• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After state police lose AR-style rifle in town of Olean, officials offer few details

It's not like police have forgotten their assault rifle before.

image5.png
and we are suppose to trust such people to protect lives and properties. Smh

Yeah, I found one on the monkey bars at the local playground the other day. I threw it in the trash

Don't laugh......it happens!

Fifty or so years ago, I found a K98 Mauser and an M1 Garand in a trash barrel on my way home from school. Both were functional too!

I'm surprised that they refer to it as "AR-style". Usually police-owned rifles (especially previously owned lost ones) are given the friendly-sounding "patrol" rifle designation.

According to something I saw yesterday, they prefer "long gun"

[BPD requests "Long Guns"]

[Boston Police union overstates its request for "Long Guns"]

[Boston Mayor shocked by "Long Gun" request, only good for sniping and hostage situations]

[Different coverage of shocked mayor, and "Long military-style guns" would harm community policing efforts]

Don't laugh......it happens!

Fifty or so years ago, I found a K98 Mauser and an M1 Garand in a trash barrel on my way home from school. Both were functional too!

I take it you went home with a new to you K98 and a new to you M1. If not, don't tell me. I can't handle the idea that they actually were thrown out.

I take it you went home with a new to you K98 and a new to you M1. If not, don't tell me. I can't handle the idea that they actually were thrown out.

Oh, They most certainly went home with me, it was only a couple of houses away from mine. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the two butt stocks sticking up out of the typical galvanized metal trash can. I couldn't believe someone would just throw them away.
I still have the Mauser but I sold the Garand to an older kid a few blocks away(big mistake but I didn't know what I know now) for $150. For a 12 year old kid then, that was big money! I often wonder if he still has that pearl!

That Mauser has netted me 5 deer over the years and still shoots true. Has all the original Waffenampt stamps and proof marks with a 4 digit serial, circa 1944. Late war production but its a quality rifle.

A quick google search doesn't reveal any update, including the promised identity of the trooper that lost the rifle.

Anyone feel like calling them up and asking if they found it?

(you'll be guaranteed to get a speeding ticket next time you drive through NY, though...)

A quick google search doesn't reveal any update, including the promised identity of the trooper that lost the rifle.

(you'll be guaranteed to get a speeding ticket next time you drive through NY, though...)
It's OK, just found it on ebay.

Naturally they're not going to update or name names, they are too embarrassed.

Haven't the cops ever heard of boating accidents?

Maybe they should put something on the roof and hood of the cars so you can't put stuff there. Kind of like putting bird spikes up to keep birds off of surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom