• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Always ask for a warrant before letting the police in

I wonder how many Watertown families refused to open their doors to the search.
Happened during the day. Most of them were probably at work and the kids at school or doing extracurricular activities after school. How many LTCs and FIDs are in Watertown? Less than 10 percent of the total population? Chances of return fire was miniscule.

I step outside and lock the door behind me. I’ve done that twice now. It works well. No warrant situation although I’d still do the same.

My friends with male children all have this book as a gift from me. We’re all familiar with Law Professor James Duane’s “Don’t Talk to the Police” videos, but in his follow-up book he notes the advice has drifted as the courts have looked askance at ‘taking the 5th’ as a tacit admission of guilt.

His advice is to say you will cooperate fully but must speak with a lawyer first. The courts remain steadfast in the right to a lawyer - but don’t say “Do I need a lawyer?”, be absolutely clear with “I must speak with a lawyer before I talk with you”.

WRT police at your door, stepping outside to ask what they want is fine, but don’t let them lure you down off your front steps or porch, as that so-called ‘curtilage’ maintains heightened 4thA protection that your yard and driveway don’t have. They’ll often park on the street and ask you to come over to the car to check some things - then, you’ve started the chain of cooperation away from your ‘castle’ and refusal to further cooperate can be used against you.

The police might actually not want you for anything, but might want information on someone else. If they see or hear anything they can use as leverage to get your cooperation, that can go poorly for you. The next best thing to catching a perp is catching an ‘accomplice‘. Don’t let that be you.

Police hate cameras - my long dead 1st security camera is obvious and mounted outside the 2nd story window above my front door, and my Ring camera is easily identified by the small “video surveillance in progress” sticker.

Amazon product ASIN 1503933393View: https://www.amazon.com/You-Have-Right-Remain-Innocent/dp/1503933393/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1701521293&sr=8-1

My house has entry through the garage. Our deck overlooks the driveway, so often when anyone comes to the house I go out on the deck and talk down to them. Gives me a tactical advantage. I can pee on them.

[smile]
Same situation here. I like to come out on the deck in an open bathrobe waving my revolver around like Alfred Molina in Boogie nights.

WTF is this for real??
So this youtuber named "Afro Audits" made a phone inquiry to city hall (not a crime), so Iowa police approach his house just to get a statement for alleged harassment (no warrants). He opens the door (stupidly), and the cops barge in, tackle him, arrest him, and takes him to the station. Unbelievable. This is one of the most jackboot thuggery moments I've ever seen in bodycam vids. This is how gangs retaliate.

View: https://youtu.be/VuxJlWzOnic?si=MmscF1spBWnReDZe

None of this would've happened if he simply did not open the door.

WTF is this for real??
So this youtuber named "Afro Audits" made a phone inquiry to city hall (not a crime), so Iowa police approach his house just to get a statement for alleged harassment (no warrants). He opens the door (stupidly), and the cops barge in, tackle him, arrest him, and takes him to the station. Unbelievable. This is one of the most jackboot thuggery moments I've ever seen in bodycam vids. This is how gangs retaliate.

View: https://youtu.be/VuxJlWzOnic?si=MmscF1spBWnReDZe

None of this would've happened if he simply did not open the door.

At the 15 min mark you see a lil thottie cop. As a brotha I am far more scared of interacting one on one with tiny women cops cause they are far more likely to mag dump yo ass and deem you a lethal threat [citation needed]. She aight tho.

Serious question:

If there is a medical emergency in your home, we all know who usually arrives first or at least along with EMT's / Paramedics. Under this circumstance, may cops simply enter your home w/o explicit permission?

Not sure how/why the police entered his home during the incident, but a friend was tripped up horribly over "improper storage". Someone else in his home was having the medical emergency. Both he and his wife were well known and upstanding members of the community. West Point grad, multiple deployments to the Gulf, high level job in the private sector, etc. No matter, what would be a non issue a few miles to the north cost him big money in court.

Under such circumstances does it become necessary to post an adult at the front door to say, "Mr. police man, you must wait outside."?
This is very common in Massachusetts and many New England towns.

Not down south.. Police roll only on “unsafe scenes” or overdoses (with my counties awful EMD system multiple misflags of calls). However…. I’ve seen it happen at my doctors office I work at. I called EMS for a patient call got flagged as an overdose (it wasn’t even close to an over dose… I think it was Shortness of breath and unstable vitals.. police show up… I politely tell the patient he did nothing wrong and we didn’t call the police and he does not have to give the officer information.. well the patient was a boomer and said hey I remember you and gave the cop his info.. turned out he has some BS warrant. In NC everything is arrest-able things that should be summoned to court or even a ticket in some cases result in an arrest.. poor guy ended up spending the weekend in jail after he refused EMS.

The point of this story is always assume the police are going to show up and be nosy..

These aren’t the old school 90s cops who only busted your balls if you were acting a fool or met the criminal profile… they didn’t want to bother the working man… minus of Course the drug interdiction cops.. now every cop wants to be the drug interdiction cop..

I don’t even like my landlord coming in here..
Past landlords ask about my soldiering station and my radios.. I don’t like that stuff as I feel as if they are profiling me… imagine what the local nosey deputy sheriff would do….

This is very common in Massachusetts and many New England towns.

Not down south.. Police roll only on “unsafe scenes” or overdoses (with my counties awful EMD system multiple misflags of calls). However…. I’ve seen it happen at my doctors office I work at. I called EMS for a patient call got flagged as an overdose (it wasn’t even close to an over dose… I think it was Shortness of breath and unstable vitals.. police show up… I politely tell the patient he did nothing wrong and we didn’t call the police and he does not have to give the officer information.. well the patient was a boomer and said hey I remember you and gave the cop his info.. turned out he has some BS warrant. In NC everything is arrest-able things that should be summoned to court or even a ticket in some cases result in an arrest.. poor guy ended up spending the weekend in jail after he refused EMS.

The point of this story is always assume the police are going to show up and be nosy..

These aren’t the old school 90s cops who only busted your balls if you were acting a fool or met the criminal profile… they didn’t want to bother the working man… minus of Course the drug interdiction cops.. now every cop wants to be the drug interdiction cop..

I don’t even like my landlord coming in here..
Past landlords ask about my soldiering station and my radios.. I don’t like that stuff as I feel as if they are profiling me… imagine what the local nosey deputy sheriff would do….
I forget how many times I have said this but NC is the NJ of the South LOL.

Prior to MA I lived in areas down south and out west with county sheriffs. Granted there was no improper storage BS but if they saw something they would simply ensure it was safe before leaving and OMG Gun! arrests were never made unless there was some serious crime such as drugs, violence, etc. Absolutely never were any arrests made from a medical emergency. What they do in MA is really F'ed up.

I forget how many times I have said this but NC is the NJ of the South LOL.

Prior to MA I lived in areas down south and out west with county sheriffs. Granted there was no improper storage BS but if they saw something they would simply ensure it was safe before leaving and OMG Gun! arrests were never made unless there was some serious crime such as drugs, violence, etc. Absolutely never were any arrests made from a medical emergency. What they do in MA is really F'ed up.
My experience is the exact opposite. Was in South Carolina for a time. My uncle bought some Tyvek house wrap from a flea market. It had the logo of a local contractor on it. He put the wrap on a house he was renovating. An employee of the company whose logo was printed on it called the sheriff’s office and reported that some house wrap was stolen a few weeks prior. The sheriff’s deputy interviewed my uncle who told him he bought it at the flea market. The sheriff’s deputy obtained an arrest warrant for receiving stolen properly. He then went to my uncle’s house and arrested him at 4pm. He had to spend the night in jail because court was closed.

You would never see this happen in Massachusetts. Police don’t arrest here unless it’s serious, and they would never apply for an arrest warrant for a flimsy receiving stolen property case.

My experience is the exact opposite. Was in South Carolina for a time. My uncle bought some Tyvek house wrap from a flea market. It had the logo of a local contractor on it. He put the wrap on a house he was renovating. An employee of the company whose logo was printed on it called the sheriff’s office and reported that some house wrap was stolen a few weeks prior. The sheriff’s deputy interviewed my uncle who told him he bought it at the flea market. The sheriff’s deputy obtained an arrest warrant for receiving stolen properly. He then went to my uncle’s house and arrested him at 4pm. He had to spend the night in jail because court was closed.

You would never see this happen in Massachusetts. Police don’t arrest here unless it’s serious, and they would never apply for an arrest warrant for a flimsy receiving stolen property case.

Whether in South Carolina or anywhere else, I assume a certain percentage of cops have the mindset of high-school bullies and enjoy exerting power over potential victims.

I can easily see a cop or ADA applying for an arrest warrant. In South Carolina the test for receiving stolen property is "has reason to believe the goods, chattels, or property is stolen," and buying branded wrap from an anonymous seller at a flea market can reasonably be considered "reason to believe." The d*ck move was holding him overnight rather than arranging for him to surrender in the morning. Massachusetts has a similar "reasonableness" test.

Whether in South Carolina or anywhere else, I assume a certain percentage of cops have the mindset of high-school bullies and enjoy exerting power over potential victims.

I can easily see a cop or ADA applying for an arrest warrant. In South Carolina the test for receiving stolen property is "has reason to believe the goods, chattels, or property is stolen," and buying branded wrap from an anonymous seller at a flea market can reasonably be considered "reason to believe." The d*ck move was holding him overnight rather than arranging for him to surrender in the morning. Massachusetts has a similar "reasonableness" test.
Yeah I agree. In the grand scheme of things, most cases can be resolved with a simple criminal summons. Save the arrest warrants (and warrantless arrests in general) for violent crimes and for defendants who you believe won’t appear unless arrested. Whether someone is arrested or summonsed doesn’t change what occurs down at court.

The Missis just went to the local small town PD for her LTC renewal. They told her they would deliver it to our house. I know this is their standard procedure now because someone else I know in town had their LTC delivered to their house. They thought they were getting VIP treatment.[rofl]

This is a new procedure because for my last renewal I got a phone call to pick it up at the local PD. Since then we are now a shared PD with another neighboring town PD.

So to the people that say never open the door for the cops, in this town that means you never get your LTC. ;)

The Missis just went to the local small town PD for her LTC renewal. They told her they would deliver it to our house. I know this is their standard procedure now because someone else I know in town had their LTC delivered to their house. They thought they were getting VIP treatment.[rofl]

This is a new procedure because for my last renewal I got a phone call to pick it up at the local PD. Since then we are now a shared PD with another neighboring town PD.

So to the people that say never open the door for the cops, in this town that means you never get your LTC. ;)
They can put it in the mailbox tho.

They can put it in the mailbox tho.
When I first moved to town they would put it in my PO box. Then they had you come to the station to pick it up.

I would rather just answer the door than yell out telling them to put it in my PO box which clearly is no longer standard procedure. I don't think that would go well.

My house has entry through the garage. Our deck overlooks the driveway, so often when anyone comes to the house I go out on the deck and talk down to them. Gives me a tactical advantage. I can pee on them.

Having been on the other side of that badge, once my chief and I got called to a house by the parents. 15 year old kid was raging, hadn't been taking his meds, parents didn't know what to do, so we were going to take him to the hospital by force. He calmed down as soon as we showed up, the hurt on his face at his parents calling the cops was heart breaking. Anyway, kid asked if he could pack a bag and chief told me to go with him to his room. As I passed the chief, he whispered to me "Get a good look around, see if there's anything we can get him on to hold him". I think that was the day I first started thinking the job wasn't for me.
That chief needs a kick in the balls. What a f***ing a**h***

Back
Top Bottom