access to hockomock swamp

Start at the Nip. Use google maps.

Or you can start at the Canoe club in West Bridgewater on River st and canoe in.

Be careful. It can get nasty in there, especially this time of year

On rt 106 across the street from fasten all, very wet,and nasty,
there is a stream to canoe from there.

Ive been using google maps,I can tell where you can get access but I want to make sure Im not trespassing across the land of another. Could you tell me where there are state made access points?

Watch out for Bigfoot, Aliens and Pterodactyls...other than those, you should be fine.

We used to go in from 495 in the 1980's until they posted it with no parking and no trespassing signs. I found it amusing that the signs say: State Property No Trespassing Police Take Notice. For a game management area... Now you can go in by way of the Snake River. Canoe up from Field St. Go up to the washed out bridge. You can also get in on Prospect Hill St. behind the Mobil station on 138 which accesses the RR bed which goes down behind the old Dog Track, or drive down the the end and go off to the left. Another way used to be by the other end of the same RR tracks near SE Reg Vocational School. This gets a little close to the school and there have been some problems with the gun free zone for what it is worth. There were a lot of deer in here in the 80's long before they got to be common everywhere. I haven't been in recently. Just be careful. There is so much water that even if you know where you want to go, you might not be able to get there from here... I was "lost" for over three hours one summer even though I knew the general direction to go to get out. There might be a little ice tomorrow but I doubt it will be safe. Have fun. Be safe. There are some big deer in there (along with Bigfoot, Aliens, and Devil Worshipers, no wait, that is Freetown). [grin] If you go, we want to see a picture of your deer.
White Feather

We used to go in from 495 in the 1980's until they posted it with no parking and no trespassing signs. I found it amusing that the signs say: State Property No Trespassing Police Take Notice. For a game management area... Now you can go in by way of the Snake River. Canoe up from Field St. Go up to the washed out bridge. You can also get in on Prospect Hill St. behind the Mobil station on 138 which accesses the RR bed which goes down behind the old Dog Track, or drive down the the end and go off to the left. Another way used to be by the other end of the same RR tracks near SE Reg Vocational School. This gets a little close to the school and there have been some problems with the gun free zone for what it is worth. There were a lot of deer in here in the 80's long before they got to be common everywhere. I haven't been in recently. Just be careful. There is so much water that even if you know where you want to go, you might not be able to get there from here... I was "lost" for over three hours one summer even though I knew the general direction to go to get out. There might be a little ice tomorrow but I doubt it will be safe. Have fun. Be safe. There are some big deer in there (along with Bigfoot, Aliens, and Devil Worshipers, no wait, that is Freetown). [grin] If you go, we want to see a picture of your deer.
White Feather

Thanks for the info white feather. I wouldent even venture near the school because of the reason you listed. Im ocd about where I hunt so I dont get screwed over by the states gun laws.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The easiest place to go is off Prospect Hill. Park on right after the bridge over the abandoned rr. Head down the rr bed away from the bridge. Before you get to the old dog track, head in on the left. Not swampy here. Since primitive starts tomorrow (?) you should just scout/hunt then. If you canoe up Snake River, get out at the washed out metal bridge and head off to the right over the bridge (right with respect to the river) used to be a field out there. Check Google satellite. If you are careful here you won't need to get into crappy swamp (which seriously, most of the Hock is...crappy/dangerous, you might not come back). Not being dramatic, unless it is completely frozen, even with waders you will have problems in MOST of the area.
White Feather

Thanks for the info white feather. I wouldent even venture near the school because of the reason you listed. Im ocd about where I hunt so I dont get screwed over by the states gun laws.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That is the drier end. There are even a few "islands" that might be above water. We used to park on 106 at the rr bed. Sometimes there would be EPO never police. Scout it for signs (not sign). Might be fun to ride a mountain bike down the rr bed to scout the whole area quickly and quietly (with or without the rifle.)
White Feather

one huge issue is getting out of a swamp after dark.

I lost the trail while returning from duck hunting one evening and wound up searching for the trail til it was good and dark , then having to make a straight line hike to the road for about a half mile thru pretty rough terrain. this might not sound like much, but It sucked pretty bad - climbing over dead fall, little islands and around and thru pools that went shoulder deep. I was lucky to have chest waders on so I didn't get totally soaked, which can be a game ended in these cold temps. and yes I had a headlamp and man was i "smoked " when I got to the road.

Most people reading this who haven't been there would say a half mile...meh. Unless you been there, you can't imagine how difficult it can be. Stick to the edges. Use trail tape and brighteyes markers, bring several good flashlights and at least hip waders. If you stay near the rr bed you. won't have to worry. Of course the difficulty of the terrain is what makes it so good... Start small, learn a small area and then expand. Good luck. Be safe.
White Feather
one huge issue is getting out of a swamp after dark.

I lost the trail while returning from duck hunting one evening and wound up searching for the trail til it was good and dark , then having to make a straight line hike to the road for about a half mile thru pretty rough terrain. this might not sound like much, but It sucked pretty bad - climbing over dead fall, little islands and around and thru pools that went shoulder deep. I was lucky to have chest waders on so I didn't get totally soaked, which can be a game ended in these cold temps. and yes I had a headlamp and man was i "smoked " when I got to the road.

Bring a GPS - or put an app on your phone that allows you to record your route in - so you can easily back track - even in the dark..... That is an invaluable tool. I never go into unfamiliar woods without it.

If you;re on Android - check out US Topo Maps Free... It will give you a topo map view of the terrain - which is invaluable AND lets you set way points and record your route. I liked it so much I got the paid version.

It also lets you bulk download maps - so it even works where you have no cell/data service.

Last edited:
Bring a GPS - or put an app on your phone that allows you to record your route in - so you can easily back track - even in the dark..... That is an invaluable tool. I never go into unfamiliar woods without it.

If you;re on Android - check out US Topo Maps Free... It will give you a topo map view of the terrain - which is invaluable AND lets you set way points and record your route. I liked it so much I got the paid version.

It also lets you bulk download maps - so it even works where you have no cell/data service.

Damn, that's pretty awesome. I might look into that!

For those of you (like me) who take their smartphone everywhere, and makes use of GPS and other features, I heartily encourage you to invest $50 portable battery charger. Mine's got 5200mAh, is about the size of two D cells, and gives me (supposedly) 12 hours additional talk time. It'll re-charge up to two devices. My Droid will eat up its charge in a matter of three hours or less when I've got GPS and other apps running. I always throw the charger in my backpack now.

For those of you (like me) who take their smartphone everywhere, and makes use of GPS and other features, I heartily encourage you to invest $50 portable battery charger. Mine's got 5200mAh, is about the size of two D cells, and gives me (supposedly) 12 hours additional talk time. It'll re-charge up to two devices. My Droid will eat up its charge in a matter of three hours or less when I've got GPS and other apps running. I always throw the charger in my backpack now.

Can they take replaceable batteries like AA or D cells or even CR123? That would be way cool as you can even bring spare batteries.

But I find my cell will last the day so long as I don't have the screen lit all the time. Just tap the power button when not looking at the phone and put the screen to sleep. That's the biggest battery killer in my experience. With the app I mention I also bulk download the maps ahead of time. So that saves data consumption and battery. My experience is that I can get a full day out of my phone. But this suggestion is a good one as everyone's experiences can differ.

What portable charger do you use?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom