• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Almost seated on jury for simple gun possession charges

RichM

Retired Army Veteran
I was almost seated on a jury for the trial of someone charged with possession of a firearm without an LTC, possession of a loaded firearm without an LTC, and possession of ammunition without an FID. Those were the only charges being brought against the defendant.

I was excused from the jury at the last minute by the defense attorney using a peremptory challenge... I was going to be very curious about what the basis for the charges were... and I was going to be hard to convince if the basis was only the malum prohibitum laws. The attorney made a mistake in rejecting me...

Last edited:
I think for me if those were the only charges I wouldn't vote guilty. I don't agree with the infringements on the constitution so I don't see that he broke the law. He only broke the anti's interpretation of the law which is BS.

I cannot believe that the defense attorney dismissed you.

I have to imagine that one of the questions you were asked to answer was if you held and LTC or FID? Were you asked this?

I'd want the whole jury filled with LTC and FID holders. Just need one to say No to the charges.

The attorney made a mistake in rejecting me...

yep. lolol, if he only knew!!!

That would have been a hoot. Would have been nice to see you convince all the other jurors.

We weren't asked about gun ownership, LTC possession, etc. We were asked if any potential jurors had contributed to anti-gun-possession groups however.

I was dismissed due to something I had listed on my juror questionnaire... including questions about being a past crime victim and prior experience testifying in court. Neither of those incidents would have had any bearing on my decision-making in this case.

... And I went into this open-mindedly... If the guy was a gang-banger, drug-dealer, or something like that, illegal possession might have been an easier sell. If, as it looks now that I know the defendant's name, it is simply a case of 'we found a gun and we're going to charge everyone nearby with possession of it', it would have been far more difficult to convince me to find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Back
Top Bottom