Almost ready (updated 8/17, range ready)

SKS Ray

NES Member
100_1260.jpg

Remsport complete upper, Hogue grip, NES Anvil Arms lower, & DPMS LPK.

Now I need a stock and trigger guard to complete this. So far this is shaping up to be a light and easy to use in a SHTF situation rifle and thats what I want it to be. Any suggestions on what type of stock I should go with?

I have a RRA standard A2 stock that will soon be a spare because I want to put a Magpul PS on my RRA target barrel build. I was thinking of using it but am unsure if the buffer spring will work with this build. Truth is when it comes to swapping out AR stocks, I have no idea what works with what.[thinking]

Last edited:
They're actually lighter. And use the same full-length buffer and tube. I have one on my carbine. If you haven't chosen by the time the next car shoot comes around, let me know and you can try it out.

They're actually lighter. And use the same full-length buffer and tube. I have one on my carbine. If you haven't chosen by the time the next car shoot comes around, let me know and you can try it out.

I think I'll go with the Ace skeleton stock because I like the look and feel of them to begin with.

Now next question... sling attachments? This upper has no side swivel anywhere and I'm used to the standard sling loop on a butt stock and one in front of a handguard.

Ugh, no rails.

Either find something that'll attach to the holes in the handguard or something that'll clamp to the barrel. Most of the available models for ARs either attach to a rail or onto the standard FSB. You may need to get a bolt-on rail for the bottom handguard so you can attach something like a MI sling adapter.

Last edited:
looks great!

stock: as suggested, Ace or pin a collapsable one at your preferred length. one thing i notice is the A2 stock is a little too long for a carbine... even for me at 5'11"

-just a thought as I'm actually toying with swapping out a fully extended M4 Knock-off stock for collapsable one (pinned of course)

I think it may be too late now but a quad rail gas block would have been my choice - sling mounts and lights being the primary reason.

I think the Ace has a mounting point at the receiver, no?

To be constructive - perhaps swap out the hand guards for drop in rail type - that will give you a lot of options.

looks great!
stock: as suggested, Ace or pin a collapsable one at your preferred length. one thing i notice is the A2 stock is a little too long for a carbine... even for me at 5'11"

-just a thought as I'm actually toying with swapping out a fully extended M4 Knock-off stock for collapsable one (pinned of course)

I would also suggest the same. The Ace is great but its full size. If this is truly a SHTF gun, I would throw a collapsable on there and pin it down to smaller length. BTW, The ACE stock comes with a sling point that can be mounted in a number of positions on the stock. Given you don't have a forward mount, you could go with a single point harness or a front loop adapter to run a 2 point. Check out the slings from Urban ERT. Their single point is actually a hybrid that can become a 2 point very quickly. They also have a bunch of adapters depending on what you want to do.

Looks great.
You could use just a single point sling with the ACE for carry. Or where you looking for sling stability while shooting?

I am doing the ACE entry stock instead of full as it will be SHTF, so better maneuvering.

The sling will be for carry only so I'll probably go with a single point. I just think every rifle should have a sling and when one of mine doesn't, it bugs the hell outa me.[laugh]

I'll probably go with this stock: http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_77&products_id=190

I had an entry stock on one of my AR builds and as much as I did like the compact look, it really was too short to be comfortable. YMMV

I ended up switching it out for the full length skeleton stock.

LPK installed

With the help of the AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide and a few tips I read about here, I put my DPMS LPK in tonight. Went through all the safety tests and everything works like it should.

100_1263.jpg

100_1264.jpg

It went smoothly and I even had amazing luck with the forward detent spring. It flew out of the hole and the tiny brass detent pin launched straight up, hit the ceiling, and fell back down right in front of me onto the white rag I had all the parts laid out on.[grin]

I made a pivot pin detent tool out of an old section of cleaning rod by drilling a small hole through one end and used that method and didn't have any problem installing it then.

I used a pair of Robo Grip pliers with tape on the jaws to install the bolt catch roll pin because I couldn't find a roll pin punch that small.

No stock yet, I'm ordering one tomorrow. At least what was once an intimidating to me bag of parts is now only a few parts waiting for a stock.

It definitely was easier than I thought.

Last edited:
I have complete ACE stocks in stock. $115.00
Contact me. I will also install for $15.00.
When I say complete I am talking about the extention tube, spring and buffer. These parts do not come with the stock.
413 579 1994

With an Ace Stock from Remsport that came in the mail today, my build is done and ready for a range trip:

NESar.jpg

Sooner or later I'll start looking for a red dot and sling and whatever other add ons/replacements that I get an urge to grab as my AR knowledge grows.

Nice job Ray. How hard was it to get the foam over the buffer tube? On mine it was a PITA until someone here mentioned using a light solution of soap and water on the buffer tube.

Nice job Ray. How hard was it to get the foam over the buffer tube? On mine it was a PITA until someone here mentioned using a light solution of soap and water on the buffer tube.

I read many different tips and tricks on how to put the foam tube on. One review from a site mentioned using water based lube like KY because there was nothing in it that would rot the foam over time. I don't wanna know how he came up with the idea[laugh], but I was at work when I assembled it and had some Break Free handy so I used a light coat of it on the buffer tube.

Even that only allowed the foam to go half way so I used a plastic urethane tool that we often use at the body shop for masking up cars for paint and removing interior pannels. We get them from the guys that come by to instal windshields but you can buy them online.

http://www.aegistools.com/catalog/Windshield-Installation-Tools/Urethane-Paddle/

By sliding the paddle under the foam and working it around the tube a few times, it made fitting the foam easy and could be done w/out any oil.

Back
Top Bottom