Acquiring An Abandoned Rifle

My Boss Cleaned Out An Abandoned House And Found A Stevens 66B 22. He Said I Could Have It I Guess The Original Owner Bailed To Florida And Left Everything In The House. Anyway To Legally Register This? Im Not Even Sure if it was reg in the first place. sorry for caps im on my phone no internet at new apartment.

In your shoes, I talked to one of my LEO pals and asked that it be checked for stolen first. Then, I let a dealer do the transaction to me. Maybe a little paranoid but it worked for me and made sure I wasn't getting into a bucket of fecal matter.

Just my $0.02.

In your shoes, I talked to one of my LEO pals and asked that it be checked for stolen first. Then, I let a dealer do the transaction to me. Maybe a little paranoid but it worked for me and made sure I wasn't getting into a bucket of fecal matter.

Just my $0.02.

Sounds like good advice to me, but I'll wait to hear from jdubois. [wink]

That's what I'd recommend. Get the cops to run the gun, then if it's clean have an FFL transfer it to you.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I guess ill pull the serial and call the pd. ill make sure its clear before i take possession.

I do wonder if you try and do it the legal way and walk into an FFL saying, "Hi, could you please transfer this rifle to myself?" how many of them would send you packing.

Simple xfer is what I did for some guns my grandmother had in her house she was leaving from an abusive stepGD. That SOB threatened to "blow my head off". I made the report at the PD, they asked if I was in fear of my life, I replied no that I doubted he could find my residence with both hands but that if he did he'd be leaving in a body bag. I was told not to wound him and I said don't worry.
Anyway, I sent the paperwork into the state half filled out as he didn't have any sort of FID/LTC. Never heard a thing. This was pre 98 but I'll guess that these were pre 68 guns anyway. I know the .22 was the first powder gun I ever shot.

To bad that scum bag is still alive but she's a sweetheart and still driving @ 93. [grin] I will crap on his grave when the day comes.

Yea. i'm sure the state will love getting a FA10 with no seller fid number and no serial number. although it seems as though you can send them anything and never hear a word or get any recog that they even got your paperwork. no serial police will prob tell me to take a hike

Yea. i'm sure the state will love getting a FA10 with no seller fid number and no serial number.

They won't care, as they just input whatever you have on the form.

No serial number is pretty "normal" for a lot of really old guns, especially rifles and shotguns.

-Mike

Geoff-ever live out of state? That's where you bought it.... from another individual. I can't believe all this about FFL's and checking S/N's crap. Where does this come from?

Tell me what PD runs SN's for any schmuck off the street?
What FFL is going to "transfer" from you to you? Are you moron enough to pay them to do that?

Christ Almighty!

You are not knowingly in posession of stolen property, are you?

Point Taken. I will take it and send in an fa 10 the no serial number puts me at ease as far as tracking it goes.

What rifle? Jack.

This gets annoying. Someone asks about the proper, legal way to do something and on repeated occasions you instead post a statement clearly intended to encourage an activity that, while it shouldn't be, is clearly illegal [rolleyes]

We can argue the merits of the idiotic laws all we want, but when someone asks for the proper legal way to do something, they should get a correct answer.

What pistol? Jack.

What rifle? Jack.

What shotgun? Jack.

Last edited:
They get them all the time. They're filed as "Registration." There's never any seller information when you do a registration, only when there's a transfer.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom