AK-74 Riveting Assistance (MA - North Shore)

I recently bought an AK-74 parts kit through ak-builder, and a complete receiver through OOW. I've been weighing my options; screws are taboo but buying a rivet jig for one rifle is just too expensive for me to justify. I've made some calls but I can't find a gunsmith who does this kind of work. I'm hoping I can find someone in the Massachusetts north shore area to help me out with this. I can pay you for your help of course.

I did the short rivets on mine with a modified pair of $12 HF bolt cutters, and the long rivets with a hammer and anvil. I've tweaked the bolt cutters a few times, and they are now making pretty clean rivets. They have built about 6 rifles so far.

I did cheat and use the AK Builder trigger guard screw plate, rather than try to mash rivets so close to the receiver wall without a jig:

Build Parts :: Trigger Guard Screw Plate - AK-Builder.com

You have to thin out the inner plate with a grinder to clear the hammer spring, but once it's in, you really cant tell the difference.

Just with a hammer? I can give that a try. Probably google some guides for that first.

Not really.
And only on the long rivets . I have the tools for the rest .

The long rivets . I trimmed to the right length(the psl rivet kit where long and sucked)
I trimmed them , then started in a vise . Next I used a hammer and a punch I made with a cup in the bottom to shape the rivet head .
Atillia told me to do this.

Like I said I got the other tools and jigs.im in Tewksbury if you need help etc .

Last edited:
don't forget to get drunk or at least catch a good buzz. this assures that you hit the rivets hard enough with the hammer and punch.

wear gloves if you're smart. if you forget you can expect a puple knuckle. it's okay though, that's how the cool kids do it.

don't forget to get drunk or at least catch a good buzz. this assures that you hit the rivets hard enough with the hammer and punch.

wear gloves if you're smart. if you forget you can expect a puple knuckle. it's okay though, that's how the cool kids do it.

I was sober when I was using the tools I bought. But when I switched to the hammer I made sure I was not sober lol . Figured of I messed up I could blame it on that.

Back
Top Bottom