ABC's 20/20 Wants Your Self-Defense (with firearm) Stories

20/20 is doing a story on gun-related self-defense, and is soliciting interviewees. Spread the word!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3015150

Have you ever defended yourself from a crime in your home, in your business, or in public by using a gun? Perhaps you warded off a potential attacker by simply showing a gun?

40 states now allow their citizens to obtain conceal-carry permits for handguns. Some people say that's dangerous, while others say it allows them to protect themselves.

If you have a story of self-defense involving the aid of a gun and would like to tell it to 20/20, please fill out the form below. A "20/20" producer may contact you.

This is one time where I wished I had. I'd fill it out in a heart beat.

I'm not in that situation either. And I'd be leery of telling my story to 20/20. I'd be afraid they'd do some editing magic and twist the story to fit their own purposes. I'd only work with them if I had some sort of power of final approval on the finished work.

I agree, I wouldn't trust them to be non-biased. If you're not careful your story would be the example of why concealed carry is a bad thing!

the kind of person who would jump at this might not be the kind of person i want representing my rights..
tackleberry_.jpg

I'm not in that situation either. And I'd be leery of telling my story to 20/20. I'd be afraid they'd do some editing magic and twist the story to fit their own purposes. I'd only work with them if I had some sort of power of final approval on the finished work.

I think that of all shows, 20/20 is one of the more likely to be sympathetic to responsible gun owners. Clearly they're looking for good examples of positive gun-ownership. I think the benefit well outweighs the risk.

Even if I had a story, I'd also be leary about this. You'd have to take a leap of faith that 20/20 wouldn't mess with your story, making you look like one of the bad guys. I'd also have to consider whether I reported the incident, because if you didn't and your story was on national television, your local LEO might take an interest. Plus you've just announced that you conceal carry, where you're bound to be recognized by your neighbors and other locals. You've just announced that you have guns, making you a mark for any scumbag in your area.

Don't do it.

It is impossible to guarantee that they will be fair and impartial. In fact, the odds are against it.

Don't do it.

It is impossible to guarantee that they will be fair and impartial. In fact, the odds are against it.

This is true. I remember when ABC sent the sports van and reporters to Camp Perry, only to do a hatchet job on the DCM. Everyone thought they were doing a sports story until it aired.

B

If it's for Stossel's corner of the show, I'd say yes.

Anywhere else...

I once won a state accordion championship when I was a kid (now there's a sentence you don't read every day). The local newspaper sent someone down to do a little interview. She was a nice lady. We talked all about accordions, practicing, my teacher, how I had just hurt my hand doing something stupid, and how I was about to go on my first trip to Poland that summer.

By the time the story got printed, it was headlined something about my "fickle finger of fate" and the article was all about how I wasn't going to the national competition due to my ruined hand. Huh? Thanks for the cheap shot to a 13 year old, lady!

If they can screw that up, imagine what they can do to your personal gun story!

PS: PM me if you need an accordion player for anything.

I'm pretty surprised by all the paranoia coming from this list. Sure, the press isn't to be trusted, but I think that there is a much higher potential for "damage" if responsible, positive gun-owners refuse to talk about their stories out of fear or cowardice. If this happens, all that's left for the press are the commandos and other whack-jobs. Exactly the kind of image that we'd like to see gone!

So remember, this is an opportunity to tell a story accurately, and there is every indication that this is a positive, objective piece. We have MUCH more to gain by providing a positive image, than there is a risk that they'll twist it.

This is a good chance to stand up and speak out. Use it.

If I had a story to tell, it would only be if I received a signed agreement by 20/20 under penalty of a multi million dollar sum, placed in advance into the custody of a third party lawyer, to be paid to me immediately if it were aired with any editing whatsoever.

I don't trust ANY reporter or "journalist" as far as I could throw them.

The Hanson town ordinance against people under twentyone shooting machineguns in their town is a direct result of a reporter.

If they wanted a story from me, it would cost them dearly....up front.

Don't do it.

I totally disagree. John Stossel is a good guy, he's on our side. He's got to be a good guy, FAIR hates him! [laugh]

Anyone who has followed John's career knows he's conservative. Check out his Myths About Gun Control. I'd feel safe telling my story (if I had one) providing he was doing the report.

Last edited:
I'm pretty surprised by all the paranoia coming from this list. Sure, the press isn't to be trusted, but I think that there is a much higher potential for "damage" if responsible, positive gun-owners refuse to talk about their stories out of fear or cowardice.

+1... whatever happened to "Trust, but verify" ? While generally the media
slams guns, this -might- be a good opportunity.

-Mike

I'm pretty surprised by all the paranoia coming from this list. Sure, the press isn't to be trusted, but I think that there is a much higher potential for "damage" if responsible, positive gun-owners refuse to talk about their stories out of fear or cowardice. If this happens, all that's left for the press are the commandos and other whack-jobs. Exactly the kind of image that we'd like to see gone!

So remember, this is an opportunity to tell a story accurately, and there is every indication that this is a positive, objective piece. We have MUCH more to gain by providing a positive image, than there is a risk that they'll twist it.

This is a good chance to stand up and speak out. Use it.

If you really believe that then you need to go see how badly the mainstream press manipulated and butchered the facts about what happened to Jim Zumbo. The only way I would contribute to this story is if John Stossel himself contacted me and said he was doing the story. Otherwise some nitwit like Babba Wawa is probably going to end up doing it and that will not turn out good.

If you really believe that then you need to go see how badly the mainstream press manipulated and butchered the facts about what happened to Jim Zumbo. The only way I would contribute to this story is if John Stossel himself contacted me and said he was doing the story. Otherwise some nitwit like Babba Wawa is probably going to end up doing it and that will not turn out good.

I was tempted to get into an argument about Zumbo, what he really said, and the accuracy of the reporting.

But I won't, because it isn't relevant. At all.

Yes, the press distorts things. Sometimes quite badly.

But to outright assume that this is ALWAYS the case, when evidence (reputation) of the agency points exactly otherwise, and ESPECIALLY when there is a LOT to be gained by an honest story from an upstanding citizen.

The paranoia and cowardice around here is really disappointing.

So every group of responsible, decent gun owners will sit around debating whether the trust shoulld never be trusted at all, or might possibily be trusted in certain narrow circumstances, but never volunteering to step forward to be seen as gun owners. Then they'll lament the fact that the media always ignores decent, responsible gun owners in favor of some two-tooth dufuss, a Rambo wannabe and a couple of white-power militia types. [rolleyes]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom