Adventures in Shipping Ammo

I went to ship some handgun ammo to the winners of my 357 SIG Karma and also my ammo raffle donation for the TVI shoot. Here's what I found out-

I knew it had to go through UPS or Fedex and marked ORM-D (other regulated material domestic). So I packaged everything up, took it to a local shipping store that ships all carriers. The first person at the counter said it was illegal to ship ammo. I said, no, it was legal, can I speak to the manager. Manager says he can't ship it because they don't have HAZMAT training and I have to go to a real UPS Store. He calls UPS main number to verify this is true, they say yes, it's true. He gives me directions to nearest UPS store 10 miles away, so I go.

At UPS Store, the guy won't take it. He is the manager. He says I have to go to UPS Central shipping hub, but I have to be a licensed HAZMAT shipper! (WRONG)

Annoyed, I go home, call UPS Hazmat hotline- of course they're closed. So I spent the last hour researching online and reading federal regulations, and this is the DEFINITIVE answer-

Anyone can ship "small arms ammo" via UPS Ground. The only restrictions are-
(1) the package cannot exceed 66 pounds
(2) anything under 50 cal is considered small arms, as is 12 gauge.

You do NOT need to attend their one-day Hat Mat class any longer, but you must have an ORM-D label (printed or hand written) on the package.

These are FEDERAL regulations, not UPS regulations, the relevant regulations are: 49 CFR 173.24, and 49 CFR 173.24(a).

So, I will try on Monday at the main UPS counter and see what happens! Sorry if everyone already knew this, it is very confusing and you can get 10 different answers talking to 10 different people, but the above is the correct answer.

well, that sucks. If it is easier, and I live somewhat near you, I can pick up my winnings [wink]

PM me if that is easier. But yes, you are correct about the shipping part. Why can't UPS actually train their employees?

I went to ship some handgun ammo to the winners of my 357 SIG Karma and also my ammo raffle donation for the TVI shoot. Here's what I found out-

I knew it had to go through UPS or Fedex and marked ORM-D (other regulated material domestic). So I packaged everything up, took it to a local shipping store that ships all carriers. The first person at the counter said it was illegal to ship ammo. I said, no, it was legal, can I speak to the manager. Manager says he can't ship it because they don't have HAZMAT training and I have to go to a real UPS Store. He calls UPS main number to verify this is true, they say yes, it's true. He gives me directions to nearest UPS store 10 miles away, so I go.

At UPS Store, the guy won't take it. He is the manager. He says I have to go to UPS Central shipping hub, but I have to be a licensed HAZMAT shipper! (WRONG)

Annoyed, I go home, call UPS Hazmat hotline- of course they're closed. So I spent the last hour researching online and reading federal regulations, and this is the DEFINITIVE answer-

Anyone can ship "small arms ammo" via UPS Ground. The only restrictions are-
(1) the package cannot exceed 66 pounds
(2) anything under 50 cal is considered small arms, as is 12 gauge.

You do NOT need to attend their one-day Hat Mat class any longer, but you must have an ORM-D label (printed or hand written) on the package.

These are FEDERAL regulations, not UPS regulations, the relevant regulations are: 49 CFR 173.24, and 49 CFR 173.24(a).

So, I will try on Monday at the main UPS counter and see what happens! Sorry if everyone already knew this, it is very confusing and you can get 10 different answers talking to 10 different people, but the above is the correct answer.

I have absolutely NO problems shipping ammo at the Nashua NH UPS hub facility. As long as it has the blue ORMD sticker on it, they say OK, Thanks !

I preprint and prepay the UPS shipping label from the UPS website, so it takes me all of 30 seconds dropping off the package if there is no line in front of me.

If there is a line, the clerks usually notice the preprinted labels, and ask - "is that set to go? - just set it on the counter". I point to the Blue ORMD stickers, and the nod and say OK...

I went to a "UPS Store" and they told me that they were no licensed to ship ammo and I had to go to UPS directly. When to the UPS hub and they took it

They won't take ammo at the satilite shops and retail postal center type stores.

Like hikerlt said, take it to a "HUB". I take mine to the Hub in Brockton when I have to ship ammo. The satilite locations don't see it enough to know what to do or even what to tell you.

There must be a "Hub" near Providence

Just go to the main UPS hub, you won't have any problems there. The UPS stores cannot accept the ORM-D packages.

United Parcel Service (UPS):

1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds.
2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box.
3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic. Might be a good idea to have the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center number with you -- 800-554-9964. Varied success with UPS pick-up at your location.

Per UPS:
UPS accepts domestic ground shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information.

If you have a label for it and the ORM-D small munitions label on it, just give it to your local UPS driver. Be sure to have them scan it in and you are GTG.

I printed out the on line UPS requirements for shipping ammo and took them with me the first time I went to a Hub. Turns out I didn't need to show them. The girl at the counter knew the rules. It can't hurt to have them printed out anyway in case you get a new clerk.

What would happen if you just shipped it without any ORM stickers or letting UPS know?

Why is it that anyone that is a member of the ACLU is associated with this forum???" They don't even acknowledge the 2nd ammenment is an INDIVIDUAL right, what gives???

P.S. If the bill of rights are important to you why not the ACRU ( American Civil "RIGHTS" Union ),not the ACLU,never,never, they're a joke!!!

Hey, anything that pertains to the defense of the 2nd ammendment belongs here!!!

And if you allowed your brain cells to make some friction, you would notice that each topic you click on has a SPECIFIC topic! Your gripes are duly
noted but have nothing to do with shipping and UPS.

Hey bostonasphalt2, point taken on the thread crap! But how seriously can I listen to someone who wants us to send Obama-lite empty ammo boxes??? Be realistic yourself before before you make a snide remark to anyone else!!! I'm not really into these computer sites, but I've been an astute collector for over 50 yrs be careful how pronounce yourself, it may someday bite you in the butt!!!

well, that sucks. If it is easier, and I live somewhat near you, I can pick up my winnings [wink]

PM me if that is easier. But yes, you are correct about the shipping part. Why can't UPS actually train their employees?

No problem on shipping the karmas, I've got it figured out now!

Yes, you WOULD think UPS would make it easy for everyone to at least have the same answer- it's not that complicated once you know!

I avoid the UPS affiliated stores simply because of problems like this. The UPS hub that I usually use is much easier to deal with and I haven't had any problems. It sucks having to drive a distance if you're not near one.

On this topic, does anyone know of a web site where I could download and print out the ORM-D "logo" to attach to shipments like this?

Hey bostonasphalt2, point taken on the thread crap! But how seriously can I listen to someone who wants us to send Obama-lite empty ammo boxes??? Be realistic yourself before before you make a snide remark to anyone else!!! I'm not really into these computer sites, but I've been an astute collector for over 50 yrs be careful how pronounce yourself, it may someday bite you in the butt!!!

Sorry Derek, I have to reply.

My idea to send empty boxes to Deval was a angry burst of an adia. At least I tried to help. All I see you doing is criticising.

Don't be a troll. Information about how to ship ammo is important if you want to stay out of trouble in Massachusetts. Like you I've been collecting for over 40 years,l and just recently learned about the ORM sticker and how to legally send guns and ammo.

Center 442, send me an e mail at depicts comcast.net, and I will sned you a word document with an 8 up view of the ORM stickers. Don't forget the @

Bill

Keep in mind that "The UPS Store" has nothing to do with UPS and is "Mailboxes Etc." rebranded. Once you realize that, it all makes sense.

I avoid the UPS affiliated stores simply because of problems like this. The UPS hub that I usually use is much easier to deal with and I haven't had any problems. It sucks having to drive a distance if you're not near one.

On this topic, does anyone know of a web site where I could download and print out the ORM-D "logo" to attach to shipments like this?
Attached. Both Blue and Black.

Attachments

• ORM-D.jpg
    ORM-D.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ORM-D Black.jpg
    ORM-D Black.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 26
JohnM,

The man at the local store was correct in saying that he cannot accept shipments of ammunition. You will have no problems at a UPS Customer Center shipping firearms or ammunition, nor with a UPS driver, but, quite simply, only actual UPS employees and/or locations can receive UPS shipments of ammo for shipping.

I've shipped many many boxes of ammo all over the country without one whit of problems but I've always dealt with the hub at the airport as it's only 10 miles from my home.

NOT ONCE was I EVER challenged. I boxed up the ammo properly, slapped a blue ORM-D/Small Arms Cartridges label on it and off it went. I was never asked for any other forms of id or certificates and I always sent them to individuals at their homes.

I avoid the "UPS STORES" like the plague. They wouldn't even take a wood rifle stock for me. I made the mistake of answering their question as to what I was shipping. Consider the fact, too, that their boxes that would handle a rifle cost $40 and that's all I needed to never return to their store.

And, the idea of flagging down a UPS driver is an excellent one. Just have the label on the box attached and ready to ship and just give it to a UPS truck and away it goes. You can very easily open a UPS account on your computer and print everything you need on your PC including labels and receipts and you can set up notifications to your and your recipients email as the box travels. You pay by attaching a credit card to your account. Simple as pie. UPS is by far the easiest shipping service on the planet. I’ve shipped many dozens of firearms and hundreds of pounds of ammo in many boxes without a hitch. I thinned out my collection about six months ago and found that UPS was the way to move stuff across the fruited plain.

As for shipping ammo without a label, I would never consider it. ORM-D (Other Restricted Materials type “D”) tells UPS not to use air but only ground. While ammo is extremely safe to ship, there are strict rules about what goes on a plane and what does not. The ORM-D label keeps the box in trucks.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom