Actor Accidentally Uses Loaded Gun In Play

rep308

NES Member
Why do these thing always seem to happen in FL?

http://www.theindychannel.com/entertainment/18527595/detail.html#-

Actor Accidentally Uses Loaded Gun In Play
Bullet Grazes Actor's Ear, Understudy Fills Role

POSTED: 5:26 am EST January 21, 2009

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Tragedy nearly struck a group of actors in Bradenton, Fla., when authorities say a loaded gun was accidentally used during a rehearsal.

Members of the Sarasota Senior Theater were rehearsing a scene from John Steinback's "Of Mice and Men" when one actor picked up a pistol he'd borrowed from another cast member.

He pointed the revolver at another actor's head and pulled the trigger. The shot grazed the man's ear. He was treated at a hospital and another actor took his place in the performance that went on as scheduled a few hours later.

No charges have been filed.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Poor Lenny, George really should have checked the chamber.

Actually stupid property manager. Check, check again and then check again. At least he was smart enough not to aim directly at his head even with 'blanks'.

Me must have been a bad shot. Aimed at the guys head and missed. Yeah I know it's a play and he wasn't really aiming....

Does anyone know the average distance involved in that scene of Of Mice and Men?

We used as starter pistol. More then loud enough and looked fine from the audience.
And that starter pistol can't chamber a live cartridge. That's proper safety procedure. Using a real gun will end up violating rule number 1.

We did it point blank but brought the lights down just before the shot so it went off in the dark.

Lights
"I see it George, I see it!"

BANG

1) the actor is a jerk for horsing around pointing guns at people's heads. Famous last words "I thought it wasn't loaded"

2) Not unexpected behavior. Was at the video store yesterday, about 1/4 of all video boxes have a picture of some jerk pointing a handgun at someone else. Sometimes they are flying thru the air pointing the gun, sometimes they are standing menacingly pointing the gun. Sometimes the hold the gun sideways and point it. Sometimes there are multiple people pointing guns. Get the point? If the media portrays that its ok to point guns at people, guess what? The moment some clown picks up a gun that is what he is going to do.

We are doing a very bad job at educating the public on safe gun handling. Where the heck is the NRA?

1) the actor is a jerk for horsing around pointing guns at people's heads. Famous last words "I thought it wasn't loaded"

2) Not unexpected behavior. Was at the video store yesterday, about 1/4 of all video boxes have a picture of some jerk pointing a handgun at someone else. Sometimes they are flying thru the air pointing the gun, sometimes they are standing menacingly pointing the gun. Sometimes the hold the gun sideways and point it. Sometimes there are multiple people pointing guns. Get the point? If the media portrays that its ok to point guns at people, guess what? The moment some clown picks up a gun that is what he is going to do.

We are doing a very bad job at educating the public on safe gun handling. Where the heck is the NRA?

He wasn't horsing around. In the final scene George shoots Lenny in the head.

Even a starter pistol using only a blank can kill someon if discharged close enough.
Blanks in a standard gun certainly can, and have killed people. An example being Jon-Erik Hexum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

But I thought that a starter pistol had the barrel blanked off, so that you don't get the pressure spike going forward? I'm not sure, since I don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom