AICS AT Chassis AI Mag Seating (5 and 10), Rem 700 SPS TAC SD

Ranger007

NES Member
I did a search and did not find anything so if its a dupe please be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

I searched and searched and tinkered and I'm at my wits end. Have an issue with original AI MAGS, 5 and 10 rounders seating in a AICS AT Chassis on a Rem 700 SPS TAC SD. Rifle is original except AI AT Chassis, Hubber FCG and bolt knob. Eveything elese is factory spec/original.

what is your seating problem , mags too high and contact bolt or too low and wont feed properly.

I have a 700 I fitted bottom metal into a b&c stock and factory ai mags are just below the bolt. I tried a magpul mag. feed lips are thicker wont seat with bolt closed , will seat open but cant close the bolt.

before I tried filling my mag catch down I took 2 small washers and shimmed the action up, was not much but just enough to close the bolt over the magpul mag. seamed to work fine with dummy rounds but live fire it jammed twice with the ai's.

I took the washers out and just use the ai's, maybe the magpul wi work on another rifle later. maybe some of this will help you. I will check back when I get home tonight.

I put a Pacific tool and gauge bottom metal in a savage 12 with BC stock maybe 6 months ago, magpul mags worked, but the $100 AICS mag I bought wouldn't. I had to mess around with the feed lips with pliers to get the AICS to work.

What exactly is the problem? mag isn't catching at all, or is it a feeding thing? Also, is this a problem that just started or did you just install the stock and now can't get it working right?

Correct mag does not seat at all.

Tried 5 mags (3 5rnd'ers and 2 10rnd'ers) brand new AI steel mags. There is a notch in the mag that when inserted goes boyond the mag release lever. All 5 mags do not seat/catching the mag release lever thus holding it in the mag well. Yes bolt is removed from the receiver.

IMG_20170116_212817313.jpg in this pic you can see the notch on the mag by the roll pin, notice the mag release position

IMG_20170116_212836401.jpg here as the notch goes over the mag release it cams the lever. then it clicks and mag release returns to position of 1st pic.

IMG_20170116_213030493.jpg with mag locked in place, there is some room between feed lip and bolt rail

IMG_20170116_213108947.jpg this is pushing up on bottom of mag, it should move up and down once locked it

if yours is not doing this take the action out and try the mag in the stock alone, if it works that way you may have to remove the mag release and file it down to get the correct fit

JohnN thank you. Took the action out of chassis and all mags fit and and release as they should. Hit the Mag release lever a few times with a file and BINGO!

Back
Top Bottom