Airbnb and Guns

There are plenty of other fun and safe activities you can do in Grafton, such as hiking, fishing, or exploring the town's historic sites. Have a great time!

To be on the safe side......jfc.....why don't you just ask the owner of the property?!?!

It's insinuated that your asking here on nes the legality of it because your pretty sure the owners going to say no.....so instead your wondering how much legal trouble you'd get into if you just did it and the owner of the Airbnb got pissed. Why not just be a decent person and ask the owner.....or just don't do it.
There you go, applying common sense to a discussion. What the hell were you thinking?

I read the OP, and thought he was screwing with us. I should know better by now.

I realize this is a five-year-old thread, but:
BIL has a VRBO way up in VT on 20 or so acres. One group of renters decided to shoot clays off the back deck. Hundreds of them. The fluorescent orange ones.
Nobody called the cops (I think there's one statie that patrols the area), but what a friggin' mess. Took hours to clean up the mess so the yard and woods looked less bad.
Guess what went into the rental agreement after that?
BTW, according to him, the Canadian renters are the worst.

BIL has a VRBO way up in VT on 20 or so acres. One group of renters decided to shoot clays off the back deck. Hundreds of them. The fluorescent orange ones.
Nobody called the cops (I think there's one statie that patrols the area), but what a friggin' mess. Took hours to clean up the mess so the yard and woods looked less bad.
People doing what is legal, but not considerate, is often the cause of what becomes illegal. Being considerate isn't bowing to the will of others, its recognizing that others have rights too. And rent or not, its still their property. And you can be sure that if you are inconsiderate, you will not be back and the rules will change for everyone, because you were inconsiderate.

People doing what is legal, but not considerate, is often the cause of what becomes illegal. Being considerate isn't bowing to the will of others, its recognizing that others have rights too. And rent or not, its still their property. And you can be sure that if you are inconsiderate, you will not be back and the rules will change for everyone, because you were inconsiderate.
He had renters whose dog (they do allow dogs) almost clawed through one side of a bedroom hollow core door. Apparently didn't like being kept in the bedroom. The renters found some mud in one of the closets and applied it to the door, replicating the wood grain effect. Then they found matching paint and touched it up. It was on the back side of the door that was normally closed, so it wasn't noticed for several renter cycles. They weren't sure who did it. Probably the Canadians.

He had renters whose dog (they do allow dogs) almost clawed through one side of a bedroom hollow core door. Apparently didn't like being kept in the bedroom. The renters found some mud in one of the closets and applied it to the door, replicating the wood grain effect. Then they found matching paint and touched it up. It was on the back side of the door that was normally closed, so it wasn't noticed for several renter cycles. They weren't sure who did it. Probably the Canadians.
Quebecians I bet.
Frenchies know how to work plaster.

Last edited:
We had a problem in town with a 10yo boy shooting a very nice 8pt buck last fall. Problem was he was 120’ from my buddies house who watched the rest of the group run off with their white flags after shaking the house with the shot.
Warden Service quickly investigated and took the deer, dad took the blame and was charged for illegal discharge.

In the contract from VRBO it states no firearm use allowed. I saw it as I was directly involved in the matter. I’ve met the owner of the house who was rather unhappy about the event.

That is a pretty huge d-bag move by the renters...

Your renting the house not the entire property.
This depends.......I rented an AirBNB and hunted the whole property over 100 acres. I did however let the landowner know and he was OK with it. He told me to kill any coyotes I saw with whatever size gun I wanted to kill them with up to and including a cannon.

At the outset, he told me not to shoot any does, even though he had lots of them. Then after I told him and showed him a video of me passing a halfway decent 120" 8 pt, he would have absolutely let me shoot, and said he would have shot it himself. He felt bad I didn't have meat to take home I think and offered that I at least take a doe. I politely declined. He said, your welcome anytime here, and I will give you a break on the cost as well, your from MA, but your not the type I'd thought you'd be. A little respect goes a long way with someone who doesn't know you.

Any amount of shooting or having firearms should be OK'ed with the landowner beforehand along with any other non standard type of use of property. Including ATV, hunting, snowmobiling, and anything that could injure trees or wildlife.

For instance, even if allowed to hunt, I would never use even a climbing stand or sticks without telling the landowner, because if they saw marks on the bark of the tree, they could get mad. I would get their OK first before using stands and let them know that there could be marks on the bark from me, and I would never drill or leave bolts or holes, or metal in a tree.

And people are right....most people are just too cheap, or want to slip something past the landowner, then it gets the whole property off limits or whatever. Just because your paying to rent once, does not mean you own it. Be respectful and you'll likely have no issues.

Last edited:
We had a problem in town with a 10yo boy shooting a very nice 8pt buck last fall. Problem was he was 120’ from my buddies house who watched the rest of the group run off with their white flags after shaking the house with the shot.
Warden Service quickly investigated and took the deer, dad took the blame and was charged for illegal discharge.

In the contract from VRBO it states no firearm use allowed. I saw it as I was directly involved in the matter. I’ve met the owner of the house who was rather unhappy about the event.
His Dad was to blame. He was the idiot that rented a place that doesn't allow guns, and let his kid shoot way to close to houses.

Like I said, probably though he could get away with it......not sure WTF he was thinking......I mean if he had a crossbow or bowhunting maybe.

Warden Service got into a big crime that day, they must have loved that shit, being able to charge an out of stater!!

I mean, one of the guys at our club got a 250 dollar fine and loss of fishing license for a year, for his kid for putting a few live kivers in a bucket. This is much more major than that!!

His Dad was to blame. He was the idiot that rented a place that doesn't allow guns, and let his kid shoot way to close to houses.

Like I said, probably though he could get away with it......not sure WTF he was thinking......I mean if he had a crossbow or bowhunting maybe.

Warden Service got into a big crime that day, they must have loved that shit, being able to charge an out of stater!!

I mean, one of the guys at our club got a 250 dollar fine and loss of fishing license for a year, for his kid for putting a few live kivers in a bucket. This is much more major than that!!
Renter was from in state so you lose.
It’s a rental company policy. The owner is a sportsman.
You don’t think the 300’ state law was violated by 180? It applies to arrows and bolts as well.
Not sure and don’t care where you are from but discharging a rifle in a neighborhood somewhere say like on Concord Rd in Chelmsford should be OK by your logic?

Renter was from in state so you lose.
It’s a rental company policy. The owner is a sportsman.
You don’t think the 300’ state law was violated by 180? It applies to arrows and bolts as well.
Not sure and don’t care where you are from but discharging a rifle in a neighborhood somewhere say like on Concord Rd in Chelmsford should be OK by your logic?
Im not sure why you think I'm OK with what he did or think it should be OK? Its not my logic its OK to shoot that close to a house without permission? He DEFINATELY violated the law and should have been prosecuted accordingly. Re read what I wrote....I called him an idiot.

I am no way condoning what he did. Nor should I think he should use an arrow or a crossbow, simply saying if he was going to poach he wasn't too smart about it.

Guy was stupid not reading the rental policy if he was going up there to "hunt", kid was dumb, but he's just a kid. Neither of them were smart in where they discharged the rifle so close to a house.

I did assume the owner was out of state because of the rental......just an assumption he was a stupid NJ, MA, or NY city slicker dummy.

Making light of the way Maine Wardens act like some time is all I was making fun of, but certainly, the act was worthy of a citation or worse.

Unlike what they did to my buddy....ticketed him and his grandkid for basically nothing........but he said he's way better off.......after that bullshit, he just sold his property up there almost immediately! Funny thing is he sold it to two lesbians who posted the whole 100 acres! He would never post it and let all sorts of locals hunt up there on his place. Not any more.

Anyway, He collected his money from that sale, and bought down south and moved there almost full time now. He's loved it and has never seen a warden, and sees 10X the deer he did up in Maine, (smaller but he kills 2 instead of seeing crap) and fishing 20X better for bream and bass. He says that stupid Maine warden giving me and my grandkid a ticket for live fish in a bucket, was the biggest favor he could have ever done for me!! Thank you MWS!!

Last edited:
Im not sure why you think I'm OK with what he did or think it should be OK? Its not my logic its OK to shoot that close to a house without permission? He DEFINATELY violated the law and should have been prosecuted accordingly. Re read what I wrote....I called him an idiot.

I am no way condoning what he did. Nor should I think he should use an arrow or a crossbow, simply saying if he was going to poach he wasn't too smart about it.

Guy was stupid not reading the rental policy if he was going up there to "hunt", kid was dumb, but he's just a kid. Neither of them were smart in where they discharged the rifle so close to a house.

I did assume the owner was out of state because of the rental......just an assumption he was a stupid NJ, MA, or NY city slicker dummy.

Making light of the way Maine Wardens act like some time is all I was making fun of, but certainly, the act was worthy of a citation or worse.

Unlike what they did to my buddy....ticketed him and his grandkid for basically nothing........but he said he's way better off.......after that bullshit, he just sold his property up there. Funny thing is he sold it to two lesbians who posted the whole 100 acres! He have posted it and let all sorts of locals hunt up there.

Anyway, He collected his money from that sale, and bought down south and moved there almost full time now. He's loved it and has never seen a warden, and sees 10X the deer he did up in Maine, (smaller but he kills 2 instead of seeing crap) and fishing 20X better for bream and bass. He says that stupid Maine warden giving me and my grandkid a ticket for live fish in a bucket, was the biggest favor he could have ever done for me!! Thank you MWS!!
Our local warden is a really nice guy.
The reason no live fish can be kept is bucket stocking.
Some moron(s) introduced pike in a few ponds that is destroying the Brook Trout and Salmon fisheries.
The same type of so called sportsman introduced bass into Moosehead to the point of they were also screwing up the fish. No limit on them and they don’t want them released alive again for good reasons.

To be on the safe side......jfc.....why don't you just ask the owner of the property?!?!

It's insinuated that your asking here on nes the legality of it because your pretty sure the owners going to say no.....so instead your wondering how much legal trouble you'd get into if you just did it and the owner of the Airbnb got pissed. Why not just be a decent person and ask the owner.....or just don't do it.
He knows mom will say NO so he is asking dad.

Our local warden is a really nice guy.
The reason no live fish can be kept is bucket stocking.
Some moron(s) introduced pike in a few ponds that is destroying the Brook Trout and Salmon fisheries.
The same type of so called sportsman introduced bass into Moosehead to the point of they were also screwing up the fish. No limit on them and they don’t want them released alive again for good reasons.
Law is understood and probably has plenty good reasons. Most wardens probably would have given him a pass or warning is my guess.

But when your grandkid throws a few half dead kivers into a bucket and obviously your not going to re-stock them, they were obviously going to be used in a fish fry. I think a 250 dollar ticket from an overzealous Warden looking to fxck an out of stater who has property in state, and pays to go up there, and pays taxes as well is a little much.

Hey......the law is the law.....he didn't argue the ticket....paid the fine, lost his license for a year. Not that it mattered, he sold his place a week later, and the 100 acres was Posted as soon as the women bought it. Didn't love that fact, but he wasn't going to worry about it. Felt bad for the locals who hunted his place, and told them what happened and why he was leaving.

But like I said it worked out for him and his family, he's very happy about it now. Has 150 acres down south, his 4 kids and 3 grandkids and himself no longer buy licenses or spend any money or visit in Maine anymore. Instead they go down south to visit him, enjoy being able to use any weapon they want from Sept 15th on, a way longer season to plan vacations, and shoot a bunch of deer every year, where in Maine, they were lucky to shoot or even see one or two in a week.

Added to that all of them had sleds and paid for trails and registrations as well....... Traded them all for Quads and Side By Sides and run them down there.

Figure 8X hunting and fishing licenses and 8X Sled registrations X 30 years or more, and 100 acres of land posted to 2 people that will neve hunt, and whatever monies they spent in local commerce buying food, and supplies. That 250 dollar ticket cost the state and locality some revenues.

BTT.....

Last edited:
I understand that you would clean up after yourself, but the potential risks and consequences outweigh the benefits. Plus, it's always better to err on the side of caution and respect the neighborhood and other Airbnb guests. By the way, have you heard of the term "Airbnb superhost"? I came across an article recently that explained how Airbnb recognizes and rewards hosts who consistently provide outstanding hospitality to their guests. It's a great way to ensure that your stay is enjoyable and comfortable.

I would not want someone shooting on my property without asking. There is what is legal/breach of contract and then there is what is courteous and respectful of another's property. IMO, both are a consideration.
You risk pissing off the neighbors, pissing off the owner, and ruining it for any future gun owner. Your shooting might result in a ban on bringing any gun onto the property, regardless of whether it's fired, or possibly a complete Air B&B ban.

Don't do it. If you still want to do it, ask permission first, and then leave the area completely without litter, damage, or any suggestion that a gun was ever fired.

It's this kind of stuff that gives gun owners a really bad name.

85472800-385b7c00-b567-11ea-9b4b-a339648f38e8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom