ammo stock" contest. So I "jokingly" played along and had to one up ya lol. I have nowhere near 200k rounds.

Need a new rimfire rifle myself. Almost wanna get a 10/22 they're so cheap but I don't want to have to spend 500 dollars to make it as good as my bone stock old marlin.

If its your thing go for as many as you want. A member of my gun club has 100+ 22 rifles. He collects em. Brings something different every trip. If I see his truck when i pull in i always say to muself....cool....wonder what hea got today.....and he always lets Anyone try em out. Some are a hundren years old and some are brand new.

Need a new rimfire rifle myself. Almost wanna get a 10/22 they're so cheap but I don't want to have to spend 500 dollars to make it as good as my bone stock old marlin.

After resisting pretty much forever, I finally got a 10/22, they come in so many configurations nowadays, it's tough to choose. I almost went for a stainless takedown, but then I saw this Talo Edition:

21102_10-22-M1C_Sd_Rt+copy.jpg

Love me some 22 because they are a ton of fun. The coolest thing about 22 is that new shooters, recent converts, kids, small people, just about everyone can shoot them and will enjoy shooting them.

I have a 15-22 and it is awesome. Make sure you have High Velocity ammo for it. I like CCI mini mags and Federal Auto match the best. But my favorite 22 by far is the Henry Golden Boy. Four Seasons seems to always have them at a decent price. I like it the best because it eats any ammo available. It is not finicky at all like most 22's are. You can shoot quiets, shorts, crappy thunderbolts,whatever.
I can shoot it indoors or outdoors and it is plenty accurate out to 150-200 yards. CCI quiets are very quiet and can be safely shot places others can not, without drawing attention.
The capacity is a plus as well, holding 15 rounds of 22 long and 22 rounds of 22 short

And they are beautiful.

H004-large.jpg

Last edited:

You can get most 10/22s shooting better with out spending $$$$.
First thing you do is clean the new gun and barrel well
Trigger up grade is a plus
Poke around on rim fire central and fit the stock as best you can.
Then find ammo it likes...

What old marlin do you have? What type of accuracy are you getting

I have an old Remington Apache 77 that I bought new in 1986 it must have 200,000+ rounds through it and it still shoots as good as it did the day it came out of the box no matter what ammo you feed it.
22's are great fun and you will never find the need to grow away from them....buy all you can and enjoy them for as long as you can

I have about 130k rounds of Mini Mag,and around 80k rounds of various other kinds of .22..I stocked up a long time ago and haven't shot a round of .22 in probably 5 years.

That's kinda of sad...

I have maintained a healthy stock for many years. Got that from my dad. Growing up we would expell many thousands of rounds weekly in the summer months. We always had a healthily supply on hand.
My dad's method of keeping supplied was to buy 2x as much as you plan to shoot next time out BEFORE you go to the range.
So if your shooting 100 rounds on Saturday range trip you buy 200 before you go. You now have fresh replacement and plus 100. Do this often enough you will build a surplus.

That's kinda of sad...

I have maintained a healthy stock for many years. Got that from my dad. Growing up we would expell many thousands of rounds weekly in the summer months. We always had a healthily supply on hand.
My dad's method of keeping supplied was to buy 2x as much as you plan to shoot next time out BEFORE you go to the range.
So if your shooting 100 rounds on Saturday range trip you buy 200 before you go. You now have fresh replacement and plus 100. Do this often enough you will build a surplus.

I bought 10k rds from someone at once in 2015. God bless him.

Sounds like a nice assortment of training guns. One pistol, one bolt gun, and a semi auto rifle.

of course there is a need for higher caliber as well. But the .22 love sounds healthy to me

I bought 10k rds from someone at once in 2015. God bless him.

I was offered all the 22lr from a life long small bore competitor... he had some cheap steel cased ammo right up to more recent match ammo... 20$/50rand
He had many many different varieties with a average value factoring in time frame purchased of about .06 round.
Including some early 90s vintage eley match ammo that shot poorly in his anschutz 64 match gun.
All 25k rounds of it. He gave me a one time buy it all price of .05 cents per round. I just didn't have 3k to spend on 22lr at the time. He later sold all the match ammo close to current retail.
My friend bough the 1500 rounds of new eley tenex at the bargain price of .25 per round.

I was offered all the 22lr from a life long small bore competitor... he had some cheap steel cased ammo right up to more recent match ammo... 20$/50rand
He had many many different varieties with a average value factoring in time frame purchased of about .06 round.
Including some early 90s vintage eley match ammo that shot poorly in his anschutz 64 match gun.
All 25k rounds of it. He gave me a one time buy it all price of .05 cents per round. I just didn't have 3k to spend on 22lr at the time. He later sold all the match ammo close to current retail.
My friend bough the 1500 rounds of new eley tenex at the bargain price of .25 per round.

I paid .06 per round for the mixture of federal match ( mostly) and Remington thunder bolt shit. But I am glad i bought them. 22 lr is just too much fun for its price

Back
Top Bottom