• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Airbnb and Guns

So I rented an Airbnb house/lodge place in Grafton, VT that sits on 80 acres. Any reason I can't bring machine guns and shoot them on the property? I would pick up after myself, of course.

Is there any contract which you must sign which specifies what you can or can't do with the rental? I'd look there first for any clauses which say (paraphrased), "No gunz."

Then my initial "opinion" is that if it does not violate any local and/or state laws, then you are okay.

However I would not advise you to go on the word of some anonymous internet "expert". I'd still make some discreet inquiries in other places.

Then my initial "opinion" is that if it does not violate any local and/or state laws, then you are okay.

However I would not advise you to go on the word of some anonymous internet "expert". I'd still make some discreet inquiries in other places.

I agree. He should get advice from a plumber or the mailman.

To be on the safe side......jfc.....why don't you just ask the owner of the property?!?!

It's insinuated that your asking here on nes the legality of it because your pretty sure the owners going to say no.....so instead your wondering how much legal trouble you'd get into if you just did it and the owner of the Airbnb got pissed. Why not just be a decent person and ask the owner.....or just don't do it.

So I rented an Airbnb house/lodge place in Grafton, VT that sits on 80 acres. Any reason I can't bring machine guns and shoot them on the property? I would pick up after myself, of course.
You gonna pick up the lead too, or just the brass?

Wow, actual, good advice...

To be on the safe side......jfc.....why don't you just ask the owner of the property?!?!

It's insinuated that your asking here on nes the legality of it because your pretty sure the owners going to say no.....so instead your wondering how much legal trouble you'd get into if you just did it and the owner of the Airbnb got pissed. Why not just be a decent person and ask the owner.....or just don't do it.

You could always say something like, "Wow! If I had this much land in MA, I'd have a great private range." If that gets a positive response, invite him to shoot machine guns with you.

Assuming you live in MA then there is the matter of your 5320 travel pass. If you didn't get that it is easy but takes ~3 weeks

To be honest I don't think about this as something about guns. It's about what is proper use of the property, which you do not own, around the room that you are renting. And is the action/activity you are planning reasonable (not just legal). If you wanted to bring in a smoker and a bunch of friends, of course you'd clean up, I'd say NO, not without asking the owner. And it really doesn't matter whether it's "legal". I see no reason why I'd behave any different if the activity involved Guns.

You ask here because deep down you know it's unreasonable and you are looking for some kind of justification.

I'll add that if it was my property, and I rented a room, and I even shot there on a regular basis myself, I'd still be pissed if someone just started shooting without asking first.

And why not just ask if the owner knows any place you can shoot? If he doesn't say out back, then you've got your answer.

Remember, private property, NOT YOURS, show some respect. And it's not just about guns.

No way. If you rent a property it is "yours" for the time you rented it. You may do anything that is 1. legal and 2. not in contravention to your rental agreement. The owner may not like everything you do, but without any statement to the contrary you have the right to enjoy the property you rented.

No way. If you rent a property it is "yours" for the time you rented it. You may do anything that is 1. legal and 2. not in contravention to your rental agreement. The owner may not like everything you do, but without any statement to the contrary you have the right to enjoy the property you rented.
I would not want someone shooting on my property without asking. There is what is legal/breach of contract and then there is what is courteous and respectful of another's property. IMO, both are a consideration.

I would not want someone shooting on my property without asking. There is what is legal/breach of contract and then there is what is courteous and respectful of another's property. IMO, both are a consideration.

And if it is important, one should ask prior to booking the reservation.

If you do shoot on the property you better be darn sure that you're 100 percent legal. You can be confident that the police will be involved after you let a few magazines go and the freedom loving but gun hating neighbors go nuts. Then you're going to be up to your ass in cops and questions and probably ATF agents too. Vacation ruined, maybe guns illegally seized, and you fighting to defend your machine gun license. That's a bunch of crap I wouldn't want. My legal advice is to take a pellet rifle and have fun.

doesn't airbnb work the same as uber as far as ratings? as well as rating your driver, the driver can blackball you from the service? cannot the airbnb owner do the same.....give a heads up to other renters you may not be desirable as a client. I think so but not 100% sure, never used the service. i'd find out if I had a desire to use them again.

Wow, actual, good advice...
Additional benefit to thi
Not so sure you are correct. I Used to rent out a 4 tenement that my family owned. Had a shithead show up the weekend he moved in with a 4 place snowmobile trailer and parked it in the back yard. Illegal? Nope. In the contract that it was prohibited? Nope. Guess who had to move his f***ing snowmobile trailer off my lawn after we argued about it and I called the cops? He did.

Last edited:
You gonna pick up the lead too, or just the brass?

Yeah, I'd look into the cost of disposing of hazardous solid waste before you decide to leave a bunch of it behind on someone's property without permission. What are you even shooting into? Is there some kind of berm or just a bunch of trees as a backstop?

What are you going to shoot at? Will it damage their property?

This is what I was thinking. Some of the land could be used for wood harvesting. Steel jacket will damage saw chain and band saw blades making the wood worthless. The trees, if maple could also be used for syrup production shooting the trees up could interfere with production.

I wouldn't shoot on private property without the consent - and hopefully the presence - of the owner

Call the State and local police. They will be able to tell you where you can shoot it near where you are staying.

Dave

Some good advice here. Beyond what’s legal, What’s the right thing to do?
Yes they may say no Gunz, or no shooting on the property. Their house, their rules. They will also know if the neighbors are crazy or how the local police is or if people use the woods in the back.
You don’t want the cops involved. Next thing they call the owner and the owner says they never gave you permission.
On the owners side it could be viewed as a serious dick move for not asking. Renters do some crazy shit but it usually involves out of control parties or stealing shit from the house or leaving mystery stains on the mattresses.
I had a cousin rent a house from a friend. One day at lunch time, he walked on the dock and pissed right into the lake. The neighbors were pissed and my friend got s lot of grief. And yes my cousin is an a**h***

Last edited:
I personally would not shoot on any property without the consent of the owner. However, in this case I want to address a different issue about outdoor shooting.

The amount of acres does not determine whether there will be a safe area to shoot. You really need a backstop where all the bullets will be stopped, and natural land features often do not fit the bill. There is a reason that the backstop berms on gun ranges do not look like natural land features and are built with bulldozers. If you scout out a big patch of land, you may or may not find a good area to shoot. If you want to shoot into a hill, it needs to be quite steep or the rounds could potentially ricochet off the ground and go upwards.

Trees and woods are not a safe backstop, and if you fire into woods, you don't really know how far each round goes before it hits something solid. Also, in an unfamiliar area, you don't know where there may be paths and cut throughs used by hikers, hunters, horseback riders or ATV's.

In many cases, all of these problems are solvable after you do some scouting and successfully find a steep natural backstop. But I would not count on finding a good spot until I really looked around. Even a large amount of acreage does not guarantee a good place to shoot.

As an Airbnb owner and operator I can tell you I'd be PISSED if you did this without inviting me.

ETA - The right thing to do is to ask the owner. As an owner I know renters are gonna do things outside of my control. I have a no fireworks policy on the property as well as no smoking anywhere on the property on our vacation rentals. Guess what, people still light off fireworks and smoke. If I caught them or they did any damage to the property I WILL keep their security deposit and go after them for more if necessary.

Just ask the owner. If they say no look up the local laws and find another place to shoot. It's Vermont, there's woods everywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom