• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Actuating the magazine release without shifting grip

Any tips? I am tired of losing and then have to reattain my grip to push the magazine release. If I don't shift the gun in my hand then I tend to not press it in far enough. If I work at it really hard with my thumb I can get it in far enough, but it hurts the tendon working the thumb and still isn't reliable under stress. I shoot a 1911 %90 of the time and this is where I have the issue. I could use my off hand, but in IDPA if I need to retain I will not have a hand available to catch the mag. If the catch were reversible I would use my index finger, but that is not an option on the 1911 and I don't want to go for the S&A ambi-mag catch.

I have the same problem. It's not near the issue with my H&K but it is with any button type release.

You can use your weak hand thumb and either catch the mag in your hand for retention or let it drop free.

Last edited:
I don't think an extended release will help if your is not long enough to reach it. If it's close, it may provide the extra leverage needed, though.

I simply have not found a reasonable solution. Maybe Jim C. has an answer.

Stock length mag release, I wouldn't mind extended if it wasn't too out there. It would have to fit the IDPA and IPSC single stack rules.
Looking at:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9601&title=1911+AUTO+MAGAZINE+RELEASE
and:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20840&title=1911+AUTO+MAGAZINE+RELEASE

You can not use extended mag release on a 1911 in IDPA and I do not think it is allowed in USPSA Single stack either but will need to check the rule book.

You may need to find slimmer grip panels.

Edit to add: It is an allowed mod in Single Stack

Last edited:
Face facts -- sell your 1911s and get yerself a Glock! (grin)
For some that won't work either. I'm a dedicated "gun flipper" when it comes to reloads whether with my 1911's OR my Glocks. I MIGHT be able to get to the release on my G-17 without shifting the grip but definitely not on the .45's. I turned the catch around on a Taurus P-92 9mm and use my trigger finger to release the mags. I may try an S&A ambi unit on one of my competition 1911's one of these days but I've learned how to flip/release/reacquire grip pretty well over the years.

I would recommend just flipping the gun, it can be done quickly with practice, just becareful when moving right to left while doing a mag change as it is easy to break the 180

Shifting your grip

There is nothing wrong with shifting you grip to access the mag release. We routinely teach this technique to those of that have smaller hands. I must point out that doing this takes no additional time. As soon as you press the mag release and the mag drops, shift back to a firing grip while you are inserting a fresh mag.

I don't even need to see the video to know what you guys are talking about. If you practice enough you can make lighting fast mag changes on both a pistol and rifle.

Coming from Bullseye I thought moving my grip would ruin consistency. I guess the training issue here is learning a repeatable grip. Right now when my grip is good, it's fantastic, very little muzzle flip with 190 power factor ammo. When it's bad, I have to pause and readjust lest the pressure on the trigger throws my shots.

Coming from Bullseye I thought moving my grip would ruin consistency. I guess the training issue here is learning a repeatable grip. Right now when my grip is good, it's fantastic, very little muzzle flip with 190 power factor ammo. When it's bad, I have to pause and readjust lest the pressure on the trigger throws my shots.

Do you use a thumbs high and strong hand thumb on the safety grip or a crossed thumb grip?

Thumbs high with strong hand thumb riding the safety. My weak hand is wrapped around the strong hand and the weak hand thumb is basically in the air so it doesn't touch the slide release and the mag release.

I believe the Gunsite dogma is to toss the gun to shift your grip while reloading.

I can reach the mag release just fine without shifting my grip, so that's what I do (faster than shifting your grip...). But if your thumb isn't long enough, then you'll have to shift your grip.

Back
Top Bottom