• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After state police lose AR-style rifle in town of Olean, officials offer few details

The weapon was not stolen and no further information will be released on the circumstances of it because it’s part of an ongoing internal administrative investigation,” O’Callaghan said.

He also declined to identify the trooper or troopers who misplaced the rifle, and did not immediately respond to questions as to whether ammunition was also misplaced with the weapon.

Left it in the bathroom... Or on the trunk of his car and it fell off as he drove off. Interestingly enough, I noted that it's not an evil ASSAULT WEAPON. It's just a "rifle".

What's amazing is that they're *ASKING FOR HELP* to find the rifle.

Imagine if they actually believed "assault rifles" were extra super dangerous:

"there's an atomic bomb out there somewhere, we kinda misplaced it. Could you help us find it please?"

If you find it and pick it up to deliver to the cop-shop, will you be arrested and charged with possession of a high capacity magazine and ammo and a rifle with a telescoping stock and a flash hider and pistol grip?

Imagine if they actually believed "assault rifles" were extra super dangerous:

"there's an atomic bomb out there somewhere, we kinda misplaced it. Could you help us find it please?"

If you find it and pick it up to deliver to the cop-shop, will you be arrested and charged with possession of a high capacity magazine and ammo and a rifle with a telescoping stock and a flash hider and pistol grip?

Well - the lower is the only serialized part. Everything else is "just parts".
Depending upon who finds it, it may get turned in, it might get sold for parts, or it might just get the lower swapped out...

9d442d1684eba9dd326f2fd580df1102.jpg

Have you seen my rifle?

My only takeaway from this is Rock River Arms is a firearms company that sells its products to fascist restrictive states and their organs of state security... I was going for Elizabeth Warren/Seth Moulten style hyperbole there. Anything for a dollar I guess.

Olean. Olean. Olean, Ooooleeaaahhhhnnnnnn.
Please don't take my AR just b'cuz ya'can.

I've sat here and given it a thunk
I left it on my cruiser's trunk
And it fell off while driving away, Olean.
Some lucky b-word picked it up
If we find him, we'll lock him up
Because of the hi-cap mag, Olean.

Well - the lower is the only serialized part. Everything else is "just parts".
Depending upon who finds it, it may get turned in, it might get sold for parts, or it might just get the lower swapped out...

You must have read those stories of people trying to turn in guns in the UK (like they instruct you to do) and then getting arrested for possession of the same gun, right?

Let's assume a 17 year old finds it and takes it to a police station. How many laws has he broken by doing that? How 'bout an unlicensed, but not PP adult? How 'bout a licensed adult?

There's practically zero incentive to actually help the cops here.

Southern Tier of NY, near the PA border. I had a girlfriend from Olean, many years ago...

Obligatory "why can't I ever find cool stuff on the ground"?

Thank You!

I thought one our journalistic experts misspelled Orleans.....as in Cape Cod.:D

You must have read those stories of people trying to turn in guns in the UK (like they instruct you to do) and then getting arrested for possession of the same gun, right?

Let's assume a 17 year old finds it and takes it to a police station. How many laws has he broken by doing that? How 'bout an unlicensed, but not PP adult? How 'bout a licensed adult?

There's practically zero incentive to actually help the cops here.

I'd part it out and cut up the receiver.[rockon]

officers should be charges with creating a dangerous situation, child endangerment , general mayhem if thats a thing, inciting riots from the outraged snowflakes. Im sure there are plenty more.
be crazy if someone found it and started taking pics of its travels like the garden gnomes

If someone does find it and fondels it before po-po arrives, do they go to jail for illegal possession of a extra super-killy weapon of war and mass destruction?

Southern Tier of NY, near the PA border. I had a girlfriend from Olean, many years ago...

Obligatory "why can't I ever find cool stuff on the ground"?
It is also just a hop skip and jump from Little Genessee where my mom was born and where she now rests. It's home to St Bonaventure University

I mentioned this in another thread last week. About 15-20 years ago, a Tampa area ossifer left his dept-issued full auto MP5 on the roof of his car and drove away. I don't recall if it was recovered but they CLAIMED there would be a don't-ask-don't-tell if you turned it in. They seemed someone disingenuous when saying it. LOL

I'm surprised that they refer to it as "AR-style". Usually police-owned rifles (especially previously owned lost ones) are given the friendly-sounding "patrol" rifle designation.

Back
Top Bottom